UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Serra: I want Hughes at MSG

7/6/12 3:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1070 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"As of right now I have nothing on the radar, and there's nothing planned, and I'm fine with that. But if I could choose my last fight it would be against Matt Hughes at Madison Square Garden," Serra said. "That would be a beautiful thing. He (Hughes) has expressed interest in that fight on Twitter so I was like, 'Let's do this.'"

Serra is absolutely right. A tilt between him and Serra would be a beautiful thing, as a fight between two all-time greats would be interesting for the fans, especially here in New York.

Serra, a former UFC welterweight champ, is easily the most popular New Yorker to ever enter the octagon, and New York fight fans would love to send him off into retirement with a hometown match against one of his all-time greatest rivals, Matt Hughes.

read entire article...

7/6/12 3:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the idea but its not a big enough show for the first MSG, even with Serra being a LI draw.
7/6/12 3:30 PM
SupesUp
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a fine 3rd or 4th fight under a good main and co main. I wish every card had a fight like this as the second ppv fight of the night. Phone Post
7/6/12 3:30 PM
CaptainWoody
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - I like the idea but its not a big enough show for the first MSG, even with Serra being a LI draw.

It doesn't have to be the main event
7/6/12 3:31 PM
Crooklyn
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
I wanna see it! Please let NY MMA be legal before these two call it a day. 
7/6/12 3:32 PM
Morgz
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way in hell that would ever be the 2nd fight on a PPV card.  It would be Co Main or Main event.  2 former champions for goodness sakes.
7/6/12 3:34 PM
hellride
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That card could be the most stacked of all time. Multiple title fights. Hughes and Serra could kick start the main. No way the UFC limps into MSG for the first time.
7/6/12 3:39 PM
Morgz
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unclehulka13 - 
Morgz -  No way in hell that would ever be the 2nd fight on a PPV card.  It would be Co Main or Main event.  2 former champions for goodness sakes.
2 formers champions who are completely irrelevant. You must not be complaining about the Ortiz griffin fight tomorrow. 2 formers champions on the brink of retirement. Phone Post

completely irrelevant?  Shame on you.  Sure neither is in the title hunt, but irrelevant?  Negative.

7/6/12 3:52 PM
HELWIG

The only two guys to ever beat and finish the champ.
7/6/12 3:55 PM
InspiritMick

HexRei - I like the idea but its not a big enough show for the first MSG, even with Serra being a LI draw.

Co main event would be great
7/6/12 3:55 PM
jjj2121

Nothing wrong with that fight as a co-main on PPV especially if it's the swan song for both.
7/6/12 3:58 PM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serra and Hughes will hang it up LONG before MMA is sanctioned in New York.

But I sure do like this as both their retirement fight.
7/6/12 4:18 PM
UGCTT_molsonmuscle360
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's the perfect fight to open the PPV on the first MSG card when shit gets figured out there.  You damn well know there is going to be at least one title fight on that card, more than likely 2.  My guess is you will get one of GSP, Anderson, or Chael whoever happens to be the champ after saturday and probably a lower weight title fight.
7/6/12 4:18 PM
ophusker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see this fight. It would be really cool if both guys came out and said this is it for me my last time in the cage. Even tough there is bad blood between them I think it would show respect to each other to say this is my last fight and this is the guy I want it to be against. Neither guy is in his prime any more and neither really has any business fighting young contenders. A fight between the two of them would be very interesting and competitive. Regardless of if you're a fan of Hughes or Serra it would be better to see them fight each other win or lose then then them go out with losses to some young kid looking to make a name for himself.
7/6/12 4:19 PM
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no problem with it as long as it isn't the headliner.
7/6/12 4:24 PM
mmacburt

I like Matt Hughes..Im a BJJ guy but I would like to see Hughes KO Serra.
7/6/12 4:25 PM
Mark Hunter
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see your point, but don't think you realize how big of a turnout this fight would draw to MSG. They could put one or two more big fights on the card if they chose, but I honestly think the crowd would largely be there for Serra vs. Hughes.
7/6/12 5:29 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes would probably LnP Serra like he did last time. One of the few fights Hughes was seriously laying the LnP on thick.
7/6/12 5:30 PM
Brasky

Morgz -  No way in hell that would ever be the 2nd fight on a PPV card.  It would be Co Main or Main event.  2 former champions for goodness sakes.

Yeah, that are both way past their prime and both are non-factors in their division. This could open a NYC PPV.
7/6/12 5:36 PM
UnderGroundAviator

Who does Serra think he is.. Kunta Kinte? Phone Post
7/6/12 5:38 PM
buckshot44
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crooklyn - I wanna see it! Please let NY MMA be legal before these two call it a day. 

This, would be awesome!!
7/6/12 6:27 PM
Kingofny23
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IwillSuckTheSkinOffYourBone -  Didnt Hughes beat Serra two times already?
Once via questionable decision. Phone Post
7/6/12 6:28 PM
SleepBomb

so he wants to fight well into his 50s?
7/6/12 6:36 PM
KrzyBnzJnz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serra LOVES msg Phone Post
7/6/12 6:38 PM
RandyDarsh
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HELWIG - The only two guys to ever beat and finish the champ.
Solid point, call me crazy for wanting to see this matchup more than Tito vs Forrest.

Maybe I just miss watching Matt fight Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.