UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Stretching routine for kicking?

7/6/12 6:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FLMikeATT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have a solid stretching routine for developing flexibility for high kicks and stuff? Any good books or instructionals out there?

What I've been doing lately, just from what I found on Google in 15 minutes of searching, is a basic dynamic warmup to get my joints loose and warm. After that, leg swings with both legs front/back and side/side. I am careful to progress the height of my swings gradually so I don't hurt myself. Also, I take precaution not to do it ballistically (which I hear is a big no no).

After I'm warmed up with the leg swings I practice specific kicks, again progressing in height and intesity slowly. I mix in some of those stretches where you hold your leg in place in one position (eg holding a side kick until your leg drops). Forget what the name of that kind of stretching is.

Then at the end of the session I do a warmdown comprised of relaxed stretching and some PNF stretching.

Am I doing this right? Suggestions? I really want to increase my flexibility and would like to know if I'm on the right track.
7/6/12 10:58 PM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're doing it right by going with dynamic stretching after a good warm up. Start off low and work your way up. The static stretching at the end of the workout help too, but aren't really necessary.

Thomas Kurz is the guy I looked to for flexibility training. He's the guy that used to have the old adds in black belt with him doing the splits on two chairs, with a girl sitting on his leg. You're essentially following his program.

What kind of strength training are you doing? Kurz recommended doing a lot of deadlifts and squats (his thing was most people were too weak to really stretch, and didn't recommend people really try flexibility training until they could deadlift at least their own bodyweight.
7/7/12 5:55 PM
FLMikeATT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/12 5:56 PM
I just started doing squats/deads/benchpresses at the gym a few weeks ago. I always avoided by the heavy lifts but I just decided to stop being a pussy and start lifting heavy.

I can DL my own BW (155lbs) and my squat is somewhere around 200lbs although my 1 rep max might be a bit more than that.

I think I stumbled across Kurz when I was looking at stretching books on Amazon. Will look into him. Also, the routine I posted I pretty much lifted straight from this guy on Martialartsplanet.com :

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89245
http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85373
7/27/12 9:42 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 2nd link you posted:

"What books or DVDs do you recommend?

Stretching Scientifically (book) or Secrets of Stretching by Thomas Kurz. That's where I got all my information from. You really will not find a more qualified authority or extensive resource on the science of stretching."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.