UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Pullup Contest

7/19/12 8:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Doug,

Sounds good. I appreciate the larger font...I may be getting old (but don't want to admit it yet).

TAKU
7/19/12 8:24 PM
Ham and Egger
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to make it clear there is no switching of grips correct?
7/19/12 9:57 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good question. Are Chin-ups allowed (supinated grip) Or may one use a Rotating handle etc?

I most often do my pull-ups with a neutral grip or with rotation.

TAKU
7/20/12 2:02 AM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wont change my grip but don't care if you guys want to. Just no feet down Phone Post
7/20/12 6:31 AM
LordSeano
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am going to go to the gym tomorrow morning - i've done bugger all training the last few weeks so I am just going to have to shoot for the most improved!

I'll post weight and pullup number from my session tomorrow as my Day One figure.
7/20/12 7:40 AM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think most people could hit 20 in 2 months. Maybe I'm being naive but starve yourself down and do a load of pull ups Phone Post
7/20/12 7:46 AM
LordSeano
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep Im going to do pretty much that
7/20/12 9:29 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm certainly not going to starve myself unless there is serious prize money involved.
7/20/12 11:22 AM
Kage
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Did 5x10 yesterday, not full extension on the last sets.
7/20/12 11:43 AM
SesameTako
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in. I got 10 in a row. 170lbs Phone Post
7/20/12 12:28 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want it...been working on pull ups almost every day at the beach. good luck everyone! 
7/20/12 10:36 PM
HERTSWENIP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/20/12 10:46 PM
Just went to the gym today, did my usual set of 20, 5 mins later I decided to do fast reps and switch up my technique, knocked out a set of 31 (I hadn't gone over 30 in years), kinda surprised myself. I was able to improve my moving technique efficiency (efficiency of moving my body from point A-B, instead of maximizing MU recruitment), speeding up the tempo, learning to whip my chin over the bar with momentum, widening my grip, and learning to relax in the right phases of movement. The first 5 reps were a bit rough as I was relearning the movement, need to perfect it. Third set, I failed at exactly 20 reps, fatigue had set in.

Technique goes a long way... elbow is feeling banged up tho.
7/21/12 1:26 AM
Leigh

^thats awesome, you might hit 40 in 2 months! Phone Post
7/21/12 4:35 AM
LordSeano

Fuuuuuu- 31......

I'm going to head down to the gym in a while. If I hit 10 I'll be pleased
7/21/12 5:09 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Decided to give it a try today. I managed 14 while weighing 235 which is pretty disappointing. Just a few months ago I was breaking 20 regularly although I wasn't quite as fat as I am now. These were done at full extension from a dead hang but still wouldn't pass a strict form test although I didn't do any real kipping.

I'm going to use this as motivation to get my weight down. I'm definitely up for posting vids as I think it helps make people more motivated to try harder themselves. Phone Post
7/21/12 6:57 AM
LordSeano

14 at 235 is solid.

I just managed 10 at 224lbs which is not bad for me given where I was a few mths ago with pullups.
7/22/12 1:35 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku,

I'm with Leigh. I'm fine with switching your grip, as long as your feet don't touch the ground.
7/22/12 1:38 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I realized yesterday that I would need to add a minimum of 60 lbs to my max pullup to even have a chance of coming near the top spots with some of these beasts...

That's a big jump in 2 months.

Buuutttt.... i'm game to try :)

And 14 at 235 is excellent.
7/22/12 2:20 AM
Leigh

I found some bars at a playground Phone Post
7/22/12 11:37 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't been paying much attention to my training due to work recently but I'm pretty sure I was doing weighted pullups with a 20kg plate for about 10 reps just a few months ago. I haven't been monitoring my weight though and I suspect I've gained quite a bit since then which may be partially the cause. The other possibility being that I was kipping a lot more than I thought I was.

Either way I'm pretty determined to get the reps back up to 20. As lame as an online contest on a random web forum may seem I actually find these kind of threads pretty motivating. The bench press version on the OG a couple of years actually motivated me to increase my 1RM by 10kg after having plateaued and bouncing back and forth for a few years.
7/22/12 1:01 PM
vermonter

Edited: 07/22/12 1:01 PM
Leigh - I think most people could hit 20 in 2 months. Maybe I'm being naive but starve yourself down and do a load of pull ups Phone Post

Maybe... a lot of people hit a wall in the teens, especially above 170 lbs of bodyweight, and there's no way some of us could make it that low...
7/22/12 1:17 PM
vermonter

HERTSWENIP - Just went to the gym today, did my usual set of 20, 5 mins later I decided to do fast reps and switch up my technique, knocked out a set of 31 (I hadn't gone over 30 in years), kinda surprised myself. I was able to improve my moving technique efficiency (efficiency of moving my body from point A-B, instead of maximizing MU recruitment), speeding up the tempo, learning to whip my chin over the bar with momentum, widening my grip, and learning to relax in the right phases of movement. The first 5 reps were a bit rough as I was relearning the movement, need to perfect it. Third set, I failed at exactly 20 reps, fatigue had set in.

Technique goes a long way... elbow is feeling banged up tho.

Momentum/whip just from the faster reps?

Going to fast at the bottom would stress my elbows too, as would the wider grip (not to mention shoulders).
7/23/12 6:38 AM
LordSeano

After this it would be good to do a bench press or squat or deadlift comp alng the same lines.
7/23/12 11:31 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LordSeano - After this it would be good to do a bench press or squat or deadlift comp alng the same lines.

No point in doing a bench press test. This is the internet, we all bench over 600lbs already. ;-)
7/23/12 11:44 AM
vermonter

LordSeano - After this it would be good to do a bench press or squat or deadlift comp alng the same lines.

Way ahead of you buddy. I've already got some ideas in mind. I also want to try and open this up to more people... We will see how that goes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.