UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Renzo Gracie : Chael is one of the most humble...

7/9/12 2:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_the people's cecil
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/7/9/3147284/renzo-gracie-on-real-chael-sonnen-one-of-the-most-humble-guys-ive

"You have to understand, he is one of the most humble guys I've ever seen," Gracie said. "He understood, agreed and completely changed."

But what exactly did Gracie say? He simply reminded Sonnen of his priority.

"It's very easy to get lost when you start talking trash," he said. "It's very easy to get lost of the real focus. So, in reality, I didn’t call to tell him to chill. I called to show the goal that he should be aiming for. He’s a great kid, he listened and showed that he can be an unbelievable professional when he needs to."

Gracie acknowledged the role of Sonnen's comments in his rise as an MMA phenomenon, noting that "if he didn't talk that much, the fight wouldn't have happened," saying it's a difficult balance to strike when it comes to marketing a fight and preparing for the actual physical combat. And in his view, Sonnen tipped too far to the former. In fact, Gracie regretted not calling him much earlier in the fight camp to offer the same advice.

7/10/12 3:59 AM
UGCTT_David_MMAmet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have much more respect for Chael Sonnen than I ever thought I would pre Silva/Sonnen 1. This coming from an Anderson fan. Phone Post
7/10/12 4:04 AM
garrote
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
7/10/12 4:14 AM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael's antics made Silva a lot of money.

End of thread.
7/10/12 8:19 AM
Fabes
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I agree with all of you.

Re-ends thread.
7/10/12 9:13 AM
goku

T Phone Post
7/10/12 10:07 AM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

I 100% believe Sonnen-Silva were trolling us all to sell the fight

Much like Jerry the King and Kaufman Phone Post
7/10/12 10:07 AM
Winston Wolf

Chris Leben is a Zombie - I 100% believe Sonnen-Silva were trolling us all to sell the fight

7/10/12 10:52 AM
GeoDim

Chris Leben is a Zombie -  I 100% believe Sonnen-Silva were trolling us all to sell the fight

It seems like they were at the end, especially with Silva's comments on the conference call, but I don't think Silva was in on it the whole time.
7/10/12 10:54 AM
GeoDim

GeoDim - 
Chris Leben is a Zombie -  I 100% believe Sonnen-Silva were trolling us all to sell the fight

It seems like they were at the end, especially with Silva's comments on the conference call, but I don't think Silva was in on it the whole time.

7/10/12 11:05 AM
NKTKDace
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GeoDim -

I agree with you. Silva knew once it was over that Chael would be cool so I'm sure he knew to take that road and not come off as some sore winner. Phone Post
7/10/12 12:37 PM
mmavixen
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone that's been lucky enough to have a conversation with Chael or some kind of interaction with him knows he's a great guy.  

Munoz was just on the MMA Hour and said Chael offered him financial assistance when he was injured.  Munoz said he was very impressed by that.

Anyone who thinks Chael actually beleived the stuff he was saying is a complete moron. Basically, he sold the fight.
7/10/12 2:47 PM
StratTone
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I never hear to much and don't think people think about is the fact that someone may think it is a character flaw to put someone down (even faking it) for finacial gain. I know some hug Chael, some hate, but here are some that just don't like the fact that Chael "hyped" a fight at someone else's expense. I'm sure many here would not be laughing if someone in your workplace jumped ahead in the ranks by bashing you constantly. Would you then say when he was above your pay scale that he just did what he had to do to get to the top? I realize we are talking about an entertainment industry but I'm pretty sure one person who didn't think it was funny was Silva.
7/10/12 3:10 PM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StratTone - One thing I never hear to much and don't think people think about is the fact that someone may think it is a character flaw to put someone down (even faking it) for finacial gain. I know some hug Chael, some hate, but here are some that just don't like the fact that Chael "hyped" a fight at someone else's expense. I'm sure many here would not be laughing if someone in your workplace jumped ahead in the ranks by bashing you constantly. Would you then say when he was above your pay scale that he just did what he had to do to get to the top? I realize we are talking about an entertainment industry but I'm pretty sure one person who didn't think it was funny was Silva.

Except at the end of the day, it got Silva tons of Brazil fans, a huge fight, reinvigorated interest in his career after a series of embarassing fights (remember the shit leading up ot Silva-Sonnen I), and an asston in PPV%.

So not exactly at his expense, beyond trashy words. Which were repaid in kind with blood - sooo iunno, AS kinda came out on top lol
7/10/12 3:12 PM
Jack Skellington
709 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is hard to read sometimes

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.