UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Best fighter to model yourself after?

8/23/12 2:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WillyMaunawili
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopkins and Tito Trinidad are two guys I've always admired for their skill and fundamentally based styles. Phone Post
8/23/12 6:34 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread, i've been travelling loads and lost track of a few things!

Following on from Martin's point about only copying techniques but not whole styles, what techniques would you choose from what fights?

And yes i know this is all hypothetical and a listening to a real trainers input is probably best. :)
8/23/12 11:46 AM
buddie
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/23/12 1:37 PM
Here is my thought. If you are a competitive fighter, you should be watching a lot of video.

Part of having a mental picture of how to execute something or how to deal with a potential problem is to visualize it. So you watch video of people who do what you need to do, but do it really well. You visualize that it is you doing it and, after a while, it can make a believer out of you.

Fighters are going to emulate their heroes - period. Even Emanuel Steward (post Lewis vs Tyson) said he'd always get 6'4 heavyweights who wanted to fight like Tyson.

After a while you develop your own style, you find what works for you. You experiment, you get more and more comfortable and you become yourself. But until you know what the hell you are doing, copy someone who does.
8/23/12 1:24 PM
martinburke
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching lots of videos is an enormous advantage. Try things and see if they fit.

You can see how different fighters use the same punch or technique for distinct purposes. For example, Ali used his jab not to hurt guys, but to continually knock them off-balance and to disrupt their rhythm.

Sonny Liston tried to pound the other guy with his jab and create distance.

You can see how Joe Louis would change speeds on his jab, how he would use it to lift the opponent's head for a right hand. And you can see how by never reaching with the jab, Louis was able to fire combinations off of it like a human threshing machine.

Watch how Joe Frazier plants his left foot when he hooks, and notice how Joe Louis keeps his RIGHT foot planted when he hooks. Try both. See what suits you.

8/23/12 6:19 PM
WillyMaunawili
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome Martin Phone Post
8/25/12 3:32 AM
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good couple of posts right there, thanks.
8/29/12 10:57 PM
nat turner
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THat depends on a lot of your natural abilities . Whether you can take a decent punch ,whether you have tough skin , good reflexes basically all the things you can't really teach.
Personally i would model myself after my #1 fighter of all time Julio Cesar Chevez.
He had good punching power ,but incredible stamina and the ability to maintain i high rate of punching with that amount of power. His body punching was second to none ,tough chin ,skin tough as any in history. The biggest misconception about Chavez was that he was a pure brawler ,which is not true. He could box very well as was the case when he went up against his old training partner ,very good friend and almost mirror image Jose Luis ramirez .
I just loved how chavez worked that body early and went to the head later on once he felt the opponent was wilting and losing his foot speed.

If pacman wants to know how to beat Floydd ,tell him to grab a tape of Chavez v Mayweather's Uncle Roger! Chavez would have tore Pretty boy a new one i would put my house on that.
8/30/12 5:10 PM
buddie
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it is just good for guys to watch a lot of fights, watch sparring, read about boxing, shadow box so much you do it in your sleep. Eat, drink, sleep boxing.

I love boxing in all weight classes when it is well done. I have watched fights and I have seen something and all the sudden its like a light comes on. I understand a set up better, or a wrinkle, a twist whatever. It helps you to mentally visualize which is so critical.
8/30/12 9:23 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/30/12 9:26 PM
nat turner - The biggest misconception about Chavez was that he was a pure brawler ,which is not true. He could box very well as was the case when he went up against his old training partner ,very good friend and almost mirror image Jose Luis ramirez .

He was not without some defensive skills. Kind of underrated in that area, probably due to his offense being so good.

9/7/12 3:52 AM
Blue Mercury

Hagler the G.O.A.T
7/5/14 12:40 AM
Ilikebjj
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

back from the dead
7/6/14 10:47 AM
martinburke
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/06/14 9:05 PM
7/6/14 7:40 PM
bricht07

Andre ward Phone Post 3.0
7/7/14 1:46 PM
buddie

Bucky Boyd
7/9/14 2:37 AM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bucky Boyd is very impressive watch with his technical prowess. I spoke to Nacho Bernstein recently and he told me that Bucky is reverently referred to throughout Mexico as "WVCB" (apparently short for West Virginia Charley Burley) due to his vast similarities to the former welterweight and middleweight great.

All bullshit aside, a good point to start is to simply watch a handful of greats and try to figure out what made them special. See if you pick up on a couple of the moves that Henry Armstrong liked to use when fighting inside or try to figure out what techniques were employed by guys like Gene Tunney or Ezzard Charles to keep a fight at range. Personally, I am a huge fan of watching videos on Joe Louis. Absent perhaps his lack of head movement, damn near everything that Louis did was text book perfect. Phone Post 3.0
7/9/14 9:59 AM
martinburke

Chappie, what do you think of this?

http://fightsgoneby.blogspot.com/2012/07/examining-joe-louis-blackburn-crouch.html

7/15/14 4:52 PM
Chappie
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/14 9:49 PM
Martin, sorry for belated response, I just saw your post and got a chance to read the article that you provided a link to. I disagree with a number of the assertions made by the author of the subject article. First, although I am a huge fan of Jack Blackburn's as evidenced by the name that I post under on here, however, I don't think that Blackburn played much of role on the careers of either SSR or Joe Walcott nor do I believe that Louis, Robinson and Walcott fought out of the same boxing stance. The story of Jack Blackburn dropping Walcott as a pupil for the Brown Bomber is commonly repeated tale in boxing lore, but it omits from consideration the fact that Blackburn only trained Walcott for a very short period of time or of the greater influence that Felix Bocchicchio and other had on Jersey Joe's career. If anyone is responsible for Walcott's unique style other than Walcott himself, it would be Felix Bocchicchio, not Jack Blackburn.
7/16/14 9:20 AM
jw234
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willie Pep! Phone Post
7/21/14 1:34 AM
boxing wiz
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martinburke - You shouldn't model yourself after any fighter at first. Practice your fundamentals and let your natural assets and liabilities dictate what your style will be.

By all means, copy particular moves from fighters, but don't try to shoehorn yourself into another person's style.

For example, Dwight Qawi was a 5'6 light heavy with short arms...so of course he was a swarmer, right?

Wrong, he was a counter puncher. He'd get those taller guys to lead and wreck 'em.

Keep your weight centered or slightly back, never square up, make him have to deal with your jab...and your style will emerge all on its own.

I so agree here. I always get made when Trainers try to make fighters fight their(trainers) way. Bernard Hopkins never had the quickness of hands or feet to box like Michael Nunn or Roy Jones. Hopkins also lacked the huge bomb to stalk guys like McClellen or Tommy Hearns. He tightened up his fundamentals and made guys pay for mistakes. If mistakes weren't being made, Bernard knew how to put pressure or roughen things up to force the mistakes.

Mike Tyson was one of the fastest heavyweights ever, and though he had great power, his power was slightly overrated. His speed was what enabled him to land the shots, which came from odd angles. Mike was also very short for a heavyweight. Though he was lightning fast and as technical as almost any heavyweight, he wasn't ever going to box on the outside like Ali or even Larry Donald. So Mike was trained to use his speed to get inside where he would be able to use the closed distance to his advantage.

Now some fighters never learn to use the style they are best physically built for. Diego Corrales was extremely tall for his weights. But he never used his height or tried to box outside. He went in every fight looking to kill or be killed. He did other world power. There are few fighters that ever had power like him. He had a killers mentality, and fought with his heart.

So you are so right about knowing what your strengths/style is.
7/25/14 9:03 PM
Chappie

martinburke - Chappie, what do you think of this?

http://fightsgoneby.blogspot.com/2012/07/examining-joe-louis-blackburn-crouch.html

...In relationship to Robinson, I think that any assertion that Blackburn played a major role in Robinson's style would be greatly misplaced. To the best of my knowledge, Blackburn never played any active role in training SRR. While both Robinson and Louis employed a similar stance in that both guys kept their heads slightly off center and to the right, Robinson continually kept his left hand down by his waist and his right hand close to his chin whereas Louis tended to keep his lead hand higher and right hand open and in front of his chin. Also, Robinson seemed to create the majority of his offensive attacks through the use of quick feet and lateral movement whereas Louis liked to set his attacks through the use of feints and actions designed to turn and move fighters out of position.

Perhaps the biggest issue that I have with the article as a whole though, is the author's central assertion that Louis fought out of a crouch position. If you look at Louis' stance, you will see that Louis bent at his rear hip to the right and kept his chest held high in order to maintain good balance and keep himself in an offensively oriented position. Perhaps I am simply being far too anal in evaluation of that article, but when I think of fighters who fight out of a "crouch," I think of guys like Dempsey, Marciano or Frazier who either leaned forward or who tried to kept their head lower than that of their opponent's. One last complaint and than I am done, I would also like to hit the author of that article with a body shot for citing to Louis' fight with Nathan Mann as being illustrative of Louis technical brilliance. I have always felt that Louis' fights against Mann, Conn and Galento were probably the worst fights of his professional career. I did dig the video, however, which was linked in the article which I have re-posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdWT3y6DH4w
7/25/14 9:33 PM
Chappie

Props to whoever made the highlight videos on Pep & Walcott which are linked below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9aEURJrgpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAJBr9G9MY
20 days ago
martinburke

http://youtu.be/nNeaZtXnkcc

Jose Napoles(white trunks) vs Adolph Pruitt

Here's how to dissect a world class fighter while staying completely relaxed in less than two rounds.
20 days ago
buddie

20 days ago
buddie

20 days ago
buddie

martinburke - http://youtu.be/nNeaZtXnkcc

Jose Napoles(white trunks) vs Adolph Pruitt

Here's how to dissect a world class fighter while staying completely relaxed in less than two rounds.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.