UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jackson: Guida lost a lot of those exciting fights

6/28/12 11:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When the usually marauding Clay Guida brought out a new and ultimately unsuccesful Hit n Run strategy vs. Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4, many fans blamed coach Greg Jackson.

Jackson appeared recently on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show” and discussed the strategy.

“I wanted Clay to, after he drew Gray out, to engage a little bit more, but I think Clay was waiting for him to open up a little bit and he was able to land some combinations when he did that. But one of the things that I think both Clay and I learned is that … we need to do a little more right after the misses, kind of jumping on him a little bit more. I chalk it up to experience and a learning process, and hopefully we won’t be in that situation again where we have such a close decision. Hopefully we’ll be able to dominate the next time.”

“In a lot of those fun, exciting fights, he ended up on the wrong side of those. He would get dropped or he’d get choked out a lot of times. You have to be able to fight the guy that’s in front of you, and Gray is an incredible fighter. … To just run at that guy and throw caution to the wind and hope you don’t get caught with a big punch and choked out again, it is a little silly. You do want to be able to try to do something that maybe favors you a little bit.

“Now again, we should have engaged a little bit more, and that’s just the way the fight went down, but I’m never going to tell my guy, ‘Listen, this guy does everything better than you. I just want you to take all the damage you can until he gets tired of punching you in the face so that everybody’s jumping up and down and then maybe you’ll win, but maybe you’ll just get choked out.’ That doesn’t seem very smart to me at all. … I’m always going to be trying to do it smartly. It’s got to be an entertaining fight obviously, but at the same time you can’t just jump on somebody that’s stronger than you, that hits harder than you and has better wrestling than you do.”

"Two fights earlier Cub Swanson did beautifully and got Fight of the Night. When you have a situation like that, when you have a spectacular performance and then you have Clay, who stuck and moved, but he should have stuck a little more than he moved -- that happens. He still got a split decision. He was a 4-1 underdog. Had we done just a little more, I think it would have gone our way. But [some criticism] is obviously just biased because no one’s saying, ‘Hey Greg, that was a great game plan with Cub. Way to get the second knockout of his career and Knockout of the Night and look so good.’ It’s all about the negative stuff. At that point, it doesn’t hold any water for me, so I’m all right.”

“He’s a tough guy, and we just try to stay positive and take it as a learning experience and try to focus on the things that we want to improve on and do better. He was of course very disappointed, but sometimes it’s a process. Sometimes it’s not as easy as just going from A to Z. I’m really proud of him. I’m always really proud of him. He got in there, and that’s hard to do. We should have done a few things differently, but we’ll get them next time. Other than being disappointed, it was pretty par for the course. He wasn’t like emotionally devastated for the rest of his life or anything. He was just kind of upset.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (16:33 mark)

6/28/12 11:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
 Jackson is right. Split Dec vs a guy favored over him 4-1 is pretty impressive. And that he gets no love to Cub Swanson's KO OTN.

Greg Jackson is the best trainer in MMA.

Not every fight is going to be exciting, and that is the nature of the rules.
6/28/12 11:37 PM
slaughteringyou
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, greg is the worst product of modern MMA.

I guarantee they will change the rules because of people like him. He will always find a way to game the system, so Dana and co will have to tweak the system to produce more exciting fights.

6/28/12 11:37 PM
Stu Cazzo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm here to be entertained....not to see whatever that nonsense was.

6/28/12 11:41 PM
Ansari
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Queue 10 pages of momos talking out of their asses after not reading the interview...
6/28/12 11:44 PM
Stu Cazzo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ansari - Queue 10 pages of momos talking out of their asses after not reading the interview...

You didn't read this?

“In a lot of those fun, exciting fights, he ended up on the wrong side of those.

6/28/12 11:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He lost the last fight. Clay's advantage was cardio, and they did nothing to use it.

I disagree having one judge score the fight incorrectly for him is impressive. That fight was embarrassing, not impressive. Phone Post
6/28/12 11:49 PM
Stu Cazzo

"Clay....I'll make you a boring staller but you might win a decision"

Ok boss...

WTF!

He should've been deducted a point when Maynard gave him free shots that did nothing.
6/28/12 11:50 PM
Brigham
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Jackson is right. Split Dec vs a guy favored over him 4-1 is pretty impressive. And that he gets no love to Cub Swanson's KO OTN.

The other thing people fail to realize is the amount of fighters he has on the elite level in the UFC. He has do many guys at that level for a reason. Phone Post
6/28/12 11:51 PM
Ansari
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stu Cazzo - 
Ansari - Queue 10 pages of momos talking out of their asses after not reading the interview...
 You didn't read this?
“In a lot of those fun, exciting fights, he ended up on the wrong side of those.
I did.

Guida has six fight-of-the-night awards (two of which also won fight-of-the-year).
His record in those six fights; 1-5.

So which part of that statement by Greg Jackson did you disagree with and why?
6/28/12 11:54 PM
A bag of rice
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stu Cazzo -  "Clay....I'll make you a boring staller but you might win a decision"

Ok boss...

WTF!

He should've been deducted a point when Maynard gave him free shots that did nothing.
Yeah when your opponent has absolutely no respect for your striking you are doing something wrong Phone Post
6/28/12 11:56 PM
Rtchamp15
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ansari -
Stu Cazzo - 
 You didn't read this?
I did.

Guida has six fight-of-the-night awards (two of which also won fight-of-the-year).

Clay ended up on the wrong side of this boring and awful fight too, so lose in exciting fashion and get fotn bonuses or lose in boring fashion and get boo'd and look like a pussy on national television? Phone Post
6/28/12 11:57 PM
brianlg

Jackson is always behind the worst fights in recent history. You know, the ones with no action that are hard to watch. The ones where you just want to fast forward through and see who ends up getting the decision. Those ones. Phone Post
6/29/12 12:01 AM
Ansari

Rtchamp15 - 
Ansari -
Stu Cazzo - 
 You didn't read this?
I did.

Clay ended up on the wrong side of this boring and awful fight too, so lose in exciting fashion and get fotn bonuses or lose in boring fashion and get boo'd and look like a pussy on national television? Phone Post
I could be wrong, and I don't think I am, but I don't think that those were the only two options he had to choose from.
6/29/12 12:05 AM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greg makes some good points, and he is a great guy.

I agree he has to do what he has to do to get the W's,
but you can't complain if fans don't like it.

6/29/12 12:05 AM
BrianStannFan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Jackson is right. Split Dec vs a guy favored over him 4-1 is pretty impressive. And that he gets no love to Cub Swanson's KO OTN.

+9000
6/29/12 12:07 AM
screen name 2

Congrats Jackson, your gameplan lost clay alot of fans, pissed off alot of people including the ufc president, and STILL lost him the fight! If what Greg was saying was right, that maynard was all around better fighter then DONT TAKE THE FIGHT!!! Clay is outclassed, he doesnt belong in the same cage with Maynard.
Also if clay gets matched up against another guy with better wrestling then his own, jackson is basically telling all of us that we can expect this same bullshit
6/29/12 12:08 AM
Ansari

Octagon Mom - how many people are starting to Turn of GSP.
His last three PPVs did ~800,000 buys.
6/29/12 12:14 AM
JPet

refs need to enforce the "timidity" rule .... warning, warning, point deduction, point deduction, disqualification.

Do that once and it will never happen again.
6/29/12 12:16 AM
McLeod
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to disagree with ya here Kirik.

That was, in no way, split decision or not, impressive.
Destroying a guy who is a 4-1 favorite over you is impressive. THAT was just pathetic.
I appreciate what Fitch does. I hate to watch him fight and cheer whenever he loses for certain, but I appreciate that he at leasts dominates the positional aspect of a fight. Boring or not.
What Guida did was try to figure out a way to get judges to give him a "victory" without really fighting ina combat sport without dominating anything.

There is a point where I remember what drew me to BJJ and MMA way back in the eary UFC's 1-20. And I remember seeing aspects change... and feeling a sense of "uh-oh..." as I watched them.
Shamrock laying on Royce in UFC 5. Militech holding Barnett against the cage, etc... and I have the same sense with Greg Jackson's style of "coaching"

There was a reason Guida was cheered heavily before this fight, regardless of his losing some of those exciting fights. He will NOT be cheered after fighting like he did.
6/29/12 12:18 AM
McLeod
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would be militech holding Mikey Burnett...not barnett. lol
6/29/12 12:34 AM
ChaosOverkill
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/29/12 12:38 AM
epic hero

There was nothing impressive about his performance, it was embarrassing and hard to watch. "ya we took gray to a split decision". That was not a close fight, Gray clearly won.

What Guida did is against the rules, he should have lost a point, maybe even dq'd. MMA is about testing your skills against your opponent, if you're going to run away and try to avoid a fight, you don't deserve to step foot in the octagon IMO.

How is what he did acceptable? How can you be allowed to show up and spend the entire time running away? You need to be docked points or be dq'd for that shit, that kind of garbage has no place in the UFC.

So Guida made a fool out of himself, lost most of his fan base, and didn't win. Great job Greg Jackson.
6/29/12 12:45 AM
lgi

There are times where I thought Jon Jones could've finished fights earlier, but he was waiting for the ok from his corner. I think he could've finished the Rampage and Shogun fights earlier. I understand why he would be more cautious in the Shogun fight though, being that it was for the title.
6/29/12 12:49 AM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so let me get this strait.
Perfect game plan for Guida in that fight according to Jackson: Back up until Gray throws a punch or a strike which he will miss because guida is backing up then counter with multiple strikes/ takedown attempts.
Actual Game plan: land 1 punch run the entire round and win the round 1-0 in strikes.
BTW Greg if Guida never got into any of those wars he WOULD NOT be sponsored by safe auto (ironic because his strategy was hit and run) he would never always be 1 or 2 wins away from a title shot. Guida as a fighter has made money and fame off of his fighting style and guess what it couldve been effective against gray maynard who has a suspect gas tank. Gray can jog for 25 minutes im not sure he can fight 100% like guida can for 25 minutes but between the two of you you guys decided to take the fight out of the fight because if guida "won" the decision you think hes gonna go home and feel good about his victory with everyone telling him he should of lost the fight, didnt fight etc.... Greg Jackson will prolly not read this but if youre gonna take Guidas patented style from the fans you sir are a disgrace to the sport. because youre not teaching your students to be better than your opponent on one night youre teaching them how to win an MMA match with 0 aspects of any martial arts discipline.( btw i thought condit won the fight with diaz and am OK with LNPers just as long as they are engaging)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.