UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 20 million people watched Ufc 147 in Brazil

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

6/24/12 11:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mcpeepants232003
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's insane, and people wonder why they didn't scratch the card. No matter how poorly the card does in ppv buys(even if it does 100,000 it will pay for half the cost) it will have to be viewed a success because of the huge amount of fans who watched it in Brazil.

http://www.tatame.com.br/2012/06/24/UFC--UFC-supera-estreia-de-Ronaldinho-em-BH
6/24/12 11:27 PM
Chris27
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I saw that on another site.

Huge success, they did like 16k tickets and 20 million viewers for a TUF finale.

Wonder what Silva/Sonnen does. I could see Silva/Sonnen doing 30 to 40 mill easy.

Brazil is the market, I bet JDS/cain and Aldo vs Koch/Zombie will headline the Oct card in Brazil if they are healthy.

That shit would be huge.
6/24/12 11:29 PM
mcpeepants232003

Chris27 - Yeah I saw that on another site.

Huge success, they did like 16k tickets and 20 million viewers for a TUF finale.

Wonder what Silva/Sonnen does. I could see Silva/Sonnen doing 30 to 40 mill easy.

Brazil is the market, I bet JDS/cain and Aldo vs Koch/Zombie will headline the Oct card in Brazil if they are healthy.

That shit would be huge.

I think with Cain/JDS off 152 they will put Aldo/KZ on that card. Canada is still a huge market and they need to bring a title fight to Toronto.

Instead of Aldo/KZ they could have a bw or flyweight title fight on the card. Obviously if Barao could beat Faber that would be a good option.

Also Vitor, Wandy, Big Nog and Lil Nog should all be back around then also.
6/24/12 11:29 PM
Juicymma
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this keeps up, there's not gonna be any more north American cards lol.

Seriously, they don't bitch if a cars isn't stacked, they just wanna see fights, and that's fucking awesome. Phone Post
6/24/12 11:30 PM
epwar
674 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes Dana's "I'm disappointed" comment look pretty lame.
6/24/12 11:34 PM
tinytuffnutz
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sam Soul - Zuffa confirmed for another dark age.

MMA is doomed, etc, etc

Love it! 20mill is crazy.
6/24/12 11:43 PM
Dougie
1418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow!
6/24/12 11:49 PM
Chris27
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mcpeepants232003 - 
Chris27 - Yeah I saw that on another site.

That shit would be huge.

I think with Cain/JDS off 152 they will put Aldo/KZ on that card. Canada is still a huge market and they need to bring a title fight to Toronto.

Instead of Aldo/KZ they could have a bw or flyweight title fight on the card. Obviously if Barao could beat Faber that would be a good option.

Also Vitor, Wandy, Big Nog and Lil Nog should all be back around then also.

I hear Aldo is targeting an Oct return so who knows.

I think BJ/Rory is a good enough main event, BJ is a legend and a name and Rory is the hot prospect coming up.

No way Flyweight titel fight is the main event, they are probably putting that fight on an FX card. Also will Vitor be healed and ready by Oct?
6/24/12 11:52 PM
Loxly
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how many would watch if they had to pay 55.00 like North America?
6/25/12 12:42 AM
Brian Rule
644 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loxly -  how many would watch if they had to pay 55.00 like North America?

This. USA is becoming the wrong place to be a UFC/Boxing fan
6/25/12 12:46 AM
mcpeepants232003

if the Ufc could draw 20 million viewers in the US they'd be on free tv.

It's not the Ufcs fault that mma is not mainstream in the US but is in Brazil. They are just doing what makes sense business wise.

Of course everyone on this forum is an expert at running mma orgs and nearly every guy on here bitches like a 13 year old girl with pms so this gets swept under the rug.
6/25/12 1:04 AM
Acidic

MMA is doomed in th US

Countries like Brazil love crazy shit like this. Sadly this country is pussafied to the point they dont like MMA much.
6/25/12 1:16 AM
tenchu

The current PPV model is crap.
Too expensive for the dedicated fan and is a barrier to the potential mainstream viewer. Needs to be more accessible.
6/25/12 1:53 AM
mcpeepants232003

tenchu - The current PPV model is crap.
Too expensive for the dedicated fan and is a barrier to the potential mainstream viewer. Needs to be more accessible.

The Ufc sold almost 7 million ppvs last year and is on pace to sell more than 7 million this year(while doing 2 less ppvs). They have averaged 400-466,000 ppvs the last 2 years even when they've had a down period with injuries.

If it's too expensive than why do so many people still buy ppvs? The Ufc isn't going to make less money just so you watch more ppvs. Sorry dude but the point of a business is to make money not to make it more affordable for Tenchu.
6/25/12 2:03 AM
MMALOGIC

the options for the brazil card in october is already stacked.

Cezar can fight sarafian if he heals... which was the original mw final.

Rony Jason can fight Rodrigo Damn which would have likely been the FW final if Damn wasnt pulled for medical reasons.

Vitor can fight Wand.

Aldo can fight Koch or Zombie.

JDS can fight Cain.

This card would sell out a stadium in Brazil.
6/25/12 2:12 AM
Jayreeee
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mcpeepants232003 -

if the Ufc could draw 20 million viewers in the US they'd be on free tv.

It's not the Ufcs fault that mma is not mainstream in the US but is in Brazil. They are just doing what makes sense business wise.

Of course everyone on this forum is an expert at running mma orgs and nearly every guy on here bitches like a 13 year old girl with pms so this gets swept under the rug.
Good post Phone Post
6/25/12 2:12 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 06/25/12 2:37 AM
The UFC could get 10 million plus watching it's major fox events if they can build the audience by editing tuf like the contender and convincing Fox to place it on network television in a late night time slot.

6/25/12 2:37 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 06/25/12 2:40 AM

I believe the ppv model will go away and be converted into a subscription model.  you wont sell 50 dollar ppvs in brazil but can you get 10 million of them subscribing for 9.95 a month?  can you get 5 million? 

with just 5 million you already surpass the USA in terms of revenue.  all you need is roughly 2.5 million subscribers in brazil at 9.95 a month and you surpass UFC ppv revenue.  at 4.95 a month all you need is 5 million subscribers.

now the only way this could happen is if everyone is consuming visual content via the internet... meaning evereyones TV is connected and being fed content via the internet.

Google and most everyone in the tech industry predict this will happen within the next 8 years.

As this happens I predict the UFC will have 2 global feeds... one free (domestic tuf, prelims, unleashed, countdowns, primetimes, etc...) and one subscription based (fight night main cards, ppv's, behind the scenes, the tuf's outside of your country, etc...)

I predict the subscription will be between 4.95 to 9.95.. and may go as high as 19.95 in certain markets.

Like the USA... it's not a mainstream market yet.  so you have a pool of around 1 million buyers.  you will likely generate more revenue in the USA with 19.95 or 14.95 a month than you will with 9.95 or less.

In a market like brazil the sweet spot will probably be 4.95 or 9.95 a month.

The UFC could be generating more than 2 billion dollars a year in subscirption fees, mechandise, gates, etc... when it's all said and done.

And with extremely healthy profit margins.  fighter pay will always be around 25% and once global expansion hits a critical mass costs go down.

6/25/12 4:20 AM
mcpeepants232003

MMALOGIC - The UFC could get 10 million plus watching it's major fox events if they can build the audience by editing tuf like the contender and convincing Fox to place it on network television in a late night time slot.

I agree they could probably pull 10 million viewers but only for big cards like Evans/Jones, Silva/Sonnen, hw title fights and any Jones, Gsp or Silva fights.

The problem is Fox doesn't pay enough for the Ufc to give them the big time cards fans would like. They can't give them fights like Evans/Jones, Silva/Sonnen or Gsps return because a card like Silva/Sonnen can bring in nearly as much revenue, in one card, as Fox pays them for a year of content(with 4 Fox cards, 6-8 fuel cards, 6-8 fx cards, 2 tuf finales, 2 seasons of tuf and literally thousands of hours of programming for fuel).
6/25/12 6:01 AM
UKD12
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

I believe the ppv model will go away and be converted into a subscription model.  you wont sell 50 dollar ppvs in brazil but can you get 10 million of them subscribing for 9.95 a month?  can you get 5 million? 

with just 5 million you already surpass the USA in terms of revenue.  all you need is roughly 2.5 million subscribers in brazil at 9.95 a month and you surpass UFC ppv revenue.  at 4.95 a month all you need is 5 million subscribers.

now the only way this could happen is if everyone is consuming visual content via the internet... meaning evereyones TV is connected and being fed content via the internet.

Google and most everyone in the tech industry predict this will happen within the next 8 years.

As this happens I predict the UFC will have 2 global feeds... one free (domestic tuf, prelims, unleashed, countdowns, primetimes, etc...) and one subscription based (fight night main cards, ppv's, behind the scenes, the tuf's outside of your country, etc...)

I predict the subscription will be between 4.95 to 9.95.. and may go as high as 19.95 in certain markets.

Like the USA... it's not a mainstream market yet.  so you have a pool of around 1 million buyers.  you will likely generate more revenue in the USA with 19.95 or 14.95 a month than you will with 9.95 or less.

In a market like brazil the sweet spot will probably be 4.95 or 9.95 a month.

The UFC could be generating more than 2 billion dollars a year in subscirption fees, mechandise, gates, etc... when it's all said and done.

And with extremely healthy profit margins.  fighter pay will always be around 25% and once global expansion hits a critical mass costs go down.

Now THAT is a post.

Logic'd. Phone Post
6/25/12 8:12 AM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 06/25/12 8:14 AM
mcpeepants232003 - 
MMALOGIC - The UFC could get 10 million plus watching it's major fox events if they can build the audience by editing tuf like the contender and convincing Fox to place it on network television in a late night time slot.

I agree they could probably pull 10 million viewers but only for big cards like Evans/Jones, Silva/Sonnen, hw title fights and any Jones, Gsp or Silva fights.

The problem is Fox doesn't pay enough for the Ufc to give them the big time cards fans would like. They can't give them fights like Evans/Jones, Silva/Sonnen or Gsps return because a card like Silva/Sonnen can bring in nearly as much revenue, in one card, as Fox pays them for a year of content(with 4 Fox cards, 6-8 fuel cards, 6-8 fx cards, 2 tuf finales, 2 seasons of tuf and literally thousands of hours of programming for fuel).

yeah, the jones vs evans fights on fox wont happen.  unless they start making NBA money... and the sponsoships are just not there... still I dont think Zuffa would give up the pay model because then they'd be beholden to the sponsors...  they can be put out of business overnight by dana white calling someone a faggot.

I do believe however, if they can get tuf on fox the baseline numbers for the fox fight nights would go up dramatically.  instead of diaz/miller pulling 2.5 mil they could pull 4.5mil with a 2.6 rating... a 2.6 rating is a blockbuster for the timeslot.  major league baseball pulls a 0.6 to a 0.9 rating in the same time slots... nhl playoffs pulled a 0.7 rating in the same time slot. 

And it's not like tuf would have to be a loss leader on fox to drive up viewership for the fight nights...   tuf was pulling a 1.0 on spike.  Jimmy Kimmel avarages a 0.5... leno and letterman current season average is a 0.8...  And Fox doesnt have a late night line up.  They can give the wednesday 11pm slot to tuf instead of playing reruns 1 night of the week which would be a net positive on it's own merit wihout the fight night bumps.

The UFC is a blockbuster for Globo... It can also be a blockbuster for Fox if they use it right.

6/25/12 8:23 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 06/25/12 8:23 AM
superCalo - Who actually believed this ? There are only like 50,000.TVs in the whole of Brasil, and they went all watching the TVs in soccer stadiums, and the long awaited final of the top Brazilian soap opera "rio nights " was on at the same time as,the, ppv which is expected to have the biggest ever rating for that time slot TV show. Phone Post

they laid the same bullshit out last time. except they claimed 60 million. lol

numbers are incredibly inflated though.
6/25/12 8:23 AM
Humphrey

6/25/12 8:41 AM
dudefromisrael
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Source?

And I not mean source like the link you posted, I mean a source that actually states what you're saying
6/25/12 8:46 AM
ChaosOverkill
889 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Until it's sexy dramatastic mainstream shoe shined the US won't support it like other countries do.

Needs to be trendy for Americans to like it.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.