UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> My Square Foot Garden

9/25/12 2:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
superiordanes
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
10/21/12 10:01 AM
forrestfan
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/21/12 10:03 AM
Are your SFGs extremely rootbound when you clear them out after the season?

Mine was way less dense than yours, but it was pretty solid with roots when I went to chop it up and turn it over.

How much of the mix do you replace each season?

Also, how long does your lumber last between rot/termites?

Unbelievable gardens by the way.
10/21/12 11:26 PM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just wanted to post and say thank you for the thread again.

despite the drought this year the garden did awesome. after applying compost tea i had noticeable blooming from plants that had not flowered or fruited. i didn't start having problems with insects until very late in the season, after vines were looking tired and half dead.

i harvested 45 pumpkins from 6 vines, 13 spaghetti squash from 3 vines, 9 hubbard squash from 2 vines (probably 10 died on the trellis-note to self, hubbards don't like trellises) green peppers set fruit multiple times (never had that happen) chard was waist high, most of my tomato cages fell over or broke from the weight. the only bust was cauliflower-never set fruit (probably from drought stress) but after compost tea, i grew the most glorious cauliflower plants you've ever seen. also canned 8 quarts of cucumber pickles, 4 quarts of hot peppers, 12 quarts of sauerkraut, 45 quarts of tomatoes, dried a huge string of cayennes. this week i'll can pumpkin, chard stalk pickles and collards. i'll also do a few quarts of giardinia with whatever is left over. i also have a ton of herbs hanging in the greenhouse drying.

IT'S BEEN A GOOD YEAR!!!!
12/24/12 6:03 PM
Badmonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice... nice carrot photo-bomber pic!

What state are you in?
1/23/13 2:10 PM
Handsomejaws
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forrestfan I'll add a five gallon of compost to each 4x4 section, mix it by hand. Then I'll add a gallon of millings (by product of gravel making) per each 4x4 section. Lot's of minerals in it. Yeah. my root systems were extremely dense, 10x more dense then my plants from last year in my traditional row garden, this mixture really allows the roots to spread.
1/23/13 2:14 PM
Handsomejaws

Badmonkey I live in Cherokee, NC. Western North Carolina.

Glad you had such amazing results Ashleigh11 and I hope you continue to use the compost and worm teas.

I ended up getting second place in the Nationwide Square Foot Gardening contest this year!Check it out. Matt Bryant

http://www.melbartholomew.com/announcing-more-2012-contest-winners/
1/23/13 3:01 PM
Handsomejaws

video of a pepper plant root structure I pulled from the garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsr_FPAf2uE&feature=youtu.be
1/24/13 5:23 PM
othree
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CAN'T WAIT FOR WINTER TO BE OVER!!!! This thread has pumped me up for my usual gardening, except this year my BFF got out of the marines and is living with me, so we're gonna go extra hard and build eight more boxes for even more amazing veggies and peppahs!

2/1/13 2:55 PM
Cookie Monster
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome!!!
4/13/13 11:47 PM
Dean Demuro
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent info. I just started some seeds yesterday.
4/16/13 12:32 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just built a 12' keyhole garden from landscaping stones. I can't wait to plant it!
4/17/13 4:54 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your garden is beautiful. Hook an OG'er up with some hot sauce :)
5/26/13 2:05 PM
ghost of KVR
819 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

still in awe of your garden
7/1/13 10:42 PM
SolomonGrundy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice Phone Post 3.0
7/17/13 12:00 AM
JkdSam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Handsomejaws - Badmonkey I live in Cherokee, NC. Western North Carolina.

Glad you had such amazing results Ashleigh11 and I hope you continue to use the compost and worm teas.

I ended up getting second place in the Nationwide Square Foot Gardening contest this year!Check it out. Matt Bryant

http://www.melbartholomew.com/announcing-more-2012-contest-winners/

I've very jealous of you living up there. I vacation up in Western North Carolina and have been to Cherokee MANY times. Most people wouldn't expect to find a river cane forest on an island in the middle of a river...I took a couple of rocks from there 2 weeks ago..little ones haha.

http://i.imgur.com/9VKybBv.jpg
2/1/14 10:20 AM
aarondramp
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bumping this thread. I just bought a house in Charlotte, NC that is on .75 acres, so I am going to have space to do a square foot garden. I didn't want this thread to die.

What are the best tips for getting started? Should I just get the square foot gardening books and read up?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.