UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> How do I tell if class action check is legit?

7/10/12 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kung_pow
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently received a class action settlement check from a law group that threatened to sue my old employer for alleged ERISA violations.

I did not sign up to be part of the class, however the letter did reference my old employer and seemed to be real, so I was wondering, how do I verify that the settlement and the check is legitimate so I know it is a real check and safe to deposit?

I know there are cons where the person deposits the check which provides the issuer with information such as who deposited the check along with the bank and account# it was deposited to.

Thanks in advance.
7/10/12 1:50 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.ehow.com/how_2313577_tell-check-fake.html

Basically take it to your bank branch and have them check the routing number and call the bank that issued the check to make sure it's real.
7/10/12 7:15 PM
kung_pow
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I already took it to the bank. They verified the account for which the check was written from is real, but they could not verify the funds in the account. When speaking with the bank manager he said that it looks real, but by depositing the check you are verifying your name, address (because they know by the check# who they mailed it to and it was recieved), as well as your signature by endorsing the check, and the bank account# used to deposit the check.

So even through the bank manager said it was real, it is still important to know the source is legit.
I looked on the ehow site previously and other than the one site that you have to register on, it didn't have definitive information.
7/14/12 3:02 AM
WikiTheWalrus
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does it smell like money? If it smells like money, it must be real money.
7/15/12 10:34 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just google the case name and find the law firm representing the class members. call the law firm and ask if the check is legit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.