UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Network Admins, what tools to monitor servers.....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/12/12 10:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ghost of Retard
832 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What software do you use to monitor your network and Servers .

I've always used IPSentry but I'm looking for a change.
7/28/12 10:23 AM
peipie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old thread but the company I work at uses Nagios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagios
8/8/12 7:31 PM
G-S-D
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We use Nagios to monitor everything from our HPUX servers to our Linux web servers to our various Windows servers and Cisco and Foundary switches and routers. It is a pretty powerful tool and easy to customized.
8/14/12 1:54 PM
buckshot44
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nagios is great..
8/24/12 10:32 PM
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I guess I'm going against the flow here.  Nagios was always a pain in the ass to me for day to day stuff.  Maybe it's better now, but 3-4 years ago it was horrible.

Check out Zenoss or Cacti for great open source monitoring tools.  Also SolarWinds Orion is probably the most popular commercial product.
8/25/12 12:05 AM
G-S-D
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rfquinn -  Wow, I guess I'm going against the flow here.  Nagios was always a pain in the ass to me for day to day stuff.  Maybe it's better now, but 3-4 years ago it was horrible.

Check out Zenoss or Cacti for great open source monitoring tools.  Also SolarWinds Orion is probably the most popular commercial product.

Use Groundwork Open or Nagiosxi, all the manual configuring stuff and gui wrapper all done for you.
8/30/12 4:56 PM
ItsMillerTimeinDoBronx
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/31/12 10:38 AM
I use Cacti.

Its free and does a nice job of monitoring availability via ICMP and/or SNMP. However, it's a pretty powerful graphing tool as well.

http://www.cacti.net/
8/31/12 12:49 AM
devnull

Nagios for monitoring(you can use graphic gui like Centreon).

Cacti is more for graphing. Zenoss is good too but I find the UI counter-intuitive. People also like opennms to monitor networks.
9/3/12 10:32 PM
hiptosser

PRTG
9/5/12 1:53 AM
devnull

rfquinn -  Wow, I guess I'm going against the flow here.  Nagios was always a pain in the ass to me for day to day stuff.  Maybe it's better now, but 3-4 years ago it was horrible.

I looked at the Orion demo and it looks like a pretty much complete product. It looks awesome at the first view.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.