UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Religious jewelry

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/7/12 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RoidsGracie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any thoughts on people who wear crosses and the like in public? Personally I find it incredibly tacky; especially when it's of the "bling bling" variety. I'd even go so far to say that it's almost blasphemous in a way to be walking around with some 24k gold cross. Now, stuff like Fedor's wooden cross necklace...I don't really have much of an issue with.
7/10/12 7:34 AM
PastorJosh

You do raise a good point. We know what it's supposed to symbolize but we must remember that it was an instrument of death. Would we walk around with an electric chair in 24k gold? A lethal injection needle?

This gives way to a recent thought I had about the "commercialization of Christianity." Phone Post
7/10/12 3:51 PM
reverend john
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good thoughts pastor, though the cross has been a symbol of Christianity for years, the first symbol was actually the ichthus. The symbol of a fish was so important to them. Fishing was a humble job. Jesus told the fishermen they would catch man instead of fish. Jesus multiplied the fish.

The cross became more important of a symbol as time went on, it would be difficult to look at it as a symbol of Christianity while people were still being killed on them for treason on a regular basis.

rev
7/10/12 10:06 PM
Grakman

How about a tattoo of a cross? Or of Jesus himself, say on an arm or on the back?
7/10/12 11:49 PM
RoidsGracie

I don't suppose anyone else thinks it's completely bizarre when the cross - which is supposed to represent self-sacrifice and denial of the world - gets blinged up gold and jewel which represents material wealth and the opulent life.
7/11/12 12:55 AM
reverend john
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah don't understand the bling thing. As for cross tattoos I have a large one on my leg

Rev Phone Post
7/11/12 12:58 AM
PastorJosh

reverend john - good thoughts pastor, though the cross has been a symbol of Christianity for years, the first symbol was actually the ichthus. The symbol of a fish was so important to them. Fishing was a humble job. Jesus told the fishermen they would catch man instead of fish. Jesus multiplied the fish.

The cross became more important of a symbol as time went on, it would be difficult to look at it as a symbol of Christianity while people were still being killed on them for treason on a regular basis.

rev
...my point still remains. The cross became something other than it was meant to become. I believe with all my heart that the cross is not the "symbol" of Christianity. The empty tomb is. Phone Post
7/11/12 9:21 AM
reverend john

Fair enough I was not at all saying your point was wrong.

Rev Phone Post
7/12/12 3:03 PM
Ridgeback
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - good thoughts pastor, though the cross has been a symbol of Christianity for years, the first symbol was actually the ichthus. The symbol of a fish was so important to them. Fishing was a humble job. Jesus told the fishermen they would catch man instead of fish. Jesus multiplied the fish.

rev

Tertullian wrote in 204 AD that Christians were already making the sign of the cross on their foreheads.  It was adopted as a symbol very early and certainly long before crucifixion ceased to be a means of execution.
7/12/12 3:22 PM
reverend john

I stand corrected

but it was still the ichthus that was the first symbol

rev
7/12/12 3:36 PM
Grakman

Isn't using the cross as a symbol of salvation and hope in keeping with the Christian worldview of turning everything on it's head - the first shall be last, the last shall be first, etc?

It makes sense to me that, just like the crucifixion itself was used not only as a means of execution, but intended to debase and humiliate the victim, that the early Christians would have seen fit to raise the instrument of torture and execution upon which the Savior was killed as a symbol. It's like saying 'No matter what you do to us, you cannot stamp out the Son of God.' It's sort of like waving their failure in their face - they though the cross was the end of Jesus but instead it became the means to victory.
7/12/12 5:02 PM
reverend john

of course, and the fact that the gospels tell us we are to actually accept the cross and follow Christ. The cross is biblically a symbol of our discipleship, as well as our salvation

rev

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.