UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> What's kicking your musical ass now?

9/1/12 1:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For Hillbilly.
9/1/12 1:10 PM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For Hillbilly part deux.
9/1/12 1:18 PM
hugomma

Edited: 09/01/12 11:03 PM
Here's a link to Henderson's entire "Melodic Phrasing" video for anyone that wants to see it (the embed code didn't work):

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/35987646 
9/1/12 10:35 PM
hugomma

More ridiculous Scott Henderson.
9/2/12 11:07 AM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/02/12 11:19 AM
^^^
That Henderson clip is sick stuff!!! I tried to figure some of it out, but he's all over the place. I thought it was the whole-half diminished scale for some of the parts (or maybe Locrian #2), but, other parts are just craziness (in an awesome way).

hugomma - In an attempt to recruit some of you into our cult, here's a 2 for 1'er with Frisell & Cline.  Not for everyone, but hopefully some of you enjoy it.

Cool stuff, almost doesn't even "sound" like guitars. Nice Lydian type vamp...probably adds the myseterious sounds and makes it even more atmospherice.

Very nice, thanks!
9/2/12 1:54 PM
hugomma

Edited: 09/02/12 2:19 PM
jman - ^^^
That Henderson clip is sick stuff!!! I tried to figure some of it out, but he's all over the place. I thought it was the whole-half diminished scale for some of the parts (or maybe Locrian #2), but, other parts are just craziness (in an awesome way).

hugomma - In an attempt to recruit some of you into our cult, here's a 2 for 1'er with Frisell & Cline.  Not for everyone, but hopefully some of you enjoy it.

Cool stuff, almost doesn't even "sound" like guitars. Nice Lydian type vamp...probably adds the myseterious sounds and makes it even more atmospherice.

Very nice, thanks!

Glad you liked the clips jman.  Thanks for checking them out.

You've got a hell of an ear to hear 1/2 diminished/Locrian #2.  Loved what I heard on your clip.  What's your background?   

Oddly enough, I'm just learning my melodic minor modes & brushing up on 7th chord inversions.  I'm about to start lessons again with a gentlemen by the name of Dale Bruning.  Interestingly enough, Mr. Bruning was Bill Frisell's guitar teacher. 

Here's Frisell talking about the effect Mr. Bruning had on his career:

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/03/bill_frisell_on_studying_with.php

I played years ago & even studied classical guitar at a small college in North Jersey.  I was a terrible classical guitarist who always wanted to be a rock/jazz fusion guy (who doesn't :-).  Just starting to get back into it.  With a kid, family, & a 9 to 5, it'll be tough, but I plan to dedicate 5-10 hours a week (or more) to learn this stuff.  No matter how slow I progress, or how long it takes, I'm doing this.  I have to.  It's calling me.

9/3/12 11:14 AM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a great interview, you're certainly a lucky guy to take lessons with Dale Bruning. I'd never heard of him, but if Bill Frissel speaks so highly, how can it be wrong???

FRAT warning.

My background is basically just self-taught. I've had maybe 5 guitar lessons my whole life, I just like to read and study. The past year I got lucky and studied classical composition with a Romanian composer for about 4 weeks, 6 days a week, 1-2 hours a day. Fucking mindblowing. This guy (Mihnea Brumariu) was writing an opera in his room in Paris with a pen and paper...NO INSTRUMENT IN THE ROOM. Perfect pitch, etc. So working with him, and king of getting some encouragement (like Bruning with Frissel) has really kicked my ass to study music more. The past year I haven't even really played guitar because I've been studying like 8 different classical books: Counterpoint, Fugue, Orchestration, Modulation, etc...trying to continue studying from the inspiration from my composition teacher.

The last thing I wrote was this short little string quartet for my friend's animation he is doing (he only needed 4 seconds):

Besides the latest music studying, I'm currently playing with an Asian "pop star" Gary Chaw (I'm living Taiwan now, where my wife is from). I've played and toured in metal bands, prog rock bands, before that played bass in a jazz/fusion combo (I sucked) and before that played in jazz big bands and combos in college. I'm not sure what style I even play...just "music" I guess. I'm not as good as I wish I could be, so I'm trying to start practicing again. Sucks now though, because I turn 42 this week so I'm finally after 29 years of playing starting to get tendonitis in my wrists, so I have to be extremely careful how much and HOW I'm actually playing.

One piece of advice, try to fit the stuff in a daily routine, instead of 10 hours on the weekend. 1 hour 7 days a week, is so much better that 10 hours in one day or weekend.

Good luck, let me know how the lessons go, it sounds incredible!
9/3/12 11:25 AM
Mako_
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading all this makes me wish I'd gotten into music at a much earlier age. There's so much to learn and so much technique to practice with only a couple hours at most to dedicate to it each day.
9/3/12 1:24 PM
hugomma

jman - What a great interview, you're certainly a lucky guy to take lessons with Dale Bruning. I'd never heard of him, but if Bill Frissel speaks so highly, how can it be wrong???

FRAT warning.

My background is basically just self-taught. I've had maybe 5 guitar lessons my whole life, I just like to read and study. The past year I got lucky and studied classical composition with a Romanian composer for about 4 weeks, 6 days a week, 1-2 hours a day. Fucking mindblowing. This guy (Mihnea Brumariu) was writing an opera in his room in Paris with a pen and paper...NO INSTRUMENT IN THE ROOM. Perfect pitch, etc. So working with him, and king of getting some encouragement (like Bruning with Frissel) has really kicked my ass to study music more. The past year I haven't even really played guitar because I've been studying like 8 different classical books: Counterpoint, Fugue, Orchestration, Modulation, etc...trying to continue studying from the inspiration from my composition teacher.

The last thing I wrote was this short little string quartet for my friend's animation he is doing (he only needed 4 seconds):

Besides the latest music studying, I'm currently playing with an Asian "pop star" Gary Chaw (I'm living Taiwan now, where my wife is from). I've played and toured in metal bands, prog rock bands, before that played bass in a jazz/fusion combo (I sucked) and before that played in jazz big bands and combos in college. I'm not sure what style I even play...just "music" I guess. I'm not as good as I wish I could be, so I'm trying to start practicing again. Sucks now though, because I turn 42 this week so I'm finally after 29 years of playing starting to get tendonitis in my wrists, so I have to be extremely careful how much and HOW I'm actually playing.

One piece of advice, try to fit the stuff in a daily routine, instead of 10 hours on the weekend. 1 hour 7 days a week, is so much better that 10 hours in one day or weekend.

Good luck, let me know how the lessons go, it sounds incredible!

Thanks for the encouragement, jman.  Kind words from a working pro go a long way. 

Yeah, as you can tell, I'm really excited about studying with Dale Bruning.  What pushed me over the edge was actually seeing Frisell a couple of months ago in Boulder.  Not only was I blown away, I was moved, like, in a weird way.  I hunted him down on the net, called him, & got the lessons.  I will only get an hour a month, but believe me, I will make the most of it. 

I hear what you say about a daily practice routine & playing regularly.  My goal is an hour a day, at least a 1/2 hour day if things get nuts, & no more that missing one consecutive day of practice a week when insanity happens.  Unfortunatly, with family/work, I have to plan around this.  I already spoke to Mr. Bruning about it, and he has a good understanding of what he's working with, LOL.

I hear you about the age thing.  I'm 41, & the clock is certainly ticking.

I remember you mentioning you were studying composition on the "Analyzing chords?" thread.  Your String Quartet idea sounds fantastic.  Glad to see you've been keeping up with it.  Thanks for sharing.  Please keep us updated on your progress as well.  I'm not the only one here interested in your muscial exploits.

9/17/12 2:53 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks hugomma. Marc O`Connor (violin) just has a tone from hell! When I was in the Navy (1981-4) I would jam on Grisman cassettes (remember cassettes..lol?) and my 4 other roommates were all black guys...They actually loved it and would ask me to play it all the time.

Kind of when I realized that good music has no ethnic boundaries.
9/18/12 1:42 PM
hugomma

Hillbilly - Thanks hugomma. Marc O`Connor (violin) just has a tone from hell! When I was in the Navy (1981-4) I would jam on Grisman cassettes (remember cassettes..lol?) and my 4 other roommates were all black guys...They actually loved it and would ask me to play it all the time.

Kind of when I realized that good music has no ethnic boundaries.

Anytime Hillbilly.  Anytime you want something posted, just let one of us know.  I'll be glad to do it.

And I agree: good music has no boundaries whatsoever.
9/18/12 11:09 PM
jman

I'm sure you guys have heard the famous quote (used by Duke Ellington, Chopin and others):

There are two kinds of music..........................GOOD and BAD.
9/19/12 10:42 AM
hugomma

DISCLAIMER: I'm a fairly recent Mike Keneally convert.  Nerd that I am, I scour YouTube & bug the living shit out of Ali for any Mike Keneally songs/info I can find.

When I found this, I thought it would be twisted genius Zappa-esque shredding.  Instead, I got a warped, "affectioniate tribute" to Yes.  And I love it.  As a long time Yes/Steve Howe fan, "Faithful Axe" cracks me up unlike anything I've heard in recent memory.  

Unfortunatley my family doesn't hear things the same way I do.  My 7 year old thought it was funny the first couple of times.  And my poor wife...Zappa, Sun Ra, Mike Patton, Bad Brains...now this.

Here's the Faithful Axe challenge to see how many Yes references you can name in the song...if you're so inclined:  http://www.joesapt.net/superlink/axe/ 
9/19/12 10:46 AM
hugomma

I've posted this before on other threads, but this is Fantamos/Mike Patton's version of Al Green's simply beautiful.  My 7 year old LOVES this, & asks me to play it all the time.  It still blows me away.  
9/19/12 11:27 AM
jman

Edited: 09/19/12 11:30 AM
Not sure if you've heard of Marc Bonilla (had the song "White Noise" back in 1992 or so) just awesome instrumental guitar cd "EE Ticket" one of my all time favorites. Not a huge Mike Keneally fan, but I think this is him playing keyboards for Marc Bonilla on this live TV performance? I love the slow pocket they keep (could be very easy to push the beat)...and to do it live, nice!

Mike Patton is a fucking genius and super talented. I was lucky and got to see Mr. Bungle live in concert in San Francisco on New Year's Eve in 1992, insane stuff...just incredible. His creativity as well as his vocal chops are off the charts.

That Fantomas video above was from 2000 in Germany, I got to tour Germany that same year with Steel Prophet two months after that video was shot and we had the same tour bus driver that drove Mike Patton's band. He said that Mike Patton never drank at all during the tour, just a normal quiet guy, lol. I was expecting some crazy stories, but there he said there weren't any. I worked with a guy that went to high school with Patton and the other guys in Mr. Bungle...now he said that those guys were pretty crazy.

My favorite Mr. Bungle song:

9/19/12 5:41 PM
hugomma

I agree 100% about Mike Patton, pure genius.  Him & Chris Cornell are the two best singers of our generation, IHMO, & Patton's voice has held up better than Cornell's.

Here's another one from that Germany show.  My kid asks me to play this before his basketball/baseball games.
9/19/12 5:46 PM
hugomma

Here's one that recently kicked my ass live: this is Trevor Dunn, the bassist from Mr. Bungle & Fantomas, who's pretty damn great in his own right.  He's playing doulbe bass with King Buzzo & Dale Crover of the Melvins, & is currently doing 51 shows in 51 days.

Dunn was incredible.  He played pieces of EVH's "Eruption", and a tripped out version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" during one of his many solos.  They were swinging when I saw them.  Great show, had a blast.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.