UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Casting and affect on swing path

6/24/12 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bad Monkey
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Today on the range I was working on getting my swing path more in to out and was having good success with my irons (was getting the push/draw I am seeking), but my driver and 3w wouldn't come around.  Mostly shots that start on the target line and start to draw, or hook.  Overall an improvement with what I've been doing lately with my woods, but not quite where I want to be.

Later at home, not completely satisfied with my range session I take to the back yard.  After going back and forth with an 8i and Driver, I notice that I maintain lag with the 8i, but start to throw the driver more from the top.  So, I start to swing the driver like I do my irons, and the path (based on the blur of the club head whizzing by) appears to be better, but I can't hit any balls down the street to verify.

So my question to the pro's-

Is maintaining lag key to the proper in to out swing path?

Does casting the club eliminate all hope of a push/draw?

Am I retarded or on the verge of an "AHA!!!" moment?

Looking at you Animal Chin.

6/24/12 11:58 PM
Bad Monkey
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/25/12 12:13 AM

Dub
6/25/12 5:18 PM
Animal Chin
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

casting will certainly affect your path. you also need to see where your shoulders are lined up. a lot of people have their shoulders open at address and that will cause you to come to the inside.

where is your head at impact? is it over your back foot? if not, you're sliding and that will cause you to throw the club at the ball and hit it all over the place with shitty contact.

try to flatten your swing a little with driver. that'll help too.
6/25/12 8:36 PM
Bad Monkey

At address, I set up with shoulders square to target line with a slightly closed stance.  The closed stance is new to me, and it seems to stop me from coming for out to in considerably, but still can't get the club head out through the ball.

I've been focusing on keeping my head still during my swing, my right ear is in line with the inside of my right knee at impact.  

Will lagging the club help to naturally get me on the right path?
6/25/12 10:47 PM
Animal Chin
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If your shoulders are square and your feet are closed, your going to come inside easier. Try closing your shoulders if you can but I'd suggest having everything square.

Yes, more lag will help. Staying behind the ball and hitting up on it with driver will automatically create more lag. You don't want too much or you'll have to rely on timing too much. Think Sergio Garcia or Ben Hogan type swing. that's nice and all, but think about how many balls Hogan hit a day to make it work. Do you have that kind of time to work on your swing?

If you can ever make it to the gulf coast I'll fix you. Guaranmuthafuckintee.
6/25/12 11:37 PM
Bad Monkey

Thanks for the help, I'll work on staying back and maintaining some lag.  It's weird, I have no problem lagging my irons, but when I get woods in my hands I guess I just spaz out.

I can't wait to get back to the range and get to work.  Usually I go to the range and try to figure it out, it will be nice to go with something specific to work on.  I'll let you know how it goes.

7/4/12 9:07 AM
cdog1955
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since you don't cast with your irons, but you do with your woods, it's proably a mental issue, you even mentioned spazzing.
Here is a drill that will help you cure that, take a any wood that your having trouble with , and at the range hit it 100 yds or less. Full swing, hit it to a set distance you choose of 100 yds or less, work on getting the desired ball flight you want, when you can do it consistantly, increase the yardage.

The shorter the distance you start with, the better, just use a FULL SWING.

I got this drill when i bought a whippy driver, they had you start at the 40 yd distance, so i started to do this with all my clubs, it was a bitch at first for me, even with my pitching wedge using a full swing.
8/30/12 4:02 PM
Flaboy239
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Animal Chin, where are you located on the gulf coast?
8/30/12 4:55 PM
Animal Chin

Mobile/Biloxi
8/30/12 5:09 PM
Flaboy239
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh nm. I'm down in SW Florida. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.