UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Pullup Contest

7/18/12 5:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ham and Egger
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in. I currently do 3 sets of 8, 2 days a week. No idea of max. I do them on rings bit I will have to get a bar so I'm not behind. 210 lbs. Phone Post
7/18/12 6:38 AM
Leigh
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I won't max out until its go time. All my reps will be under 6
7/18/12 7:28 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll hop in on this. In the past I was in the 30 rep range, but definitely not there now. I would guess I am good for about 20-22 @ 160lbs, but havent maxed out in ages.
7/18/12 9:35 AM
mkou
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can do 15 at about 155. Starting a new cycle of 5/3/1 so might as well get up to this challenges as I'm doing a lot of volume on pullups.
7/18/12 9:53 AM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Doug, (guys) we're not talking "kipping" Pull-ups right? Although I don't kip...I know that using the kip, I can easily double my numbers.

TAKU
7/18/12 10:01 AM
Leigh
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/12 10:01 AM
Taku -  Hey Doug, (guys) we're not talking "kipping" Pull-ups right? Although I don't kip...I know that using the kip, I can easily double my numbers.

TAKU

vermonter - Also, no kip. A light momentum assist with the legs on the last rep or two would be forgivable, but not a true kip.

I blame Doug - this is the second person who missed his details ;)

I just had a go at some weighted ones at the end of my workout. I managed 5 good reps with 40kg.
7/18/12 11:48 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate you tiny fuckers. 235 and max out at 9 pullups
7/18/12 1:23 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in!
7/18/12 5:54 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/12 5:55 PM
 Well...my best effort is 18 at a BW of just under 170 lbs.

Don't think i'll be challenging for the leaders of this contest. I have a female client who can bust out at least 25. She does 6-10 sets of 15, almost every day.

TAKU 

P.S. saw my older brother knock off 19, cold on one of the Marine Corps Challenge bars.

7/18/12 6:00 PM
Leigh

Anyone breaking double digits has done well Phone Post
7/18/12 6:14 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku -  Well...my best effort is 18 at a BW of just under 170 lbs.

Don't think i'll be challenging for the leaders of this contest. I have a female client who can bust out at least 25. She does 6-10 sets of 15, almost every day.

TAKU 

P.S. saw my older brother knock off 19, cold on one of the Marine Corps Challenge bars.

10 sets of 15 sounds unbelievable. how much rest time between sets? that really blows my mind, much moreso than people who can do 25-30 reps in one set.
7/18/12 7:30 PM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku -  Well...my best effort is 18 at a BW of just under 170 lbs.

TAKU 

Funny you mention it, i'm the guy who works the Marine Corps challenge booths...lol
7/18/12 7:32 PM
LordSeano
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm up for this but I can guarantee right now I can do fuck all. I've been doing light weighted pull ups but only once or twice a week.

I'm 215-220 at the moment and no idea how many unweighted I can do. It will be a good excuse to try though.

So how long do we have 2 months to get up as many as we can in one go?
7/18/12 10:31 PM
BlueDream
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really think the only fair way to do this is dead hangs. Everyone has a different def of what a full range of motion pull up is.
7/19/12 3:46 AM
joemasepoos
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in , I have been stuck on around 18/19 good dead hang reps for a long time , I just can't ever get no.20 . I'm keen to do this challenge just to break this deadlock . BTW I'm 67kg , 43 yrs old .

Leigh 40kg weighted pull-up's , that's awesome !!
7/19/12 3:48 AM
joemasepoos
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BlueDream - I really think the only fair way to do this is dead hangs. Everyone has a different def of what a full range of motion pull up is.

+1
7/19/12 9:01 AM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok I will make a chart of those who have indicated they are in, and where they are currently at if they have listed it.

It will be two months as of tomorrow. Honor system will be the norm, but vids of your effort will definitely help to confirm your performance, especially if you are anywhere near the top in the absolute category.

The form expected is presented in the following video, although, as i said: I for one will not be a form nazi. There's a big difference between a little momentum wave on the last rep or two in a contest for fun/challenge, and 20 straight half reps. Don't be in the latter category.

Pay special attention to the elbows at the bottom, and chin height at the top:

You have two months starting tomorrow gents - and lady. Any info that you have for me that you have not posted would be great (it will be cool to see if anyone has a greater total force output that isn't the rep winner, or has substantial improvement, and so on, so the contest can be fun for a variety of people at different levels).

Let's go!
7/19/12 9:55 AM
SpecialPatrolGroup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am 68kgs (150lbs), age 22 and can do 12. In for self improvement.
7/19/12 10:00 AM
Leigh

Edited: 07/19/12 10:01 AM
Am I able to use a V-bar hung on to something? Like one of these:

And just to reiterate, I can pause as long as I want as long as I don't let go?
7/19/12 10:13 AM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Am I able to use a V-bar hung on to something? Like one of these:

And just to reiterate, I can pause as long as I want as long as I don't let go?

How are you going to get the required ROM with a handle like that? Putting your head on a side of the bar as you go up?

Yeah a pause is fine, although that's just another advantage for you i guess haha. I.E. if i were to hang on the bar, it wouldn't actually be restful.
7/19/12 10:20 AM
Leigh

Well, in my particular circumstance, I can't turn my wrists properly, so I have to do pull ups with hands facing each other or away. My gym doesn't have a proper chinning station (or a squat rack). Yeah I usually go side to side but I was thinking of hanging that on the end of the smith machine
7/19/12 10:25 AM
paw
1361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck all!
7/19/12 10:42 AM
vermonter

Leigh - Well, in my particular circumstance, I can't turn my wrists properly, so I have to do pull ups with hands facing each other or away. My gym doesn't have a proper chinning station (or a squat rack). Yeah I usually go side to side but I was thinking of hanging that on the end of the smith machine

Yeah i saw some old thread where you mentioned your weird ass disability.

I guess that'd be ok. Def limits ROM though i think. Maybe train it and do the final test on a playground with parallel bars.
7/19/12 10:49 AM
jeremy hamilton
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I will be in for this. I don't know how much I will be able to train for this though, I am training for a meet and I am having some lat/shoulder trouble at the moment.

7/19/12 10:58 AM
vermonter

Boo @ lat/shoulder trouble.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.