UnderGround Forums

MMA Memorabilia UnderGround >> Worth it to get Autos Authenticated? JSA, PSA, etc

7/3/12 1:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sofa King Cool
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone do this? Considering it for some items. Worth it? Experiences? Phone Post
7/3/12 3:59 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes. have done with other sports mem than just mma..

more and more ppl getting mma stuff graded now and we would assume that more mma auto authentification is sure to follow suit.

These authenticators will see more and more mma autos and their reliability pertaining to mma sigs will get better.

We already see an influx in fake items on the market with ppl taking advantage, so fake autos is a bonus to these guys..

its important to take pics of fighters signing your mem. keep a record of when and where you got item signed. if potential sellers still feel hesitant and you feel the need to provide for further proof your item is legit, then determine if you want to spend money for private authenticator. Phone Post
7/3/12 4:04 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*authentication* dang phone. Phone Post
7/3/12 4:37 PM
hunto21
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Autograph Authentication is the biggest scam in the sports memorabilia market. I've seen tons of in person sigs get shot down as fakes, and tons of fakes approved as legit. You are paying them for their opinion. But with a little research into habits of a person's signature you can tell whether or not it is legit or not.
7/3/12 4:47 PM
armbarheelhook

hunto21 - Autograph Authentication is the biggest scam in the sports memorabilia market. I've seen tons of in person sigs get shot down as fakes, and tons of fakes approved as legit. You are paying them for their opinion. But with a little research into habits of a person's signature you can tell whether or not it is legit or not.
I'm not stating that there hasn't been problems or untrustworthly authenticators out there..

but, lets take a Babe Ruth signed baseball for example. How would the avg person know that it is legit simply based off a little research on the internet so to speak.?
i
Babe Ruth's wife actually signed alot for him..
and without a professional authenticator to have the knowledge and look for the signs, the avg person wouldn't know this.

Then we also have the issue with the Auto Pen.

imo certain respected authenticators can actually add value to your memorabilia. Phone Post
7/3/12 4:49 PM
hunto21

We aren't talking about dead baseball players. We are talking about living mma fighters. All of whom have tons and tons of sigs out there to compare to. Don't waste your money to get shit authenticated.
7/3/12 5:01 PM
armbarheelhook

hunto21 - We aren't talking about dead baseball players. We are talking about living mma fighters. All of whom have tons and tons of sigs out there to compare to. Don't waste your money to get shit authenticated.
so how would you find a Fred Ettish auto and know its legit? or for that matter any obscure mma fighter..

Authentication is not the be all end all, but can and has been shown to provide a sense of mental security so to speak when purchasing items.

dropping a $100 on an auto 8x10 on the spot might be nothing to you and I, but to others they might want a little bit of self-assurance. Phone Post
7/3/12 5:08 PM
hunto21

There is no authentication company that could authenticate those obscure guys. So that isn't a relevant point.

I just think it depends on how confident you are in your own abilities to determine a fake or not. Better yet, you can post a pic of it on this forum and gets tons of FREE opinions.
7/3/12 5:17 PM
armbarheelhook

hunto21 - There is no authentication company that could authenticate those obscure guys. So that isn't a relevant point.

I just think it depends on how confident you are in your own abilities to determine a fake or not. Better yet, you can post a pic of it on this forum and gets tons of FREE opinions.
this is true.. free advice from forums is another good thing to fall back on.. but like shown on this forum, some autos ppl say are legit and some say they aren't..

over time athletes autos have been known to change a bit due to old age or health problems. muhammed ali auto circa 1976 compared to ali circa 96'.

I go by the rule of thumb that if I am never going to sell it, and I didnt pay alot for it, and I have another in hand to compare to, I will not pay money to get authenticated. Phone Post
7/3/12 5:37 PM
mmagirl104
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know enough about PSA/DNA, etc authentication services, to offer an opinion on whether or not it's something worth doing, but I really hate it when you see a great poster for sale and the PSA/DNA logo sticker is placed right on the front of the poster.

I've even seen an official signed-by-the-card UFC hologram poster recently with one of those stickers. Seriously, that's not necessary and it ruins the look of the poster imo. Gloves are not a big deal, you could probably take the sticker off, but I wouldn't risk trying to peel a sticker off the front of a poster.
7/4/12 2:37 AM
tdrsnake

JSA is unreliable. PSA is getting better. Ive used PSA/DNA for years for my NFL Hall of Fame signed card collection and they have done well by me.

THere are 113 Authentic Signature pages for fighters (and counting) over at mmagraphing.com that help members compare in person autographs to graphs they might be purchasing. Its a great resource and shows the different ways fighters sign stuff, from gloves to shirts and shorts to pictures. Shows what their graphs look like when they are walking and signing compared to when they are sitting down too. The pages there are heavily visited.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.