UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> bow experts (bow fishing)

6/25/12 5:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thoughts on this?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/PSE-Kingfisher-Bowfishing-Package/1299763.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbow%2Bfishing%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D40%26search%3Dbow%2Bfishing%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=bow+fishing

PSE Kingfisher Bowfishing Package

•Complete package - ready to hit the water
•Includes bow, reel, line, arrow, point and bowfishing rest
•Three draw weights to suit your shooting style

The PSE Kingfisher Package comes with everything you need to get into bowfishing without spending a bunch. PSE’s Kingfisher is a durable, hard-shooter that goes easy on your budget. It features an all-season camo finish. Right hand only. Package includes: Kingfisher recurve bow, front-mounted reel, 50 yards of 80-lb.-test line, 31" solid-fiberglass bowfishing arrow with point and a Snap Shot rest.
Draw weights: 40 lb., 45 lb., 50 lb.

im a lefty but the righty recurve will work. any thoughts on it? im using it to rid my dads boat dock and area of carp. i only want a recurve and it doesnt need to be top notch.
6/28/12 8:59 PM
Byrd

for the love of god, one of you deer shooters should know something.
6/28/12 9:35 PM
Willybone
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always wanted to try it, but CT's a bit of a pain in the ass about it. Almost no bodies of water qualify as valid bowfishing areas.
7/7/12 1:01 AM
Muppetmower88

its nice. I actually just bought the ams pro retriever combo package and put that on my current bow, which if i can muster up the 1000 bucks for a new bow it will stay my bow fishing rig. But I hear alot of good things about the king fisher kit.

Recurve is nice help you become a good shot.
7/7/12 3:01 AM
Byrd

thanks muppet,

gonna pick this up in a few months.
7/18/12 11:21 AM
Byrd

http://www.cabelas.com/product/PSE-Wave-Bowfishing-Package/1299761.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwave%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=wave&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

this is a compound for $380 , any thoughts?

would you rather haved a recurve or compound? keep in mind ill be using this less than the average bow hunter.
7/19/12 10:37 PM
Muppetmower88

recurve for sure. when bow fishing with my compound i loose a lot of fish trying to look through my peep and find them again in the water with a recurve you have that quick pull and release. i do recommend practicing a lot with the recurve before fishing though. get the distance down so youll be more successful.

Good luck
8/13/12 6:20 AM
gatorgar
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw this, but here is my two cents. For just starting out I would look for a 40-50 lb draw recurve (I have a Martin Rebel and an older PSE). The pros for a recurve are a quicker shot, as in the ability to snap shoot at fish that you may only get to see for a second or two, and weight. I started off bowfishing as a teenager with an old Bear compound and while it doesn't weight THAT much, it gets heavy after lugging it around for a full day of bowfishing. The main con against a recurve that I can think of right now is you do lose some punch if you are shooting at really deep fish compared to a compound.

As far as reels and setups go, go with what you can afford. I have an AMS retriever on the Martin, and a Zebco 808 on the PSE. I've also used a plain spool reel and a "shoot thru" reel in the past. I've had just as much fun with the cheaper reels as I have with the AMS or Zebco.

For arrows I've always used plain fiberglass arrows, but I will say I strongly recommend muzzy gar point tips on them. I've used some other tips and I always go back to the good old reliable muzzy's. The tips can take a beating, and if you dull one out on a rock or something, just screw on another one and you are back in business.

Last but not least, just remember, aim low.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.