UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Much needed help concerning Hebraic thought...

6/27/12 8:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone here know of any resources that will show me the ways Hebrews look at scripture and God. If possible, Christian Hebrew thought. I just got "matthew" a book looking at Matthews gospel from Hebrew eyes.

Podcasts and books would be very helpful. As would other sources.

There is much light shed on the scriptures when you understand it from Hebrew eyes as opposed to centuries of white people's theology looked at through European culture

Thanks much! Phone Post
6/29/12 8:52 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Annotated-New-Testament/dp/0195297709

Although major New Testament figures--Jesus and Paul, Peter and James, Jesus' mother Mary and Mary Magdalene--were Jews, living in a culture steeped in Jewish history, beliefs, and practices, there has never been an edition of the New Testament that addresses its Jewish background and the culture from which it grew--until now. In The Jewish Annotated New Testament, eminent experts under the general editorship of Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Z. Brettler put these writings back into the context of their original authors and audiences. And they explain how these writings have affected the relations of Jews and Christians over the past two thousand years.

An international team of scholars introduces and annotates the Gospels, Acts, Letters, and Revelation from Jewish perspectives, in the New Revised Standard Version translation. They show how Jewish practices and writings, particularly the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, influenced the New Testament writers. From this perspective, readers gain new insight into the New Testament's meaning and significance. In addition, thirty essays on historical and religious topics--Divine Beings, Jesus in Jewish thought, Parables and Midrash, Mysticism, Jewish Family Life, Messianic Movements, Dead Sea Scrolls, questions of the New Testament and anti-Judaism, and others--bring the Jewish context of the New Testament to the fore, enabling all readers to see these writings both in their original contexts and in the history of interpretation. For readers unfamiliar with Christian language and customs, there are explanations of such matters as the Eucharist, the significance of baptism, and "original sin."

For non-Jewish readers interested in the Jewish roots of Christianity and for Jewish readers who want a New Testament that neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism, The Jewish Annotated New Testament is an essential volume that places these writings in a context that will enlighten students, professionals, and general readers.
6/29/12 8:53 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For non-Jewish readers interested in the Jewish roots of Christianity and for Jewish readers who want a New Testament that neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism, The Jewish Annotated New Testament is an essential volume that places these writings in a context that will enlighten students, professionals, and general readers.
6/29/12 9:53 AM
RoninBT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DB
I have some suggestions but am Out of the office right now. Should have something for you by this afternoon.
Thanks
Bydge Phone Post
6/29/12 10:08 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

770mdm - For non-Jewish readers interested in the Jewish roots of Christianity and for Jewish readers who want a New Testament that neither proselytizes for Christianity nor denigrates Judaism, The Jewish Annotated New Testament is an essential volume that places these writings in a context that will enlighten students, professionals, and general readers.
Looks right up my alley! Thanks much! Was beginning to worry this thread would die without any responses.

Ever since Shane Willard opened some insight concerning the ten "commandments" and opened up the sermon on the mount and how it related to that time and culture, I have now changed my angle of reading/interpreting the bible, and am now relearning what I have been taught that is off mark...even if their intentions were pure Phone Post
6/29/12 10:09 AM
DyingBreed

RoninBT - DB
I have some suggestions but am Out of the office right now. Should have something for you by this afternoon.
Thanks
Bydge Phone Post
Thanks! Looking forward to it Phone Post
6/29/12 10:11 AM
DyingBreed

Just ordered 8 message series from Shane Willard called "the sermon on the mount"

Look him up in podcast guys if u want speaking from this angle Phone Post
6/29/12 5:37 PM
RoninBT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DB,
I am sure their intentions were pure and I would encourage you to maintain that attitude as you find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Jer 16:19 O LORD, my strength and my stronghold, And my refuge in the day of distress, To You the nations will come From the ends of the earth and say, "Our fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood, Futility and things of no profit."

For books that address the Hebraic perspective of the scriptures I would suggest:

Restoration by Todd D. Bennett: An examination of pagan influences in Christianity and the need for scriptural restoration. This is the first book of a series by this author called “Walk in the Light”. I have extra copies & would be happy to send you one. If you’re interested just send me an email (bydgew@gmail.com).

Let This Mind Be in You by Brad Scott: A historical study of the differences between the Greek and Hebrew thought.

His Name Is One by Jeff A. Benner: An ancient Hebrew perspective of the Names of God.

Hebrew Gospel of Matthew by George Howard: This is an English translation and analysis of Matthew from a Hebrew source, sometimes referred to as Shem – Tob’s Hebrew Matthew. There is some evidence to suggest the gospel of Matthew was originally written in Hebrew. If so then how close does Shem-Tob’s version stack up to the original. We will likely never know but we can compare it to the Greek translations. I did this chapter by chapter and can’t recommend it enough.

To balance out the list with authors who do not believe Yeshua is the Messiah (i.e., one orthodox rabbi and one practitioner of karaite Judaism) I suggest the following:

Jesus the Pharisee by Harvey Falk: A look at the Jewishness of Jesus. Side note to 770, I believe this book was banned in some synagogues; read at your own risk.

The Hebrew Yeshua vs. The Greek Jesus by Nehemia Gordon: New light on the seat of Moses from Shem-Tov’s Hebrew Matthew.

I enjoyed reading and learned from each of these books. Each author has a unique perspective but nobody has a corner on the truth. We are all children trying to please our father in our childlike ways. Blessings on your journey,
Bydge
6/29/12 9:12 PM
Ridgeback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed -  Does anyone here know of any resources that will show me the ways Hebrews look at scripture and God. If possible, Christian Hebrew thought. I just got "matthew" a book looking at Matthews gospel from Hebrew eyes.

There is much light shed on the scriptures when you understand it from Hebrew eyes as opposed to centuries of white people's theology looked at through European culture

Thanks much! Phone Post

The early Church fathers were not really European or even "white" in many cases.  Why not study what Christians have said about the Lord they loved and followed with their lives rather than what those who reject him have said?  I agree that a Jewish understanding of scriptures can be interesting, but one of the themes of Christianity, as demonstrated by the incident of the disciples on the road to Emmaus, was that the scriptures were closed to those who rejected Jesus.   There is no interepration of scripture that isn't informed by tradition, and you could spend a lifetime just beginning to study the writings of early Christians from St. John Chrysostom to St. Isaac of Syria (a semitic man who wrote in Syriac, a near cousin of Aramaic). 
6/29/12 11:27 PM
DyingBreed

Ridgeback -
DyingBreed -  Does anyone here know of any resources that will show me the ways Hebrews look at scripture and God. If possible, Christian Hebrew thought. I just got "matthew" a book looking at Matthews gospel from Hebrew eyes.

Thanks much! Phone Post

The early Church fathers were not really European or even "white" in many cases.  Why not study what Christians have said about the Lord they loved and followed with their lives rather than what those who reject him have said?  I agree that a Jewish understanding of scriptures can be interesting, but one of the themes of Christianity, as demonstrated by the incident of the disciples on the road to Emmaus, was that the scriptures were closed to those who rejected Jesus.   There is no interepration of scripture that isn't informed by tradition, and you could spend a lifetime just beginning to study the writings of early Christians from St. John Chrysostom to St. Isaac of Syria (a semitic man who wrote in Syriac, a near cousin of Aramaic). 
I mean Hebrew CHRISTIANS. Didn't make that clear. My goal is to learn the subtle and not so subtle details about how the people as a Jewish culture would have taken what Jesus said. Certain sayings Jesus said only make sense when taken in context when he would hint to their practices and habits.

Not trying to read Jewish books on why not to accept Jesus, although I'm positive those would also shed light on this, just trying to grasp at where a lot of that was coming from. You can't read the bible, written by Jews, and look at it through European eyes without knowing anything about that time and culture.

I understand the obvious stuff, for obvious reasons...just prying a bit deeper Phone Post
6/29/12 11:32 PM
DyingBreed

RoninBT - DB,
I am sure their intentions were pure and I would encourage you to maintain that attitude as you find out how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Jer 16:19 O LORD, my strength and my stronghold, And my refuge in the day of distress, To You the nations will come From the ends of the earth and say, "Our fathers have inherited nothing but falsehood, Futility and things of no profit."

For books that address the Hebraic perspective of the scriptures I would suggest:

Restoration by Todd D. Bennett: An examination of pagan influences in Christianity and the need for scriptural restoration. This is the first book of a series by this author called “Walk in the Light”. I have extra copies & would be happy to send you one. If you’re interested just send me an email (bydgew@gmail.com).

Let This Mind Be in You by Brad Scott: A historical study of the differences between the Greek and Hebrew thought.

His Name Is One by Jeff A. Benner: An ancient Hebrew perspective of the Names of God.

Hebrew Gospel of Matthew by George Howard: This is an English translation and analysis of Matthew from a Hebrew source, sometimes referred to as Shem – Tob’s Hebrew Matthew. There is some evidence to suggest the gospel of Matthew was originally written in Hebrew. If so then how close does Shem-Tob’s version stack up to the original. We will likely never know but we can compare it to the Greek translations. I did this chapter by chapter and can’t recommend it enough.

To balance out the list with authors who do not believe Yeshua is the Messiah (i.e., one orthodox rabbi and one practitioner of karaite Judaism) I suggest the following:

Jesus the Pharisee by Harvey Falk: A look at the Jewishness of Jesus. Side note to 770, I believe this book was banned in some synagogues; read at your own risk.

The Hebrew Yeshua vs. The Greek Jesus by Nehemia Gordon: New light on the seat of Moses from Shem-Tov’s Hebrew Matthew.

I enjoyed reading and learned from each of these books. Each author has a unique perspective but nobody has a corner on the truth. We are all children trying to please our father in our childlike ways. Blessings on your journey,
Bydge
Thank you for taking the time bro! Yes, I will gladly email you about that book. Pride at first likes to say, "oh no, I can't accept something for free" ...but that's what it is, pride. I recently gave away an 80 dollar bible to someone here just because I never read it. Not a big deal to me, and glad he accepted it. Thanks again

I'm on iPod, so I need to reread post to respond to specific sentences cuz I can't do it from this screen. brb... Phone Post
6/29/12 11:44 PM
DyingBreed

770mdm - http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Annotated-New-Testament/dp/0195297709

Although major New Testament figures--Jesus and Paul, Peter and James, Jesus' mother Mary and Mary Magdalene--were Jews, living in a culture steeped in Jewish history, beliefs, and practices, there has never been an edition of the New Testament that addresses its Jewish background and the culture from which it grew--until now. In The Jewish Annotated New Testament, eminent experts under the general editorship of Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Z. Brettler put these writings back into the context of their original authors and audiences. And they explain how these writings have affected the relations of Jews and Christians over the past two thousand years.

An international team of scholars introduces and annotates the Gospels, Acts, Letters, and Revelation from Jewish perspectives, in the New Revised Standard Version translation. They show how Jewish practices and writings, particularly the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, influenced the New Testament writers. From this perspective, readers gain new insight into the New Testament's meaning and significance. In addition, thirty essays on historical and religious topics--Divine Beings, Jesus in Jewish thought, Parables and Midrash, Mysticism, Jewish Family Life, Messianic Movements, Dead Sea Scrolls, questions of the New Testament and anti-Judaism, and others--bring the Jewish context of the New Testament to the fore, enabling all readers to see these writings both in their original contexts and in the history of interpretation. For readers unfamiliar with Christian language and customs, there are explanations of such matters as the Eucharist, the significance of baptism, and "original sin."

YUP

That will be mine

Thank you! Phone Post
6/30/12 12:05 AM
DyingBreed

Ronin,

Just wrote a response to your post, but took too long, so it didn't post, emailing now rewritten response cuz I don't want it happening again, lol Phone Post
8/23/12 1:22 PM
DyingBreed

Cool posts Dustin, thanks for adding!

Yeah, I've noticed many translation now saying false/pretend christs rather than "anti" Phone Post
10/19/12 9:38 AM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed - Just ordered 8 message series from Shane Willard called "the sermon on the mount"

I've got that series. Very good resource. I'd like to get his series on The Lords Prayer. Phone Post
10/19/12 12:19 PM
DyingBreed

mmanthebay -
DyingBreed - Just ordered 8 message series from Shane Willard called "the sermon on the mount"

I've got that series. Very good resource. I'd like to get his series on The Lords Prayer. Phone Post
Me too. I have hours and hours of podcast that I wish were cd and DVD format to share with our church. A bud of mine is borrowing SOTM and I'm missing it, lol Phone Post
10/22/12 4:52 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In regards to Ridgebacks post, I understand what you are saying. If you are doing it for spritiual purposes only, you wont get much from a non christian viewpoint. 

However, depending on the motivation, studying purely the non christian viewpoint is very rewarding if you can tolerate it. As an example, I read several books about Jews in the Roman world. It was very eye opening to see how the Romans viewed Palestine and jews in general. It brought a new understanding to how the Romans then viewed christianity. I feel we should not shield ourselves from anything unless you are restricted in time and scope to simply edification.

10/23/12 6:28 PM
DyingBreed

I read several books about Jews in the Roman world. It was very eye opening to see how the Romans viewed Palestine and jews in general. It brought a new understanding to how the Romans then viewed christianity....

Care to give a quick review? (or long if you want, I was just trying to make it as painless as possible) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.