UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Do Khmer kickboxers hate Muay Thai?

7/12/12 1:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DARTHPAUL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time I watch a Muay Thai video I always see people who practice Cambodian arts trying to put down Thai fighters. There seems to be alot of jealousy and resentment towards Thai culture. I understand there is alot of Khmer influence in Thai culture but Thais have evolved what they learned from Khmers as much as the brazillians evolved what they learned from the Japanese (jiu-jitsu).
7/23/12 11:09 PM
Jaggernautico

think it has more to do with self esteem and trying to build back the sport and the people more than anything
7/24/12 8:30 AM
Khun Kao
1339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of the resentment is political, not just cultural. I no longer remember the specifics, but there was as movement to include kickboxing in the SEA Games under the name of SEA Boxing, since all the SE Asian countries have their own version kickboxing that shares its roots with Muay Thai. I'm not sure if or how they were going to adjust the rules, but Thailand refused and pissed everyone off.
7/26/12 12:55 AM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It actually is called only Muay minus the Thai for the SEA Games.
11/20/12 6:28 PM
JJJJJ

I used to train with a khmer trainer and he would always say the Thai stole it from the khmer. Phone Post
12/9/12 9:07 AM
FistofLegends

Its a cultural history thing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.