UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Wanderlei is coming to the end

7/3/12 11:27 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Following Silva's UFC 147 loss to Rich Franklin, UFC President Dana White told MMAjunkie.com "The Axe Murderer's" fighting career is just about over. However, White won't discuss Silva's future without prefacing his comments with a glowing compliment.

"Wanderlei Silva for so many years was my arch enemy over at PRIDE," White said. "I so wanted to do that fight with Chuck.

"But since he's set his foot in the UFC, he's been like he's always in the UFC. He's been a great guy. We love him, and he's a local here in Las Vegas, so he'll be around for a while one way or another."

White did say though that they will have "the talk" about retirement.

"Wanderlei is a guy, yeah, I want to talk to," said White. "He looked good in that fight. He almost won, and it's not like he got knocked out. And Rich Franklin can crack. He just knocked Chuck out."

"I think Wanderlei is coming to the end. I think he knows that too. There's nothing wrong with that. We all get old, and this is a young man's game. We'll see what happens.

"I'm not saying he needs to retire, but he's getting close."

Read entire article...

7/3/12 11:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A Flock Of Seagals - lol last week Dana didn't give a shit about the fighters and just wants $$$ now he does people will complain at him for "retiring" them.

Dana can not win.

Exactly. Some people just hate on him no matter what he does.

if he allows old fighters like a Chuck or someone to keep getting knocked out they say he only cares about making money off these guys and if he wants guys to retire because he doesnt want to make money off them they say he think she is God.

7/3/12 11:45 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will be a sad day when Wanderlei hangs up the gloves. One of the all time greats in Mixed Martial Arts history. Phone Post
7/3/12 11:56 AM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

On of the all time greats, I just hope he goes out on a win one of my favorites ever and I hate to see him loose Phone Post
7/3/12 12:04 PM
reed21k

I don't have a problem with Dana stating who he think's should hang them up but he is so wishy-washy...did he not say right after the fight that Wand is not done, he looked great etc. etc. I know some of his statements were in regards to being with the UFC in a different capacity as a fighter but Dana just seems so back and forth, too often.
7/3/12 1:46 PM
Mixed Martial Farts

Silva was entirely gassed by the 1st round.. when he landed those hard shots in the 2nd he couldn't even finish Rich Franklin who, once he collected himself, schooled him the rest of that fight from rounds 3-5.

Wanderlei is done, done, done and should absolutely retire before he sustains anymore injuries, IMHO.
7/3/12 1:54 PM
Aural_Apocalypse
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Farts -  Silva was entirely gassed by the 1st round.. when he landed those hard shots in the 2nd he couldn't even finish Rich Franklin who, once he collected himself, schooled him the rest of that fight from rounds 3-5.

Wanderlei is done, done, done and should absolutely retire before he sustains anymore injuries, IMHO.

Going by that logic, since Carwin gassed himself trying to finish Brock for the win; Carwin is done done done and should retire.

You fucking idiot.
7/3/12 1:58 PM
ArtWanderlei

Reality TV Star - Dana needs to stop being the retire God and focus on making money.

Chuck's retirement was justified, If he tries to rush Wand out the door fans will be pissed

No, he needs to stop always making everything about him.
7/3/12 1:59 PM
jar of flies
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carwin also hasn't been a professional fighter for nearly 2 decades.

7/3/12 2:04 PM
goku

no problem...just get wand on trt and u will see the good old wand from the pride days
7/3/12 2:07 PM
KissMisery

He's been done for a while but his "fans" keep encouraging him.

I think his family needs to sit him down and let him know to let it go. He's risking serious brain damage later on in life.

And to possibly be headed for another pending traumatic KO if the proposed Belfort fight goes through before the end of the year is a little sadistic.
7/3/12 2:13 PM
RandyDarsh
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aural_Apocalypse - 
Mixed Martial Farts -  Silva was entirely gassed by the 1st round.. when he landed those hard shots in the 2nd he couldn't even finish Rich Franklin who, once he collected himself, schooled him the rest of that fight from rounds 3-5.

Going by that logic, since Carwin gassed himself trying to finish Brock for the win; Carwin is done done done and should retire.

You fucking idiot.

whoever thinks wandy gassed in the first is a tool
7/3/12 2:31 PM
ArtWanderlei

goku -  no problem...just get wand on trt and u will see the good old wand from the pride days

That wasn't TRT and that was nearly a decade ago.
7/3/12 2:34 PM
MMAxNate
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a lot of derp in this thread.
7/3/12 3:01 PM
rampageforpresident

If the truth is to be told, Wanderlei is the ONLY reason I watched the last PPV and he made it worth it with that 2nd round. He gassed 100% and still had enough left to last 5 rounds with rich franklin. I know he should be closing in on retirement, but I think 2 or 3 more fun fights would be great. And, I think Wand has earned a few fun fights that don't need to pertain to title contention. A fight like a rematch with bisping (although that would be a contender fight) or a match with someone who isn't a huge KO threat would be cool. Not something the UFC has a habit of doing, but I feel at the end of a legends career that exceptions to the rule are justifiable.
7/3/12 3:13 PM
ArtWanderlei

rampageforpresident - If the truth is to be told, Wanderlei is the ONLY reason I watched the last PPV

Someone call Zuffa and tell him to get Wanderlie more fights. He is the only reason this guy watched the last PPV.
7/3/12 3:29 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Wand is clearly a candidate for retirement, the decision ultimately lies with him.

Dana suggesting his time is coming makes absolute sense.

I don't even know how this is considered news worthy? Are people really going to argue there is no case to be made for retirement? Phone Post
7/3/12 3:36 PM
Roy Batty
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm fine with Wand fighting Bisping or Cung again. Otherwise, not so much.
7/3/12 3:51 PM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was the drop of a hat from beating a top guy in Rich Franklin and now he no longer belongs in the UFC? Soooo so so stupid. He always puts on exciting fights and can beat almost anyone on a given night. Dropping him seems ridiculous to me. If they do drop him I hope he goes to Bellator and helps build them up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.