UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Elevate CPK level in blood.

7/12/12 7:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shortyjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Dr. is concerned that my CPK level is 500+

He wants me to lay off training for almost a month and have the tests re-done to make sure that it is just training induced rather than a degenerative muscle disease or something like it.

I think it is ridiculous.

Thoughts?
7/14/12 7:13 AM
WidespreadPanic

CPK is creatine-phospho-kinase, if my memory serves and it can be an indicator of breakdown of muscle.

BUT what many MDs fail to do is get a series of test, not just a single snapshot. 

My MD did ONE (1) cholesterol test and was alarmed it was so high. He scared the cr*p out of me and set my training back a lot. Turned out to be a combination of:
1. Lab error
2. Single test versus a series
3. I was on a high seafood diet at the time (eating a lot of cooked shrimp).

I went back in 2 months, emphasizing an Oatmeal and Olive Oil type diet and (mainly) went off the shrimp and my level was COMPLETELY NORMAL at 199. That A-hole!! He was normally a nice guy and good MD but NEVER EVER go by one result, and ALWAYS get a second opinion and do a PubMed search.
7/14/12 7:24 AM
WidespreadPanic

Here's a website that explains it. If you think you've had a heart attack, had chest pains, or have a history of the diseases mentioned then you might need to rule those out.

LINK
7/18/12 12:18 AM
DMSO

CK is hasn't been used to diagnose a heart attack for 10 years. High sensitivity troponins are for that. CK can be released from numerous tissues in the body, there are multiple iso-enzyme forms of it.

Why was he testing your CK in the first place?
Are you experiencing muscle weakness? Fatigue? Loss of motor tone?

That is not a routine lab test to run for a general well being health check up.
Taking a month of training and retesting is not going to 'diagnose' anything. Ask him to repeat, or do a better job screening for other problems. If he is worried about a myopathy, then go for a biopsy or nerve conduction study.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.