UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Serious question about hunting

6/29/12 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someday I'll be living back in upstate NY. I have never been hunting. I think it's because I never really understood guns and didn't wanna hurt an animal etc. I'm older now and I've learned a little bit about guns. I've also come to the realization that knocking off a deer could potentially feed my family. I like that sense of 'providing.'

Aside from hooking up with friends that are already hunters how would you suggest breaking into the hunting world? I understand this is a very general question but feel free to add anything you think may be helpful.

6/30/12 12:37 AM
cycklops
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinkin deer
6/30/12 9:45 AM
cycklops

I was just kinda going off the premise that I would have no one that could help me. I wanted to see what kind of advice I would get. Truth is, I would have someone that could help me, it's not an issue. That's just how little I know about it.
6/30/12 3:45 PM
cycklops

how often do you hunt deer?
7/7/12 1:09 AM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cycklops. its not tough. They are easy to gut and you can take them to a processor. Your not going to become a butcher with the first deer you shoot. that comes with time. But Here in PA everyone is required to take a hunter safety course which will go over everything that you will need to know along with some helpful tips. As far as shotgun-rifle find out what is legal to use in the area you will be hunting. i would suggest a center fire rifle such as .308 or 30-06. shotguns are cool but are more expensive to shoot and just a pain to shoot in with slugs. you can get a nice budget rifle such as savage axis for $350 new w/scope so thats awesome for a budget rifle.

9/11/12 3:08 PM
Ron Popeil
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had great luck with online forums. Met a bunch of great people, made some close friends. And found tons of new spots.

I mostly hunt duck/geese. You dont have to be quit and sit in a tree all day, and you get to shoot most of the day. Sit around BS with friends shoot when somtehing decoys in and be outdoors.

In the long run I think it will pay off more as far as meet goes. This week season picked up again and we (2 people) have killed 18duck and 20 geese. With geese weighing around 12 to 15lbs (sometimes 20lbs late season) you could rack up for the zombie invasion pretty quick.

Have a good time sir, and good luck!!
9/20/12 2:24 PM
MichaelVronsky
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hunt upstate but haven't shot shit yet. little north of oneonta. give a holler when you're back here.
11/23/13 6:47 PM
Voiceinthedesert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cycklops -  I'm thinkin deer

Deer hunting is fantastic. I grew up in northern Alberta. I wish for you to experience hunting Alberta or Saskatchewan at least once in your life.

Imagine coming up over a hill and spot 5 Boone & Crockett bucks a yards away...

My last buck measured 68 5/8. 10 years ago, I missed a whitetail buck that I rough-scored at well over 300 non-typical; due to a faulty scope. Of course, you can add a serious case of buck fever....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.