UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> SQL Server Problem

7/5/12 5:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am trying to use a piece of financial analysis software that requires that I first of all install SQL.

I have now installed SQL. I then try and open the software and receive the following statement:

"The CREATE DATABASE statement failed. The primary file must be at least 5MB to accommodate a copy of the model database"

I am stumped. I presume I have to increase the size of the primary file but I have no idea how to do this.

I can open the SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do from here?

Thanks in advance.

All replies appreciated.
7/7/12 11:43 AM
Joe Ray
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any SQL gurus got a clue as to what I should be doing?

7/7/12 8:56 PM
theseanster
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/12 9:01 PM
If it is a 3rd party software, contact the vendor for support or check their Web site. Not much else you can do about it. Unless you are running some kind of script they gave you that has the "create database" statement in it already, in which case increase the size parameter. 

Maybe try shrinking your model database:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1223596-146-1.aspx#bm1223686
7/7/12 11:24 PM
grapplingwithzen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is difficult to diagnose this problem over the internet. My understanding is that whenever you create a database in sql server, it uses the "model" database as a template.

In this case what is probably happening is that your software is trying to create a database that is smaller than the "model" database (by specifying the size in the create database command).

What version of SQL Server did you install? Try installing an older version like SQL Server 2005, I think the model database is smaller.

What is the name of the financial analysis software? It may be that you can modify the script it uses to create the database.

7/8/12 4:52 AM
Joe Ray

The software I am using is called Pairtrade Finder.

I have tried shrinking and expanding the primary file but nothing seems to work.

I have now uninstalled SQL 2012 and am installing SQL 2008.

I'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.

7/8/12 4:55 AM
Joe Ray

Hooray it works.

I'm going to be rich :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.