UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Some of the Geek books i have been reading.....

7/13/12 12:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Elastic Assassin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I have spent A LOT of time on the road recently. I have been on the road 80-90% of the time. That is a lot of time in airports, on planes and bored in hotel rooms. I travel with an Xbox but I have also been reading a lot.

Here is a partial list of what I have read over the last few months and my thoughts:

The Hunger Games series: well I read them because my son and wife did. My son loved them and I figured we could discuss the books when I got done. The first book was pretty well done. It ends abruptly but knowing I had the second book so no big deal. I can tell you this though it should have ended with two books. At the end of the first I was thinking Katniss was a bit cunty. By the end of the second I was praying for her death. If they ever make another book it should be the whole story from Peta’s perspective (like Ender’s Game). The third book was a total joke, a piece of mish mashed bullshit. Overall it was a decent very quick read.
7/13/12 12:53 AM
The Elastic Assassin
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Battle Royale: I have, of course, seen the movie and once I read the Hunger Games (thinking the whole time it was a more fleshed out Battle Royale, it is btw) I figured WTH. This is, in my opinion, a must read. Don't get me wrong its not very well written. It actually reads like a series of short stories (it wasn't). Many descriptive phrases are repeated and the author keeps bringing up the same points about characters (yes we get it he was the star shortstop in middle school...Jesus fuck let it go). With all that said having seen the movie I really wanted to get a better idea what the story was. Its an excellent story. The version of the book I got had an interview with the director of the movie and the author. The director intentionally left out the main nemesis in the book...the Government (sound familiar?). His reasoning was sound but it was such an integral part of the story. Read the book, it should be on your list.
7/13/12 12:54 AM
The Elastic Assassin

I am currently reading Wayne of Gotham by Tracy Hickman. It's a tale about Batman finding out his father may not have been the saint he thinks him to be. It appears to be set some time in the future (though, not canon) since both batman and the joker are older. The hard part for me is I just read Batman: Earth One and it covers some of the same subject matter, in very different ways. This is an extremely well written book. The story seems to reach a bit, but I'm not done so we'll see where some of it is going. It does touch on a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Retconing origins, Batman (the idea of him anyway) works because his parents' death was senseless, random a tragedy. Not some goddam conspiracy. Thomas Wayne has died for so many fucking reasons I've lost count. Its supposed to be an unsolvable crime, an itch that can't be scratched, a bill that cannot be paid. Hence you have a driven Batman. It's a good book so far but I'd wait for the paperback, $26 seems steep for 300 pages.

The book I have on deck is The Horus Heresy: Horus Rising. It's a Warhammer 40K book and the beginning of a series. It looks promising and I hope it doesn't suck.
7/13/12 12:56 AM
The Elastic Assassin

I have read other books but not in the geek genre per se.....

I am open to recommendations....please be sepcific and give a general idea/overview of youre reccomendation....

The Road and American Psycho are already on my list, but from what I've heard i am going to need to space those two out a bit lest i get severly depressed or go insane...
7/13/12 2:28 AM
dizz
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you liked Hunger Games and Battle Royale (or that genre), try The Long Walk, by Stephen King (written under the pen name Richard Bachmann when he was young)

Basically, 100 teenage boys set out on a walk. If they stop walking for more than 30 seconds, or fall below 4 MPH, they get a warning. After their third warning, they get shot in the head. The last boy alive wins.

It's pretty raw, but good.
7/13/12 7:14 AM
JoeHurley
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you like Battle Royale then you need to read the manga.  Not a book, but it covers some things not shown in the book or movie.

Friend of mine was reading Walking Dead: Rise fo the Governor which tells his story.  Seems like something interesting since I enjoy the comic.

I just finished book two of Game of Thrones.  Everyone is reading it, but it's damn good so I can see why.  I need to hurry up and start book three before someone I run into spoilers which i've been careful to avoid.

Been recommending people go back and read somne old school Piers Anthony books like Battle Circle, Bio of a Space Tyrant series and Incantations of Immortality series.  I'm in a rush right now, but will give explanations of them later on if someone else doesn't.

7/13/12 8:12 AM
None So Blind
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, Incarnations of Immortality, hadn't thought of that one in a while ;-)

Some really good ones (Death, Fate, and Evil) and some weak ones (War, Time, Nature), but an entertaining concept to be sure...
7/13/12 10:03 AM
None So Blind
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/13/12 10:04 AM
Excellent summary of Hunger Games, BTW - first was alright, second only slightly less so, and third was an abomination that should have resulted in the author getting her keyboards taken and fingers broken.

Yeah, I read it :-/ Wife read it, so I picked it up just to be able to chat with her about it. Happy to report that her opinion mirrored mine, she was genuinely angry when she got about halfway through the third one, noting "I can't believe I'm going to finish this crap just to know how it turns out."
7/24/12 12:50 AM
The Elastic Assassin

finished teh hickman batman book...good stuff.....really adds some cool ideas to teh batman mythos....they obviously won't be used...but some fresh ideas....

now reading the horous heresy series....i may be in trouble....thsi seems a bit addicting.....pretty fuckgin well written....has a good flow and is a pretty good introduction to the warhammer 40K world.....i know they change authors with every book so i hope there are no stinkers coming...
7/24/12 1:00 AM
Zenoplata
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a little more than halfway through the first Game of Thrones book. This is awesome, hopefully I can finish the series before the summer ends.

I read The Road, it kinda sucked to be honest, I was expecting something better.
7/24/12 3:42 AM
MarkRobinson
1215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Recommendation:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

7/24/12 10:05 AM
quidditch
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The wife and I just finished 'Ready Player One' and we both enjoyed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-A-Novel/dp/0307887448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343138690&sr=8-1&keywords=ready+player+one
7/24/12 1:28 PM
The Elastic Assassin

i see no one read the OP
7/24/12 2:05 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent review of Hunger Games, decent first book, absolute trash after that.

Ready Player One is a good suggestion. Not a perfect book, but a very good one that a nostalgic, geeky video game player would enjoy. Most of the action takes place in a virtual world that contains one reference after another to the games many of us grew up playing. Book gets a bit weak after the middle, I felt he should have done a bit more character building, and less game playing/showing, but still a good read.

My geek suggestion is Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future by Mike Resnik. It is a western set in space. Think Firefly, many years before Firefly came out. Santiago is the most wanted criminal in the galaxy, and bounty hunters are trying to get him. Book follows a bounty hunter who has a clue about Santiago's whereabouts. Cool characters, good world building, and an interesting story.
7/24/12 2:23 PM
Stickgrappler
1495 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would you want non-geek books, but can be called "MA geek" books?
7/24/12 2:45 PM
The Elastic Assassin

i'll take anythign i read like a fiend when i am on the road....and i'm on the road alot
7/24/12 2:48 PM
Stickgrappler
1495 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i will post something later... i have 15 mins window to post due to firewalls... so i want to prep my post with amazon links for you instead of posting real time and probably getting timed out
7/24/12 10:38 PM
QuadAces
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - Book follows a bounty hunter who has a clue about Santiago's whereabouts.
I knew he warn't no Shepherd...

7/24/12 11:50 PM
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

None So Blind - Wow, Incarnations of Immortality, hadn't thought of that one in a while ;-)

Some really good ones (Death, Fate, and Evil) and some weak ones (War, Time, Nature), but an entertaining concept to be sure...

Death and Evil were my favorites in that series as well. Very well thought out too seeing the different perspectives of some of the same encounters. While Death's position was an accident it was really cool seeing how the incarnation of evil come into being.

Good series
7/26/12 9:58 PM
Alger Hiss
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chabon's genre stuff is good.

Also check out Embedded by Dan Abnett.
7/28/12 5:00 PM
MrMead
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just about to read Wayne of Gotham after I finish The Map of Time. There was another superhero book type book that just came out when I bought Wayne but didn't get it. Looked pretty good, I'll get the title. Phone Post
10/23/12 1:31 PM
Stickgrappler

Oh woe is me... a mere 3 mos later...

For the GG lurkers, Elastic Assassin threatened to kill me when we were both on Facebook a few nights ago if I didn't follow-up on this thread

*** My reco's for Self-Defense (medium list, in no order) ***

1) Rory Miller - Meditations on Violence; Facing Violence - (FV has more practical advice, MOV is overall eye-opening for TMA types who think they train 'self-defense')

My #1 takeaway from MOV - 'Four Basic Truths of Violent Assault': Assaults happen closer, faster, more suddenly, and with more power than most people believe.

Both books are essential reading IMO on Self-Defense.

2) Sanford Strong - Strong on Defense -- ex-cop writes on self-defense, which includes vehicular safety as well as home safety.

My #1 takeaway from SOD - Strong's Four Rules of Survival:

1. React immediately
2. Resist
3. Avoid crime scene #2
4. Never give up

3) Gavin de Becker - The Gift of Fear -- geared more towards women, but men can benefit from it too

His main message is 'trust your intuition'. Sometimes you have a gut feeling or a hunch that something is wrong... most people ignore that feeling... de Becker includes stories of victims of violence who ignored their intuition.

4) Geoff Thompson - Dead or Alive - The Choice is Yours; Watch My Back; The Art of Fighting Without Fighting; The Fence -- a few more that I don't recall for now

WMB - is like an autobiography... Thompson used to be a doorman/bouncer... he was/is a TMAist but working as a doorman showed him the reality of violence and how fights actually go down

DOA - his basic system for self-defense which speaks about adrenaline dumps, fear, etc

TAOFWF is like a synthesis of a few of his previous books.

The Fence - he coined the term that the rest of the self-defense industry pretty much uses... it's a stance to get ready to fight BUT doesn't look like a fighting stance

4) Peyton Quinn - Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling; Real Fighting ... Quinn was the consultant for Patrick Swayze's Roadhouse; one of the first self-defense instructors who knew the realities of violence vs what was practiced as self-defense in the 'dojo'

BGTBB discusses amongst other things verbal encounters and why fights happen in a bar

My #1 takeaway - train self-defense via Adrenaline Stress Conditioning Through Scenario-Based Training -- cursing, shoving, "bulletman" suit, role-playing, etc

Coined the term "interview" that the rest of the industry uses -- when bad guys approach you and talk to you, they are 'interviewing' you to see if you will be an easy victim

5) Marc "Animal" MacYoung - another of the self-defense instructors who realized self-defense/violence is not the way it's taught in the 'dojos'... wrote many classics in the field... known for his first book, Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons; I liked these 2 more:

A Professional's Guide To Ending Violence Quickly;
Safe in the City

6) Kelly McCann - Combatives for Street Survival: Hard-Core Countermeasures for High-Risk Situations; Street Smarts, Firearms, and Personal Security (written under alias of Jim Grover)

7) Tony Blauer - Personal Defense Readiness manual -- one of the first self-defense instructors to teach the mental aspects of self-defense and dealing with fear

8) George Thompson, Ph. D. - Verbal Judo - former LEO who started teaching LEO's the value of verbal skills

9) Suzette Haden Elgin, Ph.D. - Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense ... not self-defense in the traditional sense, but violence sometimes arises out of verbal encounters

10) There are a few instructors who haven't published books, but has wrote stuff and posted on the net. My site has some of their articles up:

http://www.stickgrappler.net

Look for Craig Douglas aka SouthNarc's Managing Unknown Contacts and Lee Aldridge's - Handling Stranger Confrontations... also have other articles up by them... all worth a read IMO

If you only have time to read a little from this list, read:

- Craig Douglas and Lee Aldridge's 2 articles I mentioned
- Rory Miller's 2 books;
- Verbal Judo
- Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense

If you had more time check out the rest of my list.

I haven't written out my Long List of reco's, but hope this medium list helps. Sorry for the ramblings and brief writeups... did it during workday.

Enjoy, hope this helps and be safe!

10/23/12 1:54 PM
paw
1385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gift of Fear is excellent.  de Becker also wrote a book aimed at parents with small children entitled "Protecting the Gift".  I haven't read it, but skimmed through it.  Looked like another great book.

10/23/12 2:00 PM
Stickgrappler

That is one of the books on my To Read List. As a father of 3 (14, 11, 9) you would've thought I read it ages ago. But still haven't.

But thx paw, you mentioning it, bumped it up to be the next book I read when I have it in my hands.
10/23/12 3:11 PM
paw
1385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - That is one of the books on my To Read List. As a father of 3 (14, 11, 9) you would've thought I read it ages ago. But still haven't.

But thx paw, you mentioning it, bumped it up to be the next book I read when I have it in my hands.

You're welcome.

Ironically, when I skimmed through the book, there was something about "implied permission" (might not be the term de Becker used) where adults believe they have permission to do things to kids, like pat them on the head, etc.... because kids are kids.  This is particularly true with young girls.

A few minutes later, as I was taking the bus home, I saw a young mom with her daughter (probably 5 or so)...and sure enough, all the people around them wanted to pitch the girl's cheek, or pat her on the head or whatever.

Don't want to suggest that's always "wrong", but I vaguely recall de Becker's point was that the young girl and her mom have permission to tell folks not to do that (and that's not being rude or anti-social).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.