UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Brock Lesnar a hall of famer?

7/1/12 11:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The names of UFC Hall of Famers are ones that historians of the sport would all notice; they all have similarities in terms of their career path.

The great eight -and soon to be exceptional nine once Tito Ortiz is added to that list pretty soon- all had exceptional careers. They exhibited a longevity in their career that not many can match.

Current stars, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre; and on their current trajectory, Jon Jones and Jose Aldo fit the Hall Of Fame description.

I will throw another hat in the ring.

I think Brock Lesnar is a Hall of Famer. His record doesn’t suggest Hall of Fame consideration as Lesnar finished with a meager 5-3 mma record.

Entertaining. That was Lesnar’s endearing quality.

He put faces in Pay Per Views. He drew interest in the US to a level that MMA had never seen before his arrival. Lesnar was the first fighter to push a million Pay Per View sales.

He brought so many new fans into the sport, myself included, who stayed with the sport and are avid supporters now. That can’t be replaced or duplicated.

Though he only defended his heavyweight belt twice, his impact is immeasurable. The UFC is on an entirely different plane.

ESPN now covers MMA. There is a weekly 30 minute show devoted to it. SportsCenter reports the victors of the main event. The UFC is now growing exponentially.

It all can’t be attributed to Lesnar but he was certainly the driving force.

He is the biggest stateside star who ever graced the UFC with his presence.

That’s enough to be enshrined in my opinion.

read entire article...

7/1/12 11:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ClinchedUp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theres no question or debate hes a HOF Dana already said he would be in it. Phone Post
7/1/12 11:43 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Lesnar was the first fighter to push a million Pay Per View sales."

No, he wasn't. Chuck and Tito did 1,000,000 for their rematch.
7/1/12 11:48 PM
rockwell
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground Blog - 

Is Brock Lesnar a hall of famer?

[rantsports.com]

The names of UFC Hall of Famers are ones that historians of the sport would all notice; they all have similarities in terms of their career path.

The great eight -and soon to be exceptional nine once Tito Ortiz is added to that list pretty soon- all had exceptional careers. They exhibited a longevity in their career that not many can match.

Current stars, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre; and on their current trajectory, Jon Jones and Jose Aldo fit the Hall Of Fame description.

I will throw another hat in the ring.

I think Brock Lesnar is a Hall of Famer. His record doesn’t suggest Hall of Fame consideration as Lesnar finished with a meager 5-3 mma record.

Entertaining. That was Lesnar’s endearing quality.

He put faces in Pay Per Views. He drew interest in the US to a level that MMA had never seen before his arrival. Lesnar was the first fighter to push a million Pay Per View sales.

He brought so many new fans into the sport, myself included, who stayed with the sport and are avid supporters now. That can’t be replaced or duplicated.

Though he only defended his heavyweight belt twice, his impact is immeasurable. The UFC is on an entirely different plane.

ESPN now covers MMA. There is a weekly 30 minute show devoted to it. SportsCenter reports the victors of the main event. The UFC is now growing exponentially.

It all can’t be attributed to Lesnar but he was certainly the driving force.

He is the biggest stateside star who ever graced the UFC with his presence.

That’s enough to be enshrined in my opinion.

read entire article...

No.

7/1/12 11:56 PM
angryguy
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No! And surely its not " just Dana alone" that determines a hall of famer Phone Post
7/1/12 11:59 PM
GNPfan
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way!
7/2/12 12:02 AM
Masakyst
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

negative
7/2/12 12:02 AM
MMAOutsider
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The MMA Outsider Podcast, Host
Nope. Bo Jackson isn't in the NFL hall of fame, Lesnar shouldn't get in the UFC hall. Phone Post
7/2/12 12:07 AM
SinCityHustler

Absolutely, not only on professional accomplishment but also for the huge shot in the arm he gave the UFC with gigantic pay per view sales.  

Just absolutely set the MMA world on its ear and he did it all as a rookie.  

A heavyweight chapion by professional fight #4, including dethroning a legend and multi time UFC Champ, defending against a multi time champ, defending against an undefeated UFC champ, and rising to the world #1 ranking.  There is ZERO doubt that Lesnar deserves to be in ASAP.  

Brock deserves to be in over legendary guys like Dan Severn, Royce Gracie and Mark coleman for example.  
7/2/12 12:07 AM
JerodR
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who knows...seems with Dana the criteria for being in the UFC Hall of Fame change about as much as most people change their socks. Today he could be in it because of the impact he brought in terms of exposure, tomorrow he could be a what have you done for me lately guy. UFC Hall of Fame is kind of a joke with the way it is handled now anyway so it really doesn't matter either way.
7/2/12 12:08 AM
SinCityHustler

MMAOutsider -  Nope. Bo Jackson isn't in the NFL hall of fame, Lesnar shouldn't get in the UFC hall. Phone Post

I'm not a big football guy so I'll defer to your expertise.   How many championships did Bo Jackson win?  Surely as many or more than Brock, right?
7/2/12 12:11 AM
DeusEx

Running away into a fetal position gets you tot he HOF?
7/2/12 12:15 AM
UK Wrestler

No way
7/2/12 12:16 AM
epwar
533 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Based on skill and actual fights?  No.

Based on Dana's estimation of what it takes to get in the HOF ($$$)?  Yes.
7/2/12 12:16 AM
SinCityHustler

DeusEx - Running away into a fetal position gets you tot he HOF?

Well Tito ran from Wanderlei and he went fetal against Frank and Chuck yet he's being inducted and I don't see you complaining.  But with that said, somehow I doubt that's the criteria being used in order to induct guys.  Ask an adult, I'm sure they will be happy to explain it to you.  
7/2/12 12:17 AM
SinCityHustler

epwar - Based on skill and actual fights?  No.

Based on Dana's estimation of what it takes to get in the HOF ($$$)?  Yes.

Well how much more "actual fights" do you need than his results in world championship fights?  Please be specific, lets get this figured out.
7/2/12 12:19 AM
MarlyPersianNoob
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Lesnar wasn’t himself after a bout with mononucleosis that sidelined him for more than a year. Lesnar almost died."

U Wot M8?
7/2/12 12:20 AM
mje364
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being 4-3 in the ufc isn't hall of fame. You shouldn't base ppv sales on being a hall of famer, it should be your skills and accomplishments. Lesnar was a athlete and did great things for the sport, but he isn't a HOFer. Phone Post
7/2/12 12:22 AM
MarlyPersianNoob
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Millzy - 
duckhuntgangsta - Brock is a two time defending HW champ (company record be) who has singularly (highest single event) and collectively sold more PPVs than any other UFC fighter in company history. He is the MOST famous UFC fighter in its history and last I check it's the ball of FAME :-)

lmao @ comparing Tito to Brock.. *shakes head*
how the hell are you an 01er?

01ers are backwards 10ers
7/2/12 12:22 AM
Rtchamp15
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way. Phone Post
7/2/12 12:24 AM
SinCityHustler

mje364 -  Being 4-3 in the ufc isn't hall of fame. You shouldn't base ppv sales on being a hall of famer, it should be your skills and accomplishments. Lesnar was a athlete and did great things for the sport, but he isn't a HOFer. Phone Post

But that's what the UFC Hall of Fame is based on.  Your argument is for a different Hall of Fame.  Baseball has Abbot and Costello so can't be that one.  What Hall of Fame are you basing your argument on?  For this discussion it's important that you base your argument on the UFC hall of Fame and their standard.  Weird concept, huh Francis?
7/2/12 12:28 AM
groundfighter2000
467 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No disrespect to Brock but this shouldn't even be up for debate. He's not a hall of famer. Sorry.
7/2/12 12:29 AM
Mahakala
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NO WAY.

Furthermore, it is absolutely insane that this person would "throw Lesnar's hat in the ring" before he would Dan Henderson or Wanderlei Silva.
7/2/12 12:29 AM
groundfighter2000
467 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SinCityHustler -  Brock deserves to be in over legendary guys like Royce Gracie

Oh OK, I get it now. You don't want to be taken seriously.
7/2/12 12:31 AM
SinCityHustler

groundfighter2000 - 
SinCityHustler -  Brock deserves to be in over legendary guys like Royce Gracie

Oh OK, I get it now. You don't want to be taken seriously.

Well Royce has had a total of 1 fight in the Zuffa era.  How does that even compare to what Brock accomplished?  And by the way, Royce was dismantled by a smaller guy in that fight.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.