UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Here is a post for Pastor Josh

7/22/12 12:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reverend john
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no I said I didn't agree to pretending he was someone who knew nothing about the gospel and try to tell him the gospel.

It makes no sense unless we agree

first what the gospel is

second who the person I am talking to is

third that this was all just a land of make believe

What I wanted to do was for him to ask me a question, and I would answer, he could ask questions of clarification, and I would answer. When it was done he could critique. Then I would ask him a question, and so on.

Or I would be open to a number of other scenarios. But I am not going to pretend that he is someone who has never heard of Jesus, (which you don't really meet anyways) nor to try and create this false scenario where I try and talk someone into a set of preconceived intellectual assents. The truth is I often "preach the gospel" which is the kingdom come, and when I meet people that do not know the gospel, my general tact is come and see, not sit and listen.

What I may do, if Josh refuses to skype under different term, is I may just record a message on justin.tv so you guys can watch it, and I can answer questions will I am recording if you like, explaining what the actual gospel of Jesus is, and how individual salvation is not what is called the gospel by either Paul nor the gospel writers.

And why the gospel is still incredibly important, as it takes us into a much deeper territory than salvation, but to actual discipleship and social transformation.

rev
7/22/12 3:58 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"And why the gospel is still incredibly important, as it takes us into a much deeper territory than salvation, but to actual discipleship and social transformation."

Yes yes yes. "getting saved" is just the beginning. Salvation has much more to do with what he saves us from HERE, and how we are to be salt, light, and salvation for others.

We seem to have made it about going to heaven one day when it is so much more than that Phone Post
7/22/12 7:46 PM
Rocky Dennis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So anyways, i didnt read through the rest of the post.  Are y'all going to Skype or what?  Forget all these silly little rules and just have a discussion perhaps? 
7/22/12 10:32 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rocky Dennis -  So anyways, i didnt read through the rest of the post.  Are y'all going to Skype or what?  Forget all these silly little rules and just have a discussion perhaps? 
The answer is a few posts up Phone Post
7/22/12 10:36 PM
Rocky Dennis

I saw a post several paragraphs long explaining what he may do, may not do, etc.  Rev seems to like drama and what not.  Lets cut the nonsense and just say "Rev, will you Skype with Josh and have an adult conversation.  No yelling, etc."  Yes or no?  If Rev says yes, what about Josh?  I havent seen him on here in a few days.
7/23/12 9:25 AM
reverend john
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I said yes, no drama, I am just not going to pretend it doesn't work that way for me. And you accusing me of loving drama is a bit condescending.

rev
7/23/12 12:38 PM
Rocky Dennis

Did I also mention sensitive?
7/23/12 1:11 PM
reverend john

and I am the one who loves drama

rev
7/23/12 2:48 PM
Rocky Dennis

;-) 
7/23/12 3:45 PM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When did Josh show back up? Or where did I go may be the more appropriate question.

While I probably agree with Josh theologically, his presentation...leaves a lot to be desired.

Seems to me he is like a lot of young guys that discover the reformed/covenantal theology.
7/23/12 4:26 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aka Mark Driscollites. They are descended from the sodomites, or so I hear.
7/25/12 2:37 PM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Driscoll
7/25/12 2:42 PM
reverend john

freedom4captives.wordpress.com/category/mars-hill-church/ 

7/25/12 2:44 PM
reverend john

matthewpaulturner.net/jesus-needs-new-pr/exorcism-at-mars-hill-one-womans-story/ 

7/25/12 2:44 PM
CJJScout

Read it before rev, doesn't change my mind. A complementarian position does not one a misogynist make.
7/25/12 2:56 PM
reverend john

don't think you read the whole blog, nor the second link

rev
7/25/12 2:57 PM
reverend john

There are actual recovery groups for people that have been abused by Mark

rev
7/25/12 3:03 PM
Rocky Dennis

reverend john - There are actual recovery groups for people that have been abused by Mark

rev

Ohhhh, poor babies.
7/25/12 5:09 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Driscoll is a johnny come lately to the Reformed theological movement. I find myself agreeing with alot of Reformed constructs of theology but they are some of the most arrogant bastards around. Driscoll is a joke. He will be taken down by his own haughtiness in time. Just give it time. Nothing personal to you Scout.
7/26/12 3:08 PM
CJJScout

reverend john - don't think you read the whole blog, nor the second link

rev

Did not read the second link, may at another time. Have read most of that other blog and others like it at other times. Doesn't change my opinion.

I think he is a stud. Don't agree with everything he says 100% of the time, but I'm probably 95% there. He ain't perfect, but he's a great bible teacher.

zealot, I agree with some of what you said. One of the things that kept me from Reformed theology for so long was the arrogance of its proponents. Interestingly enough, I myself have to guard against that arrogance now that I've embraced it.

I have some friends that are part of the Acts 29 church plant organization, both members and planters. Driscoll has done a lot lately to surround himself with accountability. He admits publicly that Piper, MacArthur, and maybe even Maheney have rebuked him and he accepts their counsel. He also admits that he struggles with pride.

All in all, I think the Lord will continue to bless his ministry but time will tell.

And zealot, I don't take it personal. Don't know Driscoll personally, so... I ain't his apologist, just like his teaching.
7/27/12 6:48 AM
CJJScout

reverend john - don't think you read the whole blog, nor the second link

rev

Read the 2nd. Still doesn't really phase me. I'm sure there are folks out there that can say bad crap about you too, rev.

Like I said, I have friends in the A29 Network that know Driscoll personally and think highly of him, personally and professionally. That link is one side of a story from a confessed agnostic. Not the most unbiased of opinions. I'm sure she had a bad experience, and I'm sure some folks in the process could have been more loving but the source may not be the most credible.
7/27/12 7:17 AM
TheHawker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Driscoll is just another post-protestant pope of his own theological fiefdom. There are hundreds if not thousands just like him, each with their own pet theologies and core of dedicated followers. They come and go, brought down inevitably by scandal or a tapped out market that can no longer afford to "sow" into their leader's bank account to finance his luxury lifestyle.
7/27/12 10:14 AM
CJJScout

TheHawker - Mark Driscoll is just another post-protestant pope of his own theological fiefdom. There are hundreds if not thousands just like him, each with their own pet theologies and core of dedicated followers. They come and go, brought down inevitably by scandal or a tapped out market that can no longer afford to "sow" into their leader's bank account to finance his luxury lifestyle.

LOL, do you know anything about Driscoll's finances?
7/27/12 10:27 AM
colubrid1

Regarding the girl from Mars Hill. Here is her quote in the end:

What are your thoughts regarding God now? Do you still consider yourself to be a Christian?

I consider myself agnostic, I suppose. I don’t think about it too often. I definitely do not consider myself a Christian/believer. And, in fact, I’m not certain whether I truly ever did. My experience with Jesus was, in my mind, really not even a true one!
7/27/12 10:28 AM
colubrid1

Edited: 07/27/12 10:29 AM
There is a huge difference between KNOWING Jesus and knowing ABOUT Jesus.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.