UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Napao embarrassed about CroCop KO

6/26/12 2:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It is often called the best kick KO in UFC history, but when asked about it, Gabriel “Napao” Gonzaga is humble, even bashful, as related in an interview with Tatate during a recent visit to his former home of Barra da Tijuca, Brazil.

“This fight was very important because it was a nice kick and at the same time the KO," said Gonzaga. "It’s not about winning the fight, but it was a perfect coup. I remember the moment I imagined to finish the fight. I knew it was close and I thought: ‘I’ll kick him as hard as I can. He’s gonna block it, I’ll take two steps backwards and I’ll score some points with the judges’. He didn’t block it and you could all see what happened: the knockout."

“I’m not proud of it, I’m even embarrassed. I’m very shy when people say things like that. I’m embarrassed if you bring me up when you’re right next to me. I’m no different from anybody, I just got lucky I landed that kick. Many people say it was lucky and it really was, but I knew what I was doing. I was just lucky it happened when I was being filmed. I’ve always trained to knock someone out like that. There are only few times these things happen”.

Marcelo Barone: Last year you seemed focused on teaching. Where did this change come from?

Gabriel Gonzaga: I teach since 1999 when I became a brown belt at Jiu-Jitsu. I’ve never stopped. Winning or losing I keep teaching Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to my students and I’ve been graduating black belts ever since. And that’s exactly where my motivation came from: all my students told me I shouldn’t stop, that I should go on. I got some written letters from fans saying I’ve changed their lived with some fights I did, that I inspired them and they live now a better life because of me. It gave me objectivity to get there and show a good example for people. You can’t buy this kind of thing: being a role model to people so they can live better lives. Life’s a suffering, so it’s a reward. Some letters touched me and I said ‘it’s what I like to do and I do it well. So, let’s do it’. But I can’t control the results but what I have control of are my training.

Marcelo Barone: Did you go to America to train?

Gabriel Gonzaga: I move there with Marco Alvan and I opened a new gym: Team Link. We didn’t have the name yet. I went there to fight ADCC 2005 and I had him as my corner. From then on, we’ve started a business arrangement and he brought me to teach on the United Stated. When I first got there he came up with the idea of me coming back to MMA. I’ve fought and conquest some things when I was from Macaco Gold Team, but that was not my focus. MMA was never my focus but he told me this: “I’ll try to get you in the UFC and I’ll talk to people I know." I only became a professional after I went there because it was a hobby for me until then.

MB: What do you do when you’re not fighting?

GG: I’m kinda geek. I like doing things on the computer, watch YouTube videos, videos about solar energy and things like that. I really like being at the computer but what I love the most is training. It’s a hobby of mine. It’s not only a profession teaching and fighting. I like to train, going to the gym, putting the gi on and train with white belts, blue belts, brown belts… I don’t train to evolve. It’s like playing soccer. Sometimes you don’t fight just to smash the other team, but you go there and play for a whiles. Many times I go to the gym because I’m stressed out.

Read entire interview...

Gabriel Gonzaga currently teaches at Team Link - Worcester, call 508.926.875 or 508.494.4709

6/26/12 3:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shawarma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was there at the event and certainly a memorable end. Thousands of people were speechless for a few seconds. Back in the days where the UK had big names in the events! Phone Post
6/26/12 3:13 PM
UGCTT_RickStorm
1914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

I really wish we could forget about this moment in MMA :(

6/26/12 3:18 PM
Kirik
2055 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
 I was reffing in Jersey when Kipp came running over and told me. I wanted to tell everyone, but didn't want to ruin the replay that night.
6/26/12 3:36 PM
mata_leao
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_RickStorm -

Me too :(

Stop it guys. Phone Post
6/26/12 3:43 PM
SHOGUN250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This and Hendo/Bisping IMO are the most devastating KO's in MMA
6/26/12 3:49 PM
JosselEmin

Edited: 06/26/12 3:49 PM
You shouldn't be embarrassed at all, KOing one of the greatest of all time with his own highlight kick makes it one of the greatest KO ever ( coming from a CroCop fan )
6/26/12 4:11 PM
UGCTT_molsonmuscle360
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know what gets me more every time I see that KO.  The fact that Cro Cop is getting KO'd or the fact that his leg just curls up in the worst possible position underneath him.
6/26/12 4:16 PM
Caleb
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
UGCTT_RickStorm - 

Agreed bigtime! Sad moment in MMA for me.

6/26/12 4:27 PM
whoabro

Gonzaga seems like a really good dude, always wish him the best Phone Post
6/26/12 4:28 PM
mixedmartialfarts
793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like you guys, I wish I could forget that one... still rough to watch.  The interview is good though and not sure why, but the fact that Napao spends his free time on Youtube watching videos about solar energy cracks me up.  Just definitely not something I would have guessed that he enjoyed doing.
6/26/12 4:40 PM
Rickson's Aura

Rashad's KO of Chuck is up there.....Chuck was out cold. Hell even his head kick ko of Sean salmon was brutal.
6/26/12 4:48 PM
TLM378
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Gonzaga at a seminar. Super nice guy and talked to everyone. Really humble nice guy.
6/26/12 4:52 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonzaga doesn't seem to have all the "tools" aligned in his head. I really thought he would RULE the HW division.

He's a BJJ black belt, has very good wrestling (which is super rare for HW BJJ blackbelts), and in his Couture and Crocop fights, he certainly showed he has HEAVY striking.

What's missing? Getting his mind right IMO.
6/26/12 4:55 PM
ontilt
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very respectful and humble of him to to say it was total luck and maybe he did throw it expecting it to be blocked but I mean you can't go through a fight expecting strikes to always be a KO you just have to keep working and eventually you might catch someone. IMO it was an amazing display of skill on his part.
6/26/12 8:12 PM
Kneeblock
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  I was reffing in Jersey when Kipp came running over and told me. I wanted to tell everyone, but didn't want to ruin the replay that night.

My last post didn't show up, but Kirik, since he likes being online so much, get him on the UG!!!
6/26/12 8:45 PM
The_Spider
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought it was a misprint when I read the results hours before it aired in the US. I was like what? I think they mean Cro Cop won by head kick. Then I saw it, was happy for Gonzaga and kind of worried for Cro Cop, his leg was like fucking backwards.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.