UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> *VIDEO* Smuggled Cuban boxing secrets!

7/2/12 12:13 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This UGGB (UnderGround Guest Blog) is by Marcos Avellan. Along with his brother David, Marcos founded South Florida's Freestyle Fighting Academy (FFA) in 2001, and has trained fighters for the UFC, WEC, Bodogfight, EliteXC, Strikeforce, and dozens of other promotions.

Last year I had traveled to Cuba to train boxing (I did so legally from Miami to Havana).  Since 1972, Cuba has earned more Olympic medals in boxing than any other country in the world. The United States is a boxing powerhouse - but due to the embargo, Cuba's boxing techniques and training concepts are a secret to most American fighters.

Some Americans that manage to visit Cuba try to smuggle out cigars or rum... I smuggled out boxing secrets!  I got to train with legendary boxing coach Carlos Miranda.  Coach Miranda was very different than most boxing coaches I had worked with prior.  He has a serious wisdom… he is a guru… he is the Cuban Mr. Miyagi of boxing!  I compare him to Mr. Miyagi because every sentence that came out of his mouth was enlightening.  I would hang out after the training sessions and sit back with him in the shade and talk for hours about boxing, combat, coaching, and even philosophy… and I learned more about boxing in those few hours talking than I had learned in years of training!

Amongst many principles and concepts he shared with me in those conversations, he introduced to me a very simple system for shadow boxing and practicing technique that revolutionized the way my team now practices striking – and even grappling.  The system is so darn simple and when you hear it, it makes perfect sense… but I have never been to a gym that practices shadow boxing in this exact manner.  Don’t get me wrong… there are definitely champions that utilize these principles – but I haven’t seen it taught systematically the way it was explained to me.

Ok Avellan, so what's the secret?  I could type it out but I think video would help get the message across best!  I have been using this system for over a year now and have not shared it publicly.  I showed this system to a few colleagues at a seminar, which included world champion trainers Greg Nelson, Adam and Rory Singer, Lloyd Irvin, and UFC veterans and BJJ Black Belts Marcus Aurelio, Tim Credeur, Alberto Crane, Shawn Williams, and a dozen or so others that were in attendance.  However, this is the first time I put this information out to the public… the secret is out!

In a few days I’ll post part II – stay tuned!

P.S.  Please leave feedback!

7/2/12 12:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alumynabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No desire to learn how to point box yet you may want to forward this one to Greg Jackson.
7/2/12 12:37 PM
Bench
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later. Phone Post
7/2/12 1:08 PM
lildragonof
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

L8r Phone Post
7/2/12 1:08 PM
buddie
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That video was awesome. Thank you very much.
7/2/12 1:09 PM
TheHouse
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
7/2/12 1:18 PM
Kirik
2061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
Alumynabjj -  No desire to learn how to point box yet you may want to forward this one to Greg Jackson.

I don't follow? Training the five aspects of a jab or 1-2 is point fighting?
7/2/12 1:21 PM
buddie
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't watch the video and has no desire to learn, so he's mocking Cuban style amateur boxing (and Greg Jackson) to try and be cute.
7/2/12 1:49 PM
MR Combatively

Good video!

MR. Combatively
7/2/12 1:52 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for keistering this across the border.

We're in your debt.
7/2/12 2:20 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Avellan brothers are great guys.

Awesome stuff here.
7/2/12 2:25 PM
Alumynabjj

Kirik - 
Alumynabjj -  No desire to learn how to point box yet you may want to forward this one to Greg Jackson.

You don't have to follow as it all makes sense in my brain. It all makes sense.
7/2/12 2:33 PM
Gerbacio
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alumynabjj -
Kirik - 

You don't have to follow as it all makes sense in my brain. It all makes sense.
Alum are you being serious or trolling ??

What does his video have to do with point fighting... Phone Post
7/2/12 2:40 PM
Tom Lawlor
565 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys, IMO Marcos is a top 5 mind in the mma game across the board. From technique to business to mindset.

I was lucky enough to be on the trip he spoke about and it was amazing. Phone Post
7/2/12 3:41 PM
JDOKLR

TTT...........Libertad, Libertad, Libertad !!!!!!!!!!!!
7/2/12 3:47 PM
sevit86

vtfu and sub

great vid.

hope theres more on the way.....
7/2/12 3:52 PM
allforroy
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That rocks! Thanks for the free seminar! Phone Post
7/2/12 3:56 PM
guardbr8kr

ttt
7/2/12 4:00 PM
ThEUniT

Interesting.. Phone Post
7/2/12 4:03 PM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/02/12 4:03 PM
Fighters Only, web monkey

BJJ is the complete martial art. Nothing else is needed and you are missing nothing by not learning something about the totally unnecessary art of boxing. Boxers are idiots, they dont even start on their knees - how are they supposed to pull guard? And dont even get me started on their shitty armbars

DERP
7/2/12 4:30 PM
robbie380
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a great video for even fans to watch.  It really makes you start to recognize the depth of strategy that go into striking. 

Great thread!
7/2/12 6:13 PM
shah5297
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/2/12 6:43 PM
3 strikes
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub
7/2/12 6:44 PM
Wolfs Law
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
7/2/12 7:09 PM
socal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.