UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Pullup Contest

10/2/12 11:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

turducken - 
vermonter - 
turducken - adding a fixed amount of weight makes no sense. it should be percentage of bodyweight. or just leave it at normal bodyweight reps. a 145lb guy who is pulling an extra 50lbs is doing a lot more work than a 220lb guy who is pulling an extra 50lbs.

You're very confused about who has an advantage with absolute and relative strength aren't you?

That's ok little buddy. Just go do your pull ups for now and we can talk about this later.

a 145lb guy adding 50lbs is doing pullups with an additional 34% of his bodyweight. a 220lb guy adding 50lbs is only doing pullups with an additional 22% of his bodyweight.

Leigh is correct.

Absolute efforts favor the larger man (assuming equal body fat), and relative efforts favor the smaller man (down to a point).

As such, as we have been discussing throughout the thread, the lighter guys have an advantage in this contest. However, if we changed it and made it an absolute contest like leigh suggested (one weight for all) the bigger guys would have the advantage. If we take the relative weight and add a reasonable fixed weight, it should balance out the numbers a bit.

Lets do this!
10/2/12 10:44 PM
Ham and Egger
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tested on the final day and got 12 at 210. Nothing worth writing home about but it was an improvement. Didnt want anyone to think I just blew it off.

I did progress on my other lifts as well this month. Kind of bad timing for me for this particular contest since I have been eating everything I can get my hands on.
10/3/12 10:59 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well man, there's no time limit now except manhood, so get on that other thread :)
10/16/12 7:36 PM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I struggle to get over 10 (at weight approximate 210lbs) going to try add weight Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.