UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Nicolino Locche - Best defensive artist of all?

6/29/12 8:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can see some of his defensive highlights here (starts about the 3:20 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ct2jCu7y9Y&feature=related

Very impressive. Looking on his fight record and some of his other fights on film he looks like he had a very similar styled to Mayweather, with the head movement and tricky left shoulder. He just lacked Mayweather's offensive hand speed and power.
6/29/12 8:49 PM
OKMike
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

see Pep,Willie
6/29/12 9:31 PM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you watch the video?
6/29/12 10:11 PM
martinburke
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Arcel is one of the few boxing men whose opinion I always respect and defer to. He believed that Locche was the greatest defensive fighter of all time.
6/29/12 10:21 PM
luchador1

I heard about Locche from my dad but never got to see him until youtube. If not the best, in the top 3 definately!
6/30/12 4:04 PM
pharochuck
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator

6/30/12 4:23 PM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martinburke - Ray Arcel is one of the few boxing men whose opinion I always respect and defer to. He believed that Locche was the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

Arcel is undeniably one of the greatest trainers of all-time, but I am shocked that he considered Locche to be a better defensive fighter than Pep. Also, HULC, thanks for posting that video linked above, some of those clips are pretty amazing.
6/30/12 6:39 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd never heard about Locche until a few years ago. Didn't know what I'd been missing.

7/1/12 8:23 AM
HULC

Chappie - 
martinburke - Ray Arcel is one of the few boxing men whose opinion I always respect and defer to. He believed that Locche was the greatest defensive fighter of all time.

Arcel is undeniably one of the greatest trainers of all-time, but I am shocked that he considered Locche to be a better defensive fighter than Pep. Also, HULC, thanks for posting that video linked above, some of those clips are pretty amazing.

My pleasure.

In 137 fights he was only stopped once, and that was due to cuts, so his defence had to be pretty good. Pep was floored and stopped multiple times during his career in comparison. On the other hand Pep's level of competition was much higher.
7/2/12 5:00 AM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pep fought far and away the better competition of the two. Pep fought guys like Sammy Angott, Paddy Demarco, Sandy Saddler, Joey Archibald, Chalky Wright, Hogan "Kid" Bassey, etc. Locche by comparison, fought Ismeal Laguna and Carlos Ortiz. Also, although Pep was stopped 6 times, three of those stoppages came at the hands of Sandly Saddler and Pep was not stopped by anyone not named Saddler prior to 1952 by which point Pep had allready fought in close 200 matches.

In addition, at the time of the first Pep/Saddler fight in 1948, Pep possessed a ring record of 132-1-1, but was still dealing with serious injuries sustained from an airplane crash the previous year which had forced Pep to spend five months in a full body cast.
7/6/12 2:24 AM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Charley Burley was pretty damn defensively sound as well. Phone Post
7/6/12 7:20 AM
jw234
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That vid is awesome. Phone Post
7/9/12 11:31 PM
ultimatestreetfighter

sweet pea FTW
7/10/12 9:20 AM
Spartan79

Jack Johnson Phone Post
9/13/12 11:57 AM
The Ghost Of Swayze
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I had never heard of him. Thank you so much for enlightening me on this guy. Been enjoying his fights on youtube. I love his stance, it's perfect. That back heel never touches the floor.
9/27/12 11:54 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ant stole the words out of my mouth, Burley was,never stopped even while losing to the larger Ezzard Charles and Holman Williams Phone Post
9/28/12 10:19 AM
martinburke
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burley was never stopped, but you can also see lots of next-day newspaper reports along the lines of "Burley fought yet another stinker of a fight".

He was just too defensive-minded.

When Burley fought Charles, Charles had less than 25 fights under his belt, and was only a few pounds heavier at the time.

in the first fight, Charles was a late substitute for Ken Overlin, and he almost put Burley away in the 3rd or 4th round.

BTW, Charles had been lucky to escape with a draw two months earlier against Overlin, and he'd been dropped and beaten handily by Overlin the previous summer.

Burley was a great fighter, but he fought in an era full of great fighters, fighters who could lead and pressure the other guy. He's become way overrated in the last few years.
9/29/12 5:22 AM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Burley is overrated , it goes back to when Eddie Futch called Burley the best all around fighter he had ever seen. I am one who drinks both Eddie Futch and Charley Burley kool aid, not to mention listening to my best friend in high schools 70 year old hispanic trainer talk about Burley , from Burleys stint in LA Phone Post
9/29/12 9:05 AM
martinburke

Personally, I like watching Burley, and I think he's a great template for young fighters to study. Most kids aren't going to be professional fighters, and copying Burley will keep these kids from getting hurt very much until they realize boxing isn't going to be their thing.

I just find it amusing that Eddie Futch said that about Burley and no one questions it, yet other trainers from the Golden Age of boxing get their picks for all-time greats shit on and dismissed.

Even after seeing every heavyweight champ up to and including Mike Tyson, Ray Arcel still thought Dempsey would beat all of them, and yet Dempsey seems to be the favorite whipping boy of internet revisionists. There's even a "boxing" forum(and I use that term loosely) called East Side with the primary purpose of slandering Dempsey's legacy. That place rivals the UG in its huge collection of lying, delusional, low-testosterone losers.

Arcel is dismissed as just another racist old white man, even though he went out of his way to help black fighters back when it wasn't fashionable. Arcel went on the road with Ezzard Charles, finding hotel rooms and restaurants that would accept Charles and his sparring partners when that was FAR more difficult than today.

But Arcel is just some pasty old cracka, so anything he has to say is just a lie.

Whitey Bimstein thought Gene Tunney was the finest fighter he'd ever seen. And now Tunney is accused of ducking black fighters, even though Harry Wills ran like a thief from him.

9/29/12 12:31 PM
AristidesBrito

Martin, are you any relation to the great promoter out of New Orleans with the same name ? Or did you just choose the screen name wondering if anyone would get it Phone Post
9/29/12 12:33 PM
AristidesBrito

The thing is Burley had legitimate power, from what I gather I think he was a gentleman, who lacked the ferocity necessary for the fight game. Phone Post
9/29/12 1:54 PM
martinburke

AristidesBrito -  Martin, are you any relation to the great promoter out of New Orleans with the same name ? Or did you just choose the screen name wondering if anyone would get it Phone Post

He was my mom's uncle and my first real trainer.

Very blunt, pragmatic man who didn't look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/burke-m.htm

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Martin_Burke

^^^^That death date is wrong, and I've tried to contact them several times about it.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/Murray_Dempsey_0808.html

Uncle Martin dealt in fight films back when it was still illegal to transport them across state lines. He would spool them up and show me specific moves that he wanted me to work on.
9/30/12 9:11 PM
martinburke

Josh, can't get through on pm. Not sure if we've met. I don't think I've ever been to Ancona's.

I met Joe Brown at a card at the Municipal Auditorium(1978 or '79, maybe?). He was way more interested in talking to the brunette I was with than with me.:)

Percy is still alive, as far as I know.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.