UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> What's kicking your musical ass now?

7/6/12 9:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/12 10:24 AM

Jeff Loomis' "Requiem for the Living" has been kicking my ass. Love the "post-Cacophony" era stuff.

Brent Mason:

And Andy James is pretty sick:

So what's kicking your musical ass?
7/6/12 10:11 PM
Ali
777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's kicking my ass isn't well-translated on youtube. And at the moment, something that has nothing to do with favorite guitarists (how odd!)

I've been listening to Mikel Rouse's "Gravity Radio". Kicks my ass hard.

I didn't even know until I looked at youtube -- it's a multimedia project, with films and actors and the whole nine. In theory that should make video better. But the sound quality on what I've tried there is bad, and there are just these snippets or surveys that really don't get it across at all.

Plenty of other things that I could probably find videos
7/7/12 5:29 PM
asbury
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing is kicking my ass right now to be honest. But I have been listening a little to "blackgaze" music, which is an interesting mix of black metal and shoegaze. The two styles mix together very nicely.
7/8/12 1:01 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tosin Abasi from "Animals as Leaders" seems to be an up and coming guy:

7/8/12 11:59 AM
Ali
777 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last weekend, this guy was kicking my ass:

7/8/12 9:42 PM
jman

Scott Henderson is great, I learned so much from his "Prasing" instructional video (or whatever it was called).
7/8/12 10:46 PM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The return of Lo-Fi and people telling me I should take up the bass.
7/9/12 4:04 AM
MMA Translations
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

finding time to compose is the #1 thing kicking my ass, goddamnit.

other than that, the fact that every classical piece for guitar has exactly 1 measure that i can only play at half the speed of the other 200 measures...

the fact that i watched Yamashita Kazuhito videos on youtube and decided i should just quit guitar anyway...

and all of the shredding tabs that actually appear rather easy until i try to play them ;)

7/9/12 10:43 PM
Ali

jman - Scott Henderson is great, I learned so much from his "Prasing" instructional video (or whatever it was called).

The youtube comments say something like "Phrasing, Indeed!" I don't know that video -- let us know what you learned!

I've seen him 5 times now (I think) -- and he's always really good. Sometimes transcendent. Like, just crazy amazing imagination for tone but also just the most unexpected and perfect improvisational lines, crazy chordal work, rhythm playing and voice-leading stuff at the same time.... Takes my head off. I said he kicked my ass last weekend because I saw him in North Hollywood, a trio show (that was billed as a quartet -- the keyboardist wasn't there; so just a trio show). Henderson really just left me slack-jawed, more than ever. Already one of my favorites, but he was so much better than I ever knew.
7/10/12 4:28 AM
jman

Edited: 07/10/12 4:35 AM
North Hollywood aye...damn I miss LA. I remember going to see Frank Gambale and all of those guys at La Va Lee and Baked Potato...oh well.

PHRASING VIDEO...how about I let him explain some of it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ewnf_scott-henderson-melodic-phrasing_music
7/11/12 9:45 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The energy here is amazing.

I didn't let myself get into the White Stripes until about 3 months ago...

Yes, I'm stupid...
7/13/12 9:52 PM
asbury

if you like the white stripes you might like this more

little hurricane

http://youtu.be/AFKgipi4Tc4
7/14/12 6:05 AM
MMA Translations
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hm now i wanna learn the tapping part of andy james' breaking through, the first song in jman's first thread.. wonder if theres a tab ;)
7/23/12 12:32 PM
Mako_
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm only 3-1/2 years into playing so pretty much everything I try kicks my ass haha. Having said that though, Rocksmith can go from fairly easy to beyond my skills and everywhere in between. I think it's been a good training tool for me.
7/23/12 6:57 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife, daughter and I are going to see Jack White at the Shrine Auditorium next month.

So there...
8/19/12 4:02 PM
sreiter

Demitrius Barbito -  My wife, daughter and I are going to see Jack White at the Shrine Auditorium next month.

So there...

i thought you lived up north?

are you in LA now?
8/19/12 7:19 PM
Demitrius Barbito

No. I made the trip to LA for my darling daughter...
8/19/12 8:54 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Django`s solo on After You`ve Gone is one.. Another is Tony Rice`s E.M.D.. I`ve also been working on playing Tico Tico at warp speed..lol. I just am not a speedster but I`m working on it.
8/23/12 10:09 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hot Lunch

8/23/12 10:11 PM
Demitrius Barbito

TTT

I don't think I ever did one of those TTT type things...
8/24/12 6:15 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listening to a roomate who claims he's a drummer pounding out beats on my couch and sucking greatly.

I know you all have met someone who doesn't hear all the notes or beats and plays the same rhythm to every song.

That is what is kicking my ass.
8/30/12 12:31 AM
Thanos Foo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trying to play Lindsey Buckingham's acoustic version of Big Love.My guitar just broke.
9/1/12 12:52 PM
hugomma
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/01/12 10:47 PM
There's a whole thread titled "Guitar god Nels Cline" on this page that documents my musical ass-kicking. Mr. Cline's solo work has turned my world upside down.

9/1/12 1:00 PM
hugomma
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks to my good friend Ali, I've become a full-fledged card-carrying Bill Frisell evangelist weirdo.  This Power Tools album (with Melvin Gibbs on bass & Ronald Shannon Jackson on drums) recently opened up my 11-teenth chakra.
9/1/12 1:03 PM
hugomma

In an attempt to recruit some of you into our cult, here's a 2 for 1'er with Frisell & Cline.  Not for everyone, but hopefully some of you enjoy it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.