UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Best Stephen King Novel

7/15/12 10:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
redroost
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So what in your opinion is his best novel to date?

Mine has gotta be IT. I loved the whole macroverse angle. Any King book makes me wanna visit Maine.

I also liked Black House. Yeah yeah, I know it's not the most popular thing out there.
7/23/12 2:13 PM
Willybone
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't like IT because I thought the ending was so weak. Actually, that's usually my criticism of his books. They almost always start off great, but end really weak.

"Christine" and "Pet Semetary" were great. Scared the crap out of me.
"The Gunslinger" and "Wizards and Glass" were the best parts of the Dark Tower.

7/24/12 12:59 AM
redroost

Pet Semetary was amazing. For a horror novel it was truly emotional with gage spoiler

dying.
7/24/12 1:01 AM
redroost

I think his endings are weak because the books draw you in so much no ending will live up.

So what does everybody think of the Shining sequel Dr. Sleep coming up?
7/30/12 12:34 PM
UGCTT_Goonerplata

I've read all but the last couple hundred pages of the final Dark Tower book and haven't read any of his other stuff, but I can't imagine any of it being better though. I plan to read Pet Semetary when I am done as Father Callahan plays a significant part in both. It surely is an undertaking though, with seven books in the series.
8/5/12 1:37 PM
jefft73
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Goonerplata - I've read all but the last couple hundred pages of the final Dark Tower book and haven't read any of his other stuff, but I can't imagine any of it being better though. I plan to read Pet Semetary when I am done as Father Callahan plays a significant part in both. It surely is an undertaking though, with seven books in the series.

I think you mean Salem's Lot with Callahan. For me IT is probably my favorite. I do agree that he has weak endings a lot of the time. I just finished up 11/22/63 and it was great - even the ending.
8/7/12 1:26 AM
redroost

I just finished Salem's Lot. Good read all together but it seemed like it lost track of its main character Ben in the middle.

11/22/63 was so depressing, but it couldn't have ended in a better way. It could be made into a fantastic film.
8/7/12 2:51 AM
UGCTT_Goonerplata

jefft73 -
UGCTT_Goonerplata - I've read all but the last couple hundred pages of the final Dark Tower book and haven't read any of his other stuff, but I can't imagine any of it being better though. I plan to read Pet Semetary when I am done as Father Callahan plays a significant part in both. It surely is an undertaking though, with seven books in the series.

I think you mean Salem's Lot with Callahan. For me IT is probably my favorite. I do agree that he has weak endings a lot of the time. I just finished up 11/22/63 and it was great - even the ending.
Yes, my mistake. Phone Post
8/14/12 7:11 PM
MrMead
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every single one of his books are incredible, until it gets the end where he has to tie it all together.
8/16/12 10:42 PM
Bry Bry

^^Insomnia was terrible...the first king book i didnt even make halfway thru..

Dead Zone was was amazing, as was Pet Semetary...IT is overrated but still a pretty good book..
8/18/12 9:43 AM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first King book I read was actually "The Eyes of the Dragon" and it remains one of my favorites. "The Gunslinger" is my favorite book out of the Dark Tower series. Haven't read much else of his stuff.

While I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series, the end pissed me off bad. I wish they were all as good as the first three.
9/20/12 3:00 PM
MattyIce
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree on the endings of King novels, they just never live up to the books themselves. It's almost like he just gets tired of writing the story over the year and comes up with the ending in a minute.

The Stand will always be my favorite, but for good horror/Sci-Fi fun check out Pet Sematary, IT, Different Seasons, The Dark Tower series, Hearts In Atlantis, Cujo, The Shining, & Full Dark No Stars
9/23/12 1:16 AM
UGCTT_Goonerplata

Just finished the Stand a couple days again. Incredible read. Phone Post
9/24/12 2:08 PM
jefft73
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LeftBench - The first King book I read was actually "The Eyes of the Dragon" and it remains one of my favorites. "The Gunslinger" is my favorite book out of the Dark Tower series. Haven't read much else of his stuff.

While I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series, the end pissed me off bad. I wish they were all as good as the first three.

I think I am the only person I know who liked the ending to The Dark Tower series...the part leading up to the end in book 7, not so much.

My favorite in the Dark Tower series is Drawing of the Three - loved that book. I also just finished up his new Dark Tower book - The Wind Through the Keyhole. It was nothing mindblowing but still an entertaining read. It makes sense even if you haven't read any of the other Dark Tower books.
10/10/12 4:48 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pet Sematary, by far.

It made the movie seem like an outright comedy.

Stephen King quit writing for some time due to this particular novel giving him nightmares.

The Shining was a 'good novel', but IMO it is one of the few instances in which the movie far surpassed the book.
10/10/12 9:01 PM
UGCTT_Goonerplata

I finished Wind through the keyhole the other day and enjoyed it. A less serious jaunt into the dark tower universe that was a fun read.

Now I'm on to 11/23/63 and I am loving it so far. I'm only 23 so the descriptions of 50-60s America is fascinating to me. Phone Post
10/11/12 7:55 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jefft73 - 
LeftBench - The first King book I read was actually "The Eyes of the Dragon" and it remains one of my favorites. "The Gunslinger" is my favorite book out of the Dark Tower series. Haven't read much else of his stuff.

I think I am the only person I know who liked the ending to The Dark Tower series...the part leading up to the end in book 7, not so much.

My favorite in the Dark Tower series is Drawing of the Three - loved that book. I also just finished up his new Dark Tower book - The Wind Through the Keyhole. It was nothing mindblowing but still an entertaining read. It makes sense even if you haven't read any of the other Dark Tower books.

I hadn't even heard of The Wind Through The Keyhole. I'll have to check it out... thanks!
10/15/12 12:00 PM
SecondBase
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go with The Stand, followed by any of the first three Dark Tower books.
2/22/13 12:53 AM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think my favorites are probably Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis and The Wasteleands.   Song of Susannah was really good as well.

11/11/13 9:26 AM
khaleesi
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King has a lot of great books.

My favourite would probably be IT.

11/13/13 6:45 PM
ocianain

Talisman with Peter Straub. Too bad he'll die never realizing his talent.
11/24/13 6:44 PM
maantren
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge fan of 'Bag of Bones'. A lot of my favourite King books are the ones where the horror is more in the background and he focuses on characters.
12/3/13 9:11 PM
effinggoof
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Stand.

3/4/14 11:49 AM
B17
456 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got into a King spree as of late.

Started with Under the Dome. Loved it. Big Jim was a fantastic character. As was Julia Shumway.

Im about half done with 11/22/63 and it might be a top three favorite for me, even without finishing it.

Ive also found an old hardcover of The Stand that I will read next. Well...that or Duma Key.
3/30/14 5:50 PM
Dante11

do you have to have read king's others books to undestand the dark tower series?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.