UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> Self Taught Wrestling

4/14/03 7:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StuMc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Apr-03

Dear Coach Sonnon, I was reading in one of your interviews that you believe that wrestling is the most underrated and underused form of conditioning. I wholeheartedly agree. My wrestling training is creating functional strength gains that weights and even bodyweight exercises just don't. It's hard to explain but my body just seems more....."connected" since I have been doing this training. Even better, I feel more "connected" in unrelated disciplines like 1600s short sword for example. I also read that you feel that wrestling is something you can teach yourself to a degree. My partners and I have been doing just that with pretty good results. I was wondering though about the material of yours that I should look at getting in order to become a better self-taught wrestler? Cheers, Stu.
4/15/03 9:47 AM
Ausgepicht

Edited: 15-Apr-03 01:04 PM
I know Scott is a busy man, and you MAY have slipped by him unintentionally. So I will offer a few tidbits to serve as a "TTT". Whew! Where do you start with his material? Do you have I.O.U.F.? Tape 3 in particular has some real good Wrestling stuff, if you are being very specific when you mention Wrestling and not in a general sense, in which case the whole series is fantastic. The Grappler's toolbox is LOADED with Wrestling. Granby rolls, Sit outs, Sitbacks and aways, Sprawls, bridging, crawls, chases, penetration steps, back arches, stand-ups, backsteps, gripping, pinning, etc. and ALL done solo. However, presented in an unconventional manner. If you are into BJJ, there are plenty of escapes, armbars from the guard, armbars from the mount, guard sweeps, etc. These are the things I have discovered, but you may discover/uncover more than I. For Scott presents these as movements and does not handfeed you WHEN to use them. That work you have to do yourself. Arthrokinetics has a TON...a TON....of material for anything you want to do on the ground. Fisticuffs has some GREAT clinch work as does Leg Fencing. There's a ton of stuff!!! I recommend (at a minumum) the GTB since you are leaning towards 'solo' work. Joe
4/15/03 11:10 AM
Sonnon

Edited: 15-Apr-03
Joe is correct.
4/15/03 7:10 PM
StuMc

Cheers Aus, Scott, I have been very much enjoying reading your articles on the web. I shall start by looking into GTB as was suggested, Thanks, Stu.
4/15/03 9:12 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't go wrong with the GTB for building, enhancing, maintaining, and / or rehabilitating both you and your grappling game! Its a great source to look delve into, learn with and innovate from. -Luis www.onedragon.com
4/15/03 11:03 PM
tysaw
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep to Aus and to Luis above. I KEEP discovering new uses and applications for the GTB drills. It is PACKED with mat navigation skills that will enhance your game. As I work the skills, my bjj gets better and better in an improvisational way. I just feel positions, and have the ingrained coordination to get to them. Some are off the wall entries to say armbars, sweeps, leg locks, etc. but they just flow and are not awkward at all. I don't know about the new maximology series but I have read they have an updated version of Scott's material. Hopefully I will cease being poor sometime in the future :( and I will post a review of them. Until then, Aus is correct...get the GTB! Bruce
4/21/03 11:53 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-03
TTT for GTB!
4/24/03 6:45 PM
Todd Milhoan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Apr-03
Err no.. It's impossible to teach oneself how to wrestle *cough*

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.