UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How Chael Outstruck Anderson

7/4/12 11:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/04/12 11:06 AM

Hey guys,
After my long piece on Anderson Silva's weaknesses on Monday I wanted to write a little bit more about Chael's use of his left straight. Using the rear straight to tie up is much, much superior to the old fashion jab and shoot, and offers the chance to do real damage with a safer method of clinching.

I hope you don't mind clicking the link and as always, all criticism is much welcomed!
Cheers,
Jack

In monday's article I spent almost 4000 words searching for a chink in Anderson Silva's armour, and came to the conclusion that the holes in Silva's game certainly require a unique skill set to exploit. I won't say a rounded skill set because almost no-one at middleweight has one of those; which is in no small part responsible for Anderson's incredible success and consistency. It seems that one needs a world class ground game or the threat of world class takedowns to force Anderson to square up to sprawl, then - while continuing to threaten with the takedown - power strikes must be mixed in. I also demonstrated that few people have ever had that much success (at least in the octagon) in closing the distance if they are in the opposite stance to Silva (or Open Guard).

Today, we will examine in more detail the technique that Chael Sonnen used to close the distance and hurt Silva numerous times throughout their bout, the rear straight. Of course, Silva had fought competent rear hand punchers before - Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort most notably. Dan Henderson is an orthodox fighter and was therefore not able to find much home for his tremendous right hand due to the enormous distance in Open Guard with Silva, furthermore Henderson throws his rear hand in a looping swing, and is thus already handicapped in the reach of his punch. Vitor Belfort, meanwhile, despite taking Silva down off of a kick at the start of their fight, was not much threat on the ground (having done next to nothing there in MMA despite his sterling ADCC record) and Silva felt no need to square his hips up or fight a takedown defence based game. Chael Sonnen was able to nail Silva so routinely with strikes because Silva's hands were low and hips were squared to defend the shot. It was not magic, just effective variation of offence.

The truth is that Anderson isn't half the counter fighter that he is against strikers when he is squared up and prepared to sprawl. He cannot shoulder roll or put much power in his rear hand, and if more grapplers were wiling to swing punches at him they would not only be capable of landing strikes more than they expected, but also be awarded with takedown opportunities that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Chael Sonnen's use of the rear hand straight to tie up of, shoot off of, and just deal damage with is something I have been calling for more grapplers to use for a long time. The old method of jab and shoot is enormously outdated, and not technically sound, it only succeeded because of the element of surprise and an enormous disparity in wrestling abilities between competitors. Tying up or shooting off of the rear hand is an excellent way of securing a takedown or a jarring right hand, and if more grapplers opted to utilize it we would see a rise in the number of knockouts secured by grapplers and in the number of successful takedowns.

After the jump I will detail the shortcomings of "Jab and Shoot" and outline the supremacy of the rear straight.

Continues at: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/4/3136780/ufc-148-judo-chop-how-chael-sonnen-out-struck-anderson-silva

7/4/12 11:10 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
7/4/12 11:15 AM
gatorlaw
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good piece. Phone Post
Jack Slack
1657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poppa Puff - He outstruck him because he ran up and got in his face and didn't stand around on the outside waiting to get ktfo.

In fairness - Anderson came nowhere near KO'ing Leites, Cote or Maia. He doesn't KO people when they wait around.
Masakatsu Funaki
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another great article! Phone Post
gatorlaw
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poppa Puff - He outstruck him because he ran up and got in his face and didn't stand around on the outside waiting to get ktfo.
Oh you mean like Chris Leben? No. The OP is on to something. Phone Post
7/4/12 11:17 AM
BonquishaBLOOD
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not trying to hijack, but hey jack I wrote the piece on khabib that's on the news for the site. Care to look at it? I really respect your opinion.

And I like what you did with this so far it's completely true they aren't well rounded lol I'm jumping on bl after Phone Post
7/4/12 11:19 AM
manzuri
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
7/4/12 11:21 AM
Periodik
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
7/4/12 11:23 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayamaOwnedMySN 3x
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read Phone Post
7/4/12 11:24 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayamaOwnedMySN 3x
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BonquishaBLOOD - Not trying to hijack, but hey jack I wrote the piece on khabib that's on the news for the site. Care to look at it? I really respect your opinion.

And I like what you did with this so far it's completely true they aren't well rounded lol I'm jumping on bl after Phone Post
That was also a sick article. I can't wait to watch him fight! Phone Post
7/4/12 11:26 AM
Brian Rule
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack - 
Poppa Puff - He outstruck him because he ran up and got in his face and didn't stand around on the outside waiting to get ktfo.

In fairness - Anderson came nowhere near KO'ing Leites, Cote or Maia. He doesn't KO people when they wait around.

Actually Anderson almost finished Maia towards the end of one of the earlier rounds. Forget which one but Maia was definitely in trouble. I totally hear your point though

And I totally agree about the rear straight > tie up/takedown strategy. Someone else who I think does this extremely well is Rashad. I always thought Rashad would be a tough fight for Silva, especially in a three round fight, and it's surprising that Rashad ducked him (according to Irvin, prior to his fight with Anderson).

Great stuff as always Jack!
7/4/12 11:26 AM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its pretty basic. He was able to land on the feet because Anderson was only worried about the takedown.
7/4/12 11:29 AM
ortman166

Didn't read, I generally like your articles but chael did not outstrike Anderson. Phone Post
7/4/12 11:39 AM
Jack Slack

ortman166 -  Didn't read, I generally like your articles but chael did not outstrike Anderson. Phone Post

Landed the only big, clean punches of the fight.

It's just a title ;)
7/4/12 11:56 AM
ortman166

Jack Slack -
ortman166 -  Didn't read, I generally like your articles but chael did not outstrike Anderson. Phone Post

It's just a title ;)
He landed 1 big punch. And then Anderson lowered his hands and stood infront of chael letting him tag him. So I guess if you count those... And I know it wasn't a "punch" but that elbow was by far the most significant standing strike in the fight. Phone Post
7/4/12 12:02 PM
Jack Slack

ortman166 - 
Jack Slack -

It's just a title ;)
He landed 1 big punch. And then Anderson lowered his hands and stood infront of chael letting him tag him. So I guess if you count those... And I know it wasn't a "punch" but that elbow was by far the most significant standing strike in the fight. Phone Post
Give the fight another watch, it's up free atm.

Anderson wasn't rolling with punches like he normally does, he was getting hit clean because he was trying to keep his hips square.

People need to stop pretending that Anderson is some magician who deliberately eats punches flush or gets beaten up for 4 rounds to prove a point.

7/4/12 12:21 PM
SolracoMMA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack on fine lately. Love these articles! Phone Post
7/4/12 12:22 PM
SolracoMMA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fire* - cant edit, phone. Phone Post
7/4/12 12:26 PM
Domingo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Leben comparison isn't really fair because Leben came at him, but was looking to exchange.
Chael's biggest threat is a power double or deep single. Anderson had to be wary of that, so strikes landed as a result. They worked so well because Chael actually threw his strikes hard enough to do damage. They weren't necessarily KO shots, but they were hard enough so that if they landed, the shot was all but guaranteed on a dazed opponent.
7/4/12 12:31 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

gatorlaw - 
Poppa Puff - He outstruck him because he ran up and got in his face and didn't stand around on the outside waiting to get ktfo.
Oh you mean like Chris Leben? No. The OP is on to something. Phone Post

NO way. Poppa Puff clearly knows more about the intricacies of striking tha the OP. I mean that in depth break down clearly exposes that...
7/4/12 12:33 PM
CaptainWoody
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later
7/4/12 12:33 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Jack Slack - 
ortman166 - 
Jack Slack -

It's just a title ;)
Give the fight another watch, it's up free atm.

Anderson wasn't rolling with punches like he normally does, he was getting hit clean because he was trying to keep his hips square.

People need to stop pretending that Anderson is some magician who deliberately eats punches flush or gets beaten up for 4 rounds to prove a point.

Could he have also not been as effecctive at head movement and rolling if he had a very painful rib injury?

I am just asking if you think that keeping his hips square was the only reason his defense of striking did not look the same.
7/4/12 12:40 PM
vieages

Rodrigo Gracie did a nice straight right to a takedown alot in his fights years ago. i always thought it was pretty effective
7/4/12 1:29 PM
PTM2020
724 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack -

Not True.

Anderson had him bloodied up and battered from strikes and elbows.

Dropped him on his ass in the begining of the  3rd.

Set up the Triangle with a big punch from  the guard that hurt Chael.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.