UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Looking for the footwork secret

7/4/12 9:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OMG this 12er
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey there...
I'm doing a blog for germans biggest martial arts shop. This month I wanna focus on the footwork in boxing.

What's the secret behind footwork? I remember my coach saying "you can't to the punches if you have shitty footwork"!
So footwork is what it's all about.

Tell me your experience. What's the key of good footwork? Share your best footwork drills.

Maybe there are coaches in here who can explain the important thing about it.

My coach told me some interesting things...but I wanna hear more...from coaches...boxers...normal guys.

Excited to hear some stuff! Phone Post
7/4/12 2:24 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/04/12 2:27 PM
The basic building blocks are stepping forward and back, stepping side to side, and pivoting. All footwork breaks down into those or into some combination of those.
7/4/12 3:49 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Footwork starts with balance, a good proper stance.

You should work on developing the proper stance first before you even throw a punch. Have someone check your balance from the front and from the side. A lot of guys blade too much and their balance is bad from the side or they fight too square and they are too much of a target.

Move on the balls of the feet, keep the proper separation (everyone knows to step forward the front foot moves first and the back foot drags so you can punch at any point in time.)Practice stepping and punching moving vertically, shadow box circling to the right or pivoting to the left.

When punching from the balls of the feet, practice slowly feeling where your weight is during the punch. Do some practice in the mirror to make sure your defense is good and your balance is right and really feel the weight distribution of the punch.

I teach the old "crush peanuts" or stamp out a cigarette butt foot movement for punching with the right hand and the left hook.

Of course make sure you don't cross your feet.

I like to see the back foot pointed more forward.

Make sure you bend the knees. Remember that you can move your feet and keep your upper body stationary or vice-versa.
The rope drill on bobbing and weaving can be a good footwork drill too. Balance again is key, the chest should be in-line with the knees. You should be equally positioned to move forward, backward left or right quickly and on balance.

I like the idea of finishing combinations with the left hand to reset.

Of course for defense there are three ways to defend a punch effectively

1. blocking (using the hands)

2. moving the head

3. Moving the feet For amateurs, the best success will be with learning to move the feet and developing good foot movement. Blocking, parrying and slipping are important, but with the volume of punches thrown, the focus in training should be on effective movement when you are not punching. Never stand still.

Of course focus on the idea that all punches start at the feet, the knees and hips, torso and shoulder are all extensions of footwork.

Don't bounce, its a waste of energy and you are not set to punch.

Blah FRAT

7/4/12 3:58 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/04/12 3:59 PM
Not a bad FRAT, buddie.
7/4/12 4:05 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, was about to type a bunch more and stopped for a sec and looked back at all the crap I just typed out and said (to myself) buddie STFU.
7/4/12 11:38 PM
jw234
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For me, it's mixing Kenny Weldon with Marvin Cook. Watch Charlie Burley to see this in orginal action.

In short, it's both hiding the rear leg while keeping your balance a little on that rear leg (as opposed to staying on the front leg). Also, it's cutting down on the needless bouncing.

When I started, I listened to all the normal advice, and I stayed crouched forward, bouncing on the balls of my feet all the time. I got the hell beat out of me by guys who did otherwise.
7/5/12 2:07 PM
OMG this 12er
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanx a lot for the replies so far! It's a good read! Thank you! Phone Post
7/8/12 4:45 AM
Stephen Eakin
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt for ol Buddie! Phone Post
7/8/12 1:25 PM
buddie

jw234 - For me, it's mixing Kenny Weldon with Marvin Cook. Watch Charlie Burley to see this in orginal action.

In short, it's both hiding the rear leg while keeping your balance a little on that rear leg (as opposed to staying on the front leg). Also, it's cutting down on the needless bouncing.

When I started, I listened to all the normal advice, and I stayed crouched forward, bouncing on the balls of my feet all the time. I got the hell beat out of me by guys who did otherwise.

I think its good to play with and experiment with what makes you comfortable when you are starting out. Do it then, because once you are set, you are pretty much set (unless you are like Hagler who fought his whole amateur career as a lefty, got turned to a right-hander and eventually just ended up being able to fight both ways equally effectively).

When you talk about footwork, a very big part of it is really hip positioning that controls the weight distribution and controls balance and power. In most sports, power and balance come from the hips.

For me, weight should be equally distributed between the left and right when in the normal stance, and constantly shifting, depending on where you are punching, advancing, or moving laterally. There are times you can fight more flat footed (or one foot flat and the other up on the toes) which is natural (and should, at least at first, a conscious movement in training.) Until your base and stance are good and centered, you'll never feel comfortable and you'll get hit more than you should and land less than you should.

More weight on the back foot means you are a fraction of a second behind offensively and truly back on your heels, a pressure fighter can bully you more easily that way.

A good drill to use is to set up some old paint cans in front of a full length mirror. Position them where you want your fighter's feet and have him stand on top of the cans and shadow box in the mirror. Have him focus on where his feet are. Have him shift his upper torso defensively, offensively etc. If his stance is true, he should still be on balance on the cans.
7/15/12 2:56 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent stuff, buddie.
9/5/12 8:04 AM
tiger07
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
9/5/12 8:04 AM
tiger07
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
9/5/12 3:28 PM
Stickgrappler
1583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

belated thank you buddie!
1/1/13 9:59 PM
DamnHenderson
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
1/3/13 12:39 PM
e. kaye
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/03/13 12:50 PM

We teach very specific footwork.   

The footwork is integral to the way that the rest of you body moves.

You have to move on every punch.

2/23/13 5:17 PM
Browny85
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

N
5/19/13 4:23 PM
DamnHenderson
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

N Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.