Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OntheRise7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/07/12 11:57 AM

Is krav maga applicable in Muay thai? Aside from illegal moves of course
7/8/12 4:45 PM
Khun Kao
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In what sense?
7/9/12 1:29 AM
OntheRise7

The ppunches knees etc. Would the ways to defend myself be very different?
7/9/12 7:54 AM
Khun Kao
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/09/12 7:54 AM
Almost everything would be different. Krav Maga is a straight-up self defense system. Muay Thai is a sport. Apart from the fact that they use many of the same weapons (punches, kicks, elbows, and knees), they have very little in common.

If you're asking from the perspective of someone who trains Krav Maga that is interesting in competing in Muay Thai, it really will not translate at all. Krav Maga training may serve you well in low-level amateur fights, but once you start going against fighters with talent, not so much.

There are probably principles in Krav Maga that will translate over to Muay Thai, though not the techniques so much. I'm not familiar enough with Krav Maga to suggest what they may be other than "blanket statements" that pretty much apply to all martial arts.
8/3/12 8:14 PM
CWH
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I first started training in Muay Thai, I had a hard time breaking hold habits from my prior Kenpo training. Punches, kicks, blocks...technique and delivery so different that I couldn't use any of the Kenpo. I had to re-program.

If you're going to train Muay Thai, train Muay Thai.
8/10/12 9:20 PM
BudmademeWeiser
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wondering, how do you guys view krav Maga as a self defense system as a whole? A new martial arts gym opened up close by and I was considering looking into this. Any ideas on its effectiveness compared to other self defense systems? Phone Post
8/11/12 12:21 PM
Bryan72
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Krav = Great marketing. Phone Post
8/11/12 9:05 PM
Ringworm74
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What ^^^ said Phone Post
8/15/12 10:24 PM
HEMAN
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BudmademeWeiser -  Just wondering, how do you guys view krav Maga as a self defense system as a whole? A new martial arts gym opened up close by and I was considering looking into this. Any ideas on its effectiveness compared to other self defense systems? Phone Post

I've attended a few classes in Herndon, VA for Krav. It's quite expensive. It's rapid fire strikes. Short burst of striking while clinched etc...practical against a mugger/rapist etc...against a descent athlete/striker/grappler...not so much.
8/31/12 6:24 PM
jrrrrr
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done some MT within JKD and have done Krav Maga.
Krav is supposed to be strictly a cqc system...i.e. take out the threat quickly and viciously. You target throat, nose, eyes, groin, etc.
MT can be a great conditioning tool and way to develop "fighting spirit" while practicing KM. KM will not develop MT skill though.
As stated above, want to develop MT skill..train MT...
10/14/12 2:00 PM
Ninja mon

I went to a Krav Maga school last year(not my first school) A lot of the senior students had attitude/bad energy. I wanted to train there but I didn't like the vibe. I'm glad I train at a great Muay Thai school though hell yeah!
12/9/12 9:40 AM
FistofLegends

Muay Thai is a sport.

Krav Maga is a fighting method/self defence system for the streets.

They are very different and very complimentary systems if your focus is NOT for kickboxing sports fights.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.