UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> #1 pick in FF in my league.. who to pick?

7/3/12 5:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Caleb
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

I'm leaning towards Aaron Rodgers, Arian Foster, or Lesean Mccoy. Non PPR league.....Opinions?? 
7/4/12 5:47 PM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rodgers seems like a slam dunk. Andy Reid has already said he gave McCoy to big a workload last year, so his points will probably come down. And if DeSean Jackson returns to form, that will be less points again.

Foster wouldn't be a terrible choice, but he did miss games last year with injury, which always scares me with backs. Rodgers just seems like a can't miss.
7/5/12 12:01 AM
Caleb
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Solid feedback Waylay... Thx. It's between Rodgers and Foster now for me. Question is what other Qb could I get at 24 in the draft? Phone Post
7/5/12 2:18 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Foster is an elite three down back. He missed a few games last year and was still one of the most productive backs. That said, it's unlikely his team will lean on him as much as they did last year when Schaub and Johnson were injured.

McCoy is also an elite back, but as mentioned above, he might not get as many touches as he did last year.

Rodgers is unlikely to be as efficient as he was last year, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will less of a fantasy asset. He might have to throw more in the fourth quarter, and garbage time stats count the same in the fake game.

Do you not like Ray Rice?
7/5/12 4:33 PM
Caleb

I'm not big on Ray Rice.. I had him in 2010 and he was such a pain that year. He was the 11th ranked RB. I do realized he was ranked #1 last year but Foster would have been right there with him without the injury. I just wouldn't feel right taking Rice with the #1 pick. I see him as a top 5 pick though. 

I'm in a tough spot here. If I take Rodgers I feel like I'm guaranteed production with a much slimmer chance of injury than say a RB. Rodgers is 100% legit and his team has weak defense and sorry rb's.. so that is a recipe for him lighting it up. At the same time I could take Foster and then get another good QB at 24 like Vick, Newton, Peyton, Stafford, etc. Then I'm possibly in even better shape. 

419, Foster may have an even better year than last year. He could possibly repeat 2010 if he has a starting QB and Andre is healthy. Teams were able to stack the box on him with a crappy QB last year. Also, Houston's defense is pretty dang stout which means they will get the ball plenty. 

I'm leaning heavy towards Foster. They have an easy schedule too. 

7/6/12 3:32 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Foster last year and will certainly try to roster him in our auction league this season. That said, there were games last year when he had almost forty touches because Schaub and Johnson were both out. Of course, he will still get plenty of touches when both those guys are playing. If he can avoid the anti-awesomeness all season, he's a lock for 1500/15.
7/6/12 5:38 PM
Caleb

He is such a unique RB and extremely crafty with a nose for the end zone. As long as his hamstrings hold up he is good to go. Solid team around him too.

7/6/12 10:17 PM
da Vinci 81
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would take Rodgers. If you're the 24th pick you're not getting a top qb when it comes back to you.

I find rb's overrated for the most part. Every year there's break out rb's who can be grabbed off waiver wire's or drafted if you take a few late round fliers. Murray, Hillis, R.Bush, etc. You won't find that with qb's( Cam Newton aside). I couldn't use a #1 overall pick on an rb for this reason.
7/6/12 11:49 PM
TheRealJoker
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem with drafting Foster is you have to worry about whether or not Tate steals points from him. Tate almost gained 1000 yards last year as a backup...

Best 1-2 punch in the league!!!
7/8/12 9:43 PM

Tate started a few games because Foster's bout with anti-awesomeness.
7/8/12 10:53 PM
TheRealJoker
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - Tate started a few games because Foster's bout with anti-awesomeness.
He was productive all season. Even when Foster was healthy. Phone Post
7/9/12 1:47 PM

Arian Foster is now vegan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-foster-switches-vegan-diet-155103736--nfl.html
7/9/12 1:59 PM

Foster DNP in weeks 1, 3 or 17 and had 10 carries in week 2; Tate accumulated 42% of his rushing yards in those 4 games.
7/10/12 1:54 AM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have to go with Aaron Rodgers, Foster has shown to be injury prone. Rodgers is the best bet.
7/10/12 4:28 PM
Caleb

Rodgers is for sure a safe bet but I have done about 12 mock drafts now and something interesting I have noticed. The QB's have a lot of depth... Peyton, Vick, Romo, and Rivers are being drafted around the 5th-7th round.  So there are some solid QB's in the mid rounds. 

WR pool has a ton of debth, and I mean a ton. 

RB pool is EXTREMELY weak, so it is best to pounce on them early. This is usually the case every year, but this year is REALLY weak. 

TE  Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham fly off the board early in round 2. They typically do not make it past 2nd round. In 12 drafts only once did I get Rob at the 24th pick.

So part of me is thinking of taking Arian first, then 2 more RB'S (Jamaal Charles/Demarco Murray possibly) then QB (Peyton hopefully) and WR  then 2 more WR or WR & TE.  This pretty much empties out the RB field quick and I will have some really good ones and also still get a 2nd tier QB like Vick, Peyton, Romo, or RIvers. 

Thoughts??

7/10/12 4:29 PM
Caleb

419 - Arian Foster is now vegan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/texans-foster-switches-vegan-diet-155103736--nfl.html

I'm vegetarian and in excellent shape so this doesn't bother me about him. He is probablly getting excellent food. He just started it too which means it may not last?? 
7/10/12 4:36 PM

I remember when Tony Gonzalez switched to a vegetarian diet and had some problems. But he was a much older player.
7/10/12 5:36 PM
Caleb

419 - I remember when Tony Gonzalez switched to a vegetarian diet and had some problems. But he was a much older player.

Just depends on if you do it right or not. You can go Vegan/Vegetarian and not know what you are doing and get yourself in trouble. 
7/11/12 11:32 AM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for RB's generally i've had luck picking up a top 5 one in the first 3-4 weeks of the season. there are usually a top 5 or so before the draft that are head and shoulders above the rest and 3 of them will fail. then there are generally 3 rbs that are drafted low or not at all that surprises everyone.

QBs are deeper than RB but there is a big drop off after rodgers, brady, and brees. after the three everyone else can have great streaks but are probably not going to be consistent through 16 games.
7/11/12 12:35 PM
Caleb

Yeah, I've finally settled it in my head. I'm going to take Aaron Rodgers. He is too much of a sure thing. 
Lot less chance of him getting hurt vs. Foster and he puts up a ton of points. Almost every year in my league the winner has an elite QB. Brady, Brees, or Rodgers.  I did a mock draft this morning and this is what it looked like. I can live with this team.  Stud QB, stud WR mixed with decent WR's... solid rb's, solid TE. 

If anyone has #1 in their draft, let me know and I can give you some solid advice on how to pick. 

1. Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB) 
2. Jamaal Charles (KC - RB) 
3. Greg Jennings (GB - WR) 
4. Frank Gore (SF - RB) 
5. Aaron Hernandez (NE - TE) 
6. Pierre Garcon (Was - WR) 
7. Reggie Wayne (Ind - WR) 
8. Chicago (Chi - DEF) 
9. Mason Crosby (GB - K) 
10. David Wilson (NYG - RB) 
11. Nate Washington (Ten - WR) 
12. Coby Fleener (Ind - TE) 

7/16/12 1:03 PM
quidditch
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a mock that I just did @ #5:

1. Drew Brees
2. Chris Johnson
3. Larry Fitzgerald
4. Percy Harvin
5. Steve Smith
6. Frank Gore
7. Willis McGahee
8. Brandon Marshall
9. Brandon Pettigrew
10. Michael Bush
11. San Fran D.
12. Justin Blackmon
13. Jacquizz Rodgers
14. Jay Cutler
15. David Akers
16. Jacob Tamme

Went with Drew Brees early as the shift to a pass happy NFL has made an elite QB gold. Backed that up with three very productive WR. My RBs are serviceable and if CJ2K returns to form, I'm sitting pretty. I won my big league last year with Willis McGahee and Marshawn Lynch as my lead backs (I drafted Peyton Hillis, but he never left my bench after week 3)so I'm going with that line of thinking again. Round it out with a decent TE, some depth @ QB, RB, WR and SF special teams and it's not a bad team.
7/16/12 5:41 PM
Caleb

quidditch - Here's a mock that I just did @ #5:

1. Drew Brees
2. Chris Johnson
3. Larry Fitzgerald
4. Percy Harvin
5. Steve Smith
6. Frank Gore
7. Willis McGahee
8. Brandon Marshall
9. Brandon Pettigrew
10. Michael Bush
11. San Fran D.
12. Justin Blackmon
13. Jacquizz Rodgers
14. Jay Cutler
15. David Akers
16. Jacob Tamme

Went with Drew Brees early as the shift to a pass happy NFL has made an elite QB gold. Backed that up with three very productive WR. My RBs are serviceable and if CJ2K returns to form, I'm sitting pretty. I won my big league last year with Willis McGahee and Marshawn Lynch as my lead backs (I drafted Peyton Hillis, but he never left my bench after week 3)so I'm going with that line of thinking again. Round it out with a decent TE, some depth @ QB, RB, WR and SF special teams and it's not a bad team.
That is certainly a solid team right there. Surprised Chris Johnson made it that for back in round 2 for you to grab him too. 

7/17/12 11:05 AM
quidditch
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caleb - 
quidditch - Here's a mock that I just did @ #5:

1. Drew Brees
2. Chris Johnson
3. Larry Fitzgerald
4. Percy Harvin
5. Steve Smith
6. Frank Gore
7. Willis McGahee
8. Brandon Marshall
9. Brandon Pettigrew
10. Michael Bush
11. San Fran D.
12. Justin Blackmon
13. Jacquizz Rodgers
14. Jay Cutler
15. David Akers
16. Jacob Tamme

That is certainly a solid team right there. Surprised Chris Johnson made it that for back in round 2 for you to grab him too. 

I guess people are still nervous after last year. That and it was a mock so people may have been trying different strategies.
8/3/12 11:34 PM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would have to say either Rodgers or Brees. I never bought into the whole getting a RB thing as they always got injured, or ended up not living up to what the "insiders" predicted. I think with the top picks you have to get someone who will guarantee you solid points each week and Rodgers, Brees, and even Brady (remember him when McDouchebag was his OC) are all safe bets.
8/18/12 11:37 PM
dangerboy12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cam Newton will be the top scoring player in a lot of leagues. Study the scoring system in your league.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.