UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Landlord wants personal info??

7/7/12 2:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
neongreenlights
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Background:
I and the wife have been living in our apartment for a little over a year and re-signed our lease through April next year. A company has bought the apartment complex that we live in from our original ownership and has requested a meeting with each tenant. The tenants (wife and I included)are asked to bring the following:

Social Security Card
Birth Certificate
Copy of this year's taxes filed
Payroll stub

So here is the problem:
1. We feel that this information shouldn't be given out to anyone except those who typically are legally responsible for sensitive and personal information. We don't know this company, landlord, management, etc. seems odd that they would even ask this.
2. We want to have a good relationship, how can I deny giving this info. without pissing them off.

Thank you
7/7/12 6:43 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Since you're already on a lease you shouldn't need to give them anything with the asterisk that it depends on what the terms of your lease are. If it doesn't say anything about additional info you're good. Next year if you want to renew your lease that changes.

2. Be respectful, but realistically they're going to flag you.

Imho, it sounds like your new landlord wants to do some blockbusting and try to go higher market with your complex.
7/9/12 4:13 AM
WikiTheWalrus
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with jbapk on all three points.

If I were in this situation I would go to the meeting, but not furnish anything if my lease didn't require me to do so. I would politely tell them that the terms of the lease do not require me to do what they want and I prefer to keep my information on a strictly need to know basis.
8/26/12 11:39 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they obviously want to run your credit and criminal history and make it easier to send you to collections if you skip out or dont pay rent. any landlord with half a brain will do this to qualify his tenants and its not at all an odd request. if you rent from any professionally managed building, you will always have to provide this kind of info on a rental application.

depending on the terms of your current lease, you probably dont have to provide any info now, but they can certainly choose not to renew your lease if you don't provide it in the future.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.