UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Karate Kicked My Ass

7/7/12 9:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KimuraKing
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I moved to Tokyo 7 months ago and recently found a great Shotokan Dojo a 5 minute walk from our house. I've been training most of my adult life in BJJ/ Grappling and Muay Thai but had to take the first 7 months off here to get set up financially before I could start training again.
In 2011 I had a couple of Ammy MMA matches and medaled on a provincial Muay Thai tournament.

Last Monday I had my 1st Shotokan class and I have been walking like an 80 year old man for the entire week and have needed to visit a sports massage clinic twice to let me be able to sleep without my back and legs feeling like they were on fire.

Much respect to Karatekas.

Karate kicked my ass.
7/8/12 12:28 PM
cdueck
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People don't give good traditional Karate enough credit. The problem is it is hard to find good Karate anymore because that doesn't pay the bills.  
7/18/12 1:48 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets here a detailed breakdown of the class? How was it structured?
7/19/12 6:13 AM
KimuraKing

It was an hour and a half. First 10 minutes was stretching followed by about 60 minutes of technique training. Punches and kicks up and down the Dojo.

Last 20 I had to do everything with a black belt correcting me while the rest of the class did Kata.

The lowest belt in the class (besides my pearly white) was a blue belt. Mostly brown and black belts and it was a fully adult class. No kids.

On my way to class right now! I'm hoping that I can do some kumite competitions in the winter!

Osss!
8/18/12 6:21 PM
BeerMuscles

How do you like Shotokan so far, especially compared to the other MA's you have taken?
8/28/12 6:54 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/28/12 7:38 PM
KimuraKing

BeerMuscles - How do you like Shotokan so far, especially compared to the other MA's you have taken?

That's a great question.

First of all the training philosophy is completely different from Kickboxing and BJJ. Perfection of technique is supposed to automatically grant power and it's not a given that you will someday use the techniques in competition or for self defense.

Competence and skill are secondary to promotion especially here in Japan.

Comparing it to other Martial arts isn't fair to any of the systems but I can tell you what I can see myself taking from Shotokan to put in my tool box.

The range is totally different from MT and the movement is primary straight in and out. I always found myself countering or feeling like I was chasing somebody in MT and I think being able to attack from a much longer range will really help my stand up game.

Learning to kick using the ball of the foot is great! It's like hitting something withh a hammer as opposed to the baseball bat effect of the MT round kick.

The physical conditioning is great. I forgot how deep stances condition your legs and core!

Sweeps. The techniques I want to perfect more than anything are the standing kicks and trips of Shotokan. My view on fighting personally is more "keep it standing" these days and I think that if I can disrupt an opponents balance plant them in front of me and punch and kick down on them it's all good in the hood. Lol

Hope this answers your question somewhat.

Oh, and I do think that a guy with 6 months BJJ training would eat a Karate Blackbelts lunch if they had no Ne-Waza experience.

Peace!
12/20/12 7:51 AM
KimuraKing

Got my blue belt tonight.

Definitely my best souvenir since I've been living in Japan.
12/25/12 9:12 PM
Bloodstorm

Edited: 12/25/12 9:39 PM
Congrats man. Karate is a great striking art if you are learning it from a good school/dojo. Being able to blitz or attack from outside kicking range always throws off people who just kickbox. I love the standing sweeps/trips from shodakan. I get them off in MMA a lot.Thanks for sharing man please keep us updated good bad whatever. I want to train at a good karate dojo in japan for a few months.Im a long time american style karate guy by the way
12/25/12 9:38 PM
Bloodstorm

Just thought I would share one of my fav shotoakan highlights. Elwyn Hall from the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SliCHOa-PIQ&list=FLfPLrFmmHDKbmcZxVvDP-uA
1/4/13 6:06 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another Shotokan clip
this is targeted for more "serious" students

Blue, please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzX7dUDDfM

1/4/13 7:13 PM
cdueck
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just went back to Kyokushin after a two year layoff, it was nice cause we eased back in after Christmas with 90 minutes of basics. I'm not sure who suggested to my Shihan that 90 mins of basics was easing back in but they were sorely mistaken.

1/6/13 7:48 PM
KimuraKing

That Elwyn Hall HL is amazing.

Kyokushin looks crazy. I've done a lot of Muay Thai and have taken some good shots but the conditioning in Kyokushin is intense. Definitely not for people who avoid contact.
1/7/13 4:07 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

1/7/13 7:21 PM
cdueck

I don't believe Kyokushin is anymore hard core than any other truly traditonal Karate. Keep in mind that the clips we watch on youtube are of the best, not the 39 year old family men like me. It sure is fun though!

1/16/13 5:07 PM
Kolsyrade
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bloodstorm - Just thought I would share one of my fav shotoakan highlights. Elwyn Hall from the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SliCHOa-PIQ&list=FLfPLrFmmHDKbmcZxVvDP-uA

1/16/13 5:07 PM
Kolsyrade
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sajite - Another Shotokan clip
this is targeted for more "serious" students

Blue, please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAzX7dUDDfM

1/16/13 5:10 PM
Kolsyrade

Edited: 01/16/13 5:13 PM
cdueck - 

I don't believe Kyokushin is anymore hard core than any other truly traditonal Karate. Keep in mind that the clips we watch on youtube are of the best, not the 39 year old family men like me. It sure is fun though!

1/16/13 5:19 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Kols
1/16/13 5:21 PM
Kolsyrade

Sajite - Thanks Kols

NP. Better late than never.

1/17/13 11:10 AM
cdueck

Kolsyrade, 

What orginization are you with? I love all the vids.....Thanks

1/17/13 1:49 PM
Kolsyrade

cdueck - 

Kolsyrade, 

There is a reason I made that "This is shin-kyokushin karate" vid and not a "This is kyokushin-kan karate" or "This is kyokushin (IKO1 Matsui-ha) karate" vid :-)

1/28/13 12:32 PM
Ogami Itto
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome thread.
1/28/13 12:41 PM
cdueck

Kolsyrade - 
cdueck - 

Kolsyrade, 

There is a reason I made that "This is shin-kyokushin karate" vid and not a "This is kyokushin-kan karate" or "This is kyokushin (IKO1 Matsui-ha) karate" vid :-)

Sorry I just enjoyed the vids and never really paid attention to the rest.

How long have you been training?

3/7/13 3:28 PM
e. kaye

Old school Shodan checking in.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.