UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Getting White Mats = Buyer's Remorse?

7/10/12 6:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the look of white mats, ie. Mendes academy.

I will be opening up a small academy next month, and bought Dollamur Flexi-Roll White mats.

(They usually dont have that color in stock, but they had it on hand, since the Mendes academy made a big order- Thanks RVCA and Mendes Bros!)

Anyways, does anyone know if these will be extremely hard to keep clean?

(I'm already going to make sure anyone with color gi's wash it at least once before rolling with them).
7/10/12 6:24 PM
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - I love the look of white mats, ie. Mendes academy.

I will be opening up a small academy next month, and bought Dollamur Flexi-Roll White mats.

(They usually dont have that color in stock, but they had it on hand, since the Mendes academy made a big order- Thanks RVCA and Mendes Bros!)

Anyways, does anyone know if these will be extremely hard to keep clean?

(I'm already going to make sure anyone with color gi's wash it at least once before rolling with them).
I'd contact Mendez bros or anyone you know who have them. I'm sure they would happily tell you their experience. Phone Post
7/10/12 6:37 PM
pcuzz
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt if color gi's would really do anything to the mats. Wrestling shoes might so if you allow those you might take that into consideration. Direct sunlight might cause them to yellow.
7/10/12 6:49 PM
T-Ham
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paint them red with the blood of your enemies.
7/10/12 6:53 PM
traneufcisback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh, they are probably the world's best overall mats. I'd be grateful with ANY color. Heck, make 'em pink and i'd still take them.
Your biggest concern will be smudgemarks from shoes.
7/10/12 7:08 PM
omoplautistic
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

traneufcisback - Meh, they are probably the world's best overall mats. I'd be grateful with ANY color. Heck, make 'em pink and i'd still take them.
Your biggest concern will be smudgemarks from shoes.
And hair.

You will see every little hair. And you will wonder why there is SO MUCH HAIR on the mats. Phone Post
7/10/12 7:16 PM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. My white mats have been a loooong time coming.

When I first saw white mats, it was a picture of Fabio Gurgel's old academy in Brazil.

I thought it was the silliest/strangest looking thing.

Then I slowly became obsessed with the look. I called up all the mat companies and they didnt supply it.

Then I saw Shoyoroll's studios with it, and I emailed Bear. He told me he had them custom made.

Then I saw another academy on facebook with them, and he said he had them custom made by Zebra and it took about 3 months to receive them.

I thought all hope was lost, and just decided to order grey mats (to make the academy look like the first RVCA gym).

Then, with the Mendes brothers academy opening up, and I noticed they were flexiroll mats, I decided to make one last ditch effort request, and ask Dollamur.

My 3+ year mat obsession will hopefully end in 2 weeks when I get them!
7/10/12 8:05 PM
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha Gurgel's mats is exactly what I thought of as soon as you mentioned white mats. Definitely different and obviously made an impact because we both remember those white mats of Gurgel's. Phone Post
7/10/12 9:02 PM
shen
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/11/12 5:52 PM

I've heard a few horror stories about people becoming acutely positionally disoriented when training on white mats, while in white gis, in a gym that is also painted white.

Some have even panicked and broken their necks on walls in a desperate attempt to try and re-orient themselves.

Be very careful.
7/10/12 10:30 PM
Tango_MF
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our academy currently has white mats with black mats in between.

The white is so hard to keep clean. Everything shows up - particularly the obscene amount of hair that omoplautistic mentioned.

If it's a smaller place and you sweep diligently it should be okay though. I'm sure it will look awesome. Good luck with the academy!
7/10/12 10:33 PM
pcuzz
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our old gym had mats taped together and the tape would catch all the hair..kind of disgusting
7/11/12 12:11 AM
dcvillain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kon, where are you opening the gym? next time your at marcelos, lets make sure to train together. Good luck with the gym!
7/11/12 12:19 AM
DarthChoke

It's a GOOD thing if the hair and dirt is noticeable!!!! It makes you aware of the filth and causes you (hopefully) clean it more.

I know my old house had carpet and new house has hardwood. The dirt can't hide on the hardwood floor, hence, I clean the floors 3X as much. Phone Post
7/11/12 12:38 AM
kying418

dcvillain - kon, where are you opening the gym? next time your at marcelos, lets make sure to train together. Good luck with the gym!

Thanks! I'm opening up a small place in Gainesville, FL- got the blessing of the bosses (Marcelo and his wife, Tatiana) to start an association here.

I will do my best to spread the Marcelo Garcia gospel to our town.

I'll definitely love to train with you next time I'm back up in NYC.

7/11/12 1:20 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kying, can you send me an email at raptorbjj@gmail.com? I have an issue that you may be in a unique position to assist me with. :) Phone Post
7/11/12 1:27 AM
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

congrats,keep them mats clean
7/11/12 2:31 AM
J. Manly
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie Fighter OC, Instructor
I had white mats in my gym and the did get somewhat stained but still looked good. The good news is you don't have to worry about that because the material used for the Dollamur mats is non-porous and what absorb stains like mine did. It will look great. Phone Post
7/11/12 3:03 AM
mad tiger
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont recommend any painted lines on Dollamur Mats. My yellow lines rub off on everyone's gis.
7/11/12 8:03 AM
ak 47
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where in Gainesville you gonna open at? I have family up there and would love to stop in some time to train.
7/11/12 9:55 AM
kying418

Edited: 07/11/12 9:55 AM
"ak 47 -  Where in Gainesville you gonna open at? I have family up there and would love to stop in some time to train."

I'll be located in NW (23rd Ave) Gainesville. Everyone is welcomed to come and train. I'm also friends with the owners of the two other BJJ/MMA academies in town. It's my hope that everyone can come together and get some great rolls in together!
7/11/12 10:01 AM
kying418

analpolypnamedjesse - Forget the color did you splurge and get the 2" mats? The 2" mats are awesome for judo too. We have the red/gray Dollamurs and we have the opposite problem. The red rubs off and stains white gis.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I got the 2" mats.

However, my academy will be really small to start off with- it only has about 550 sq feet of mat space...so not sure how much throwing will be involved (plus I suck at Judo haha)

Interestingly, when Marcelo first moved to NYC, we all trained at what is now known as Alliance NYC, which I believe has a similar sized mat space- we only had 4 pairs of people able to roll at one time (I think it is now 5, as they changed the mat configurations a bit).

So in my head, I always knew I had to keep my initial costs down by getting a small place, but as long as I could fit 4-5 pairs rolling, it would be sufficient (We sometimes had 30 people in Marcelo's classes, with people taking breaks to roll).

I can't wait to share some pics with everyone once it gets finished next month.

Think of it as a mini-Mendes looking gym :)
7/11/12 10:05 AM
kying418

Oh another interesting fact, I waited years for Dollamur to finally come out with the Velcro connect system.

When they did, I was elated- I hated the notion of having to tape my mats together.

However, Chuck from Dollamur, actually told me that since my mats would be staying in place, it would kinda make more sense to get the velcro-less version.

Because, once I taped it (I opted for the matching white tape, not clear), the mat would be seamless, and if I wanted to clean, wet mop, etc, nothing would fall in between the cracks.

He said even with the velcro, the mat is not seamless and things will get in between...and it's mainly used as a great solution for mats that need to be moved on a regular basis.

I thought it was great advice, and it even saved me some $$ too.

7/11/12 10:18 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the new gym!
7/11/12 10:50 AM
Muay Tired
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do they make mats with a wood-grain pattern, so it looks like you're throwing someone on a hardwood dojo floor?
7/11/12 12:34 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/11/12 1:54 PM
Dude, that is awesome. I would love to stop by in visit but by the Lord's grace I will never have cause to approach Gainesville.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.