UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> (GIFS) ELBOWS SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!!

7/17/12 11:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - ttt for the crusade against the most abominable strike in combat sports.
The Crusade continues!!!!!!!!!!
7/17/12 11:18 PM
Haulport

DamnSevern - would have been the most epic elbow eva

Always reminds me of Tito Santana!
7/17/12 11:57 PM
CheckinHose
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - Jon Jones using his POINTY ELBOWS to cause an ILLEGAL stoppage against Vera:

Anderson Silva fighting dirty......... AGAIN!!!!

Lol tha wasn't illegal... His elbow against hamill was Phone Post
7/18/12 1:35 AM
TheBoognish

CheckinHose -
Haulport - Jon Jones using his POINTY ELBOWS to cause an ILLEGAL stoppage against Vera:

Anderson Silva fighting dirty......... AGAIN!!!!

Lol tha wasn't illegal... His elbow against hamill was Phone Post
Damn. People still falling for it? Really? Phone Post
7/18/12 2:09 AM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lend haulport your ears
7/18/12 9:50 PM
Haulport

DamnSevern -  

lend haulport your ears
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

But that's only like half an ear...I want both!!!!
7/19/12 11:21 AM
Haulport

Why are no Commission officials or Dr. Johnny Benjamin calling for the banning of all elbows yet?!?!?!?!?!?!

What are we doing wrong here????????
7/19/12 1:48 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gradytrain -  None of these gifs lead to cut stoppage. Shit half were knockouts! Thanks for the badass gifs! Let's bring back the kicks on the ground and knees to the head on the ground . OP is a pussy Phone Post

7/19/12 2:03 PM
DamnSevern
1209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/19/12 2:14 PM
BasBang
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SARCASM. How does it work?
7/19/12 2:16 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Best sarcastic thread ever!

LMFAO@ people still falling for ti after 7 pages.
7/19/12 2:25 PM
DamnSevern

BasBang - 
SARCASM. How does it work?

Understanding and Learning Sarcasm

Most of the time, when you say something sarcastic, the person that you're speaking to understands your intention. But how? Since they can't rely on the words for the message, listeners pick up on other cues. When we say something sarcastic, we often use a very specific tone of voice. Important elements of spoken sarcasm include intonation, or how you vary the pitch of your voice, and stress, or how you emphasize certain words.

When English speakers express sarcasm with the word "Thanks!", they often use a nasal tone. Some researchers say that this nasal tone shows a connection between sarcasm and extreme disgust, to the point where the speaker is "expelling something nauseating" and he or she wants to remove it not only from the mouth but also from the nose" [source: Haiman].

Sarcasts of all languages use what Haiman calls inverse pitch obtrusion. This occurs when the speaker pitches a stressed syllable lower than the other words in the sentence. Take our weather example from the last section:

Sincere:

Pitch: High

Great weather, huh?

Sarcastic:

Pitch: Low

Great weather, huh?

The pitch of the word "great" in this sentence changes depending on whether you're being sincere or sarcastic. A sarcast might also stress the word "great" heavily, to show that it's anything but great.

We also express sarcasm by elongating our words ("Well, excuuuuuse me!") or saying words that normally express excitement in a very flat or apathetic way, such as "Wow." or "Yay." Finally, we might express sarcasm by using a sing-song melody, such as in "sor-eeee!"

Even if you didn't pick up on any of these vocal cues, you might be able to tell when someone is being sarcastic by context. If you spend most of a conversation talking about how terrible your mother is at gift giving, and then end with "I just loved my birthday sweater," listeners will probably know that you didn't care for it at all. Finally, you can often tell a sarcast by his facial expression -- usually one of disgust, irritation or apathy.

Sarcasm exists in many languages other than English; in fact, speakers of many foreign languages even use the same types of indicators that we do in English. Haiman points to examples in Italian, German, Japanese and Mandarin.

So most adults can pick up on these cues to infer sarcasm, but what about children? Researchers disagree on exactly when children begin to infer sarcasm: Some believe that younger children mainly tell sarcasm by the context, while intonation comes into play with older children. Others believe the opposite.

A study of French-speaking children in 2005 showed that the younger children (age 5) understood sarcasm when the speaker used a sarcastic intonation, while the older children (over the age of 7) could tell sarcasm simply by the context [source: Laval]. When children don't successfully interpret a statement as sarcastic, they sometimes interpret it as a lie, especially when the only cue is contextual. As of yet, there is no one age when children understand sarcasm; in some studies, children as young as 3 years old could tell when someone was being sarcastic.

Some people, regardless of age, never understand sarcasm. Autistic people, for example, may have difficulty understanding sarcasm because they can't grasp the complex relationship between language, intention and context. Problems with understanding sarcasm may also have to do with lesions in the brain or brain damage.

A 2005 study in Neuropsychology concluded that three areas of the brain are responsible for our understanding of sarcasm: the language cortex in the left hemisphere, the frontal lobes and right hemisphere and the right ventromedial prefrontal cortex. When you hear a sarcastic statement, the language cortex understands its literal meaning. Then the frontal lobes and right hemisphere infer its context. Last, the right ventromedial prefontal cortex put the two together and interprets the statement as sarcasm.
7/19/12 5:47 PM
BasBang
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got it everyone? ^^^ Alow me to address one of OPs' internet "cues" in this case...7 PLUS GIFS OF LEGIT ELBOW STOPAGES W/O A CUT!!!! lol
7/19/12 6:15 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8.0 thread upped to 9.5 w/ reactions IMHO. Phone Post
7/19/12 6:18 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeezus i cant believe Rashad didnt go down from that elbow!
7/19/12 7:16 PM
noshame
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cojendo - 7/10 only because I like the gifs. The people arguing with him get 0/10 at life. Phone Post

Lol, was thinking the same thing.
7/19/12 10:26 PM
rockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

noshame -
Cojendo - 7/10 only because I like the gifs. The people arguing with him get 0/10 at life. Phone Post

I'm confused as to whether it's great trolling or incredibly poor troll defence? Phone Post
7/19/12 10:35 PM
Haulport

rockwell - 
noshame -
I'm confused as to whether it's great trolling or incredibly poor troll defence? Phone Post
Hey! Don't knock my skillz rockwell!!!
7/19/12 10:35 PM
Haulport

Steve4192 - 
gradytrain -  None of these gifs lead to cut stoppage. Shit half were knockouts! Thanks for the badass gifs! Let's bring back the kicks on the ground and knees to the head on the ground . OP is a pussy Phone Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
7/19/12 10:37 PM
Haulport

BTW: this thread would be NOTHING without DamnSevern's contributions...
7/19/12 10:46 PM
deebosilva

love the elbows its like crack give me more
7/19/12 11:02 PM
Haulport

BTW: I just remembered.......when I was a small child (like 4-5 yo) I referred to boobs (breasts, not someone like orcus) as ELBOWS....hhhhhmmmmmmm...
7/20/12 2:11 PM
Haulport

20k pageviews! Making progress to eliminate the bows!
7/20/12 2:53 PM
DamnSevern

daley
7/20/12 3:01 PM
Haulport

DamnSevern -  

daley
More Strikeforce elbows!!!!

What is going on over there??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.