UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> Showdown Joe: 10-8 for Chael?

7/10/12 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Havent been on here for a while and not sure if Showdown still posts here but tonight on Connected he said R1 for Chael was arguably a 10-8 round.

Wondering if that was his opinion or if someone else writes the report/script or was perhaps said for controversy to get guys like me to start a thread about it.

Just makes me wanna listen less though, Joe.

How on earth could that have been a 10-8 without any significant damage or submission attempts?
7/10/12 8:26 AM
Massa
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/10/12 8:26 AM
Unified Rules under scoring:

A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html

7/10/12 9:12 AM
Phil999
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See that happening often without rounds being judged 10-8. It only seems to be scored when there is also significant damage.
7/10/12 10:07 AM
RKing85
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ben Askren is about the only guy I have seen score that first round a 10-8.

I personally wouldn't go anywhere near a 10-8 round on that one.
7/10/12 12:03 PM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If shogun vs hendo R5 wasn't 10-8 then no chance that was Phone Post
7/10/12 1:42 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Massa - Unified Rules under scoring:

A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

http://www.abcboxing.com/unified_mma_rules.html

That still leaves loads of ambiguity and interpretation.

Let me ask you this: has a round in the UFC EVER been scored 10-8 from positional dominance alone without any significant GNP or without a single submission attempt or "catch?"

Its not like Chael had the back and was working for the RNC all round.

There is absolutely no precedent for this in the UFC.

Further, though i think the action was rightfully able to continue on the ground, i think the prececent is closer to have standing Chael back up for "inactivity."

There have been more cases of guys being stood up without having the whole round to work for mount and without GNPing away like chael did first fight.

And as pointed out, Shogun had mount and near fight ending GNP in R5 on Hendo and he wasnt given a 10-8....that should have been no mater what the judges say but simply having top control without GNP or sub attempts has never been a 10-8.

If Showdown said this for controversy or was just reading his script, whatever its just another black mark for "MMA journalism" imo.
7/10/12 4:56 PM
Hardstaff

10-8......gimme a break, In pride that would of been stalling.
7/11/12 2:30 PM
Wasa-B

actually, anderson would have been yellow carded for stalling by pride rules
7/11/12 4:55 PM
Hardstaff

Well I cant argue that either, but Chael was just holding the position and not trying to finish.
7/11/12 9:41 PM
Dougie
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/11/12 9:41 PM
 As much as I thought Chael has won 5 out of 7 rounds between the two. Anderson won them when it counted.

/end 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.