UnderGround Forums

GirlGround >> Question for moms

7/17/12 4:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RLL
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We are starting a search for a good sitter for our 4 yr old daughter, so we can have some nights out. I am very picky when it comes to who watches our daughter, I don't let 99% of my family watch her because they are idiots, smoke, or other general stupidity like racism.

Have any moms on here hired sitters for their young children? Are any of you picky with high standards? If so, how did you find the sitter and how did you interview them? What sort of questions can you ask a stranger to feel comfortable leaving your child with them? How did you know when you found the "right one"?

Thanks for any feedback.
7/21/12 11:02 AM
cakegirl
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've only ever used sitters that I knew and trusted, so there was never any interview or anything. Family members, other mums, good friends, etc. Phone Post
7/21/12 12:53 PM
RLL
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for responding. Phone Post
7/21/12 11:33 PM
female_perv
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cakegirl - I've only ever used sitters that I knew and trusted, so there was never any interview or anything. Family members, other mums, good friends, etc. Phone Post
Yes... Even if they claim they have references, years of experience... I could never let a stranger keep my kid.

In our area they have late night and weekend facilities that we have used (when fam/friends aren't available) and had no complaints. They are licensed and I have no worries leaving my kid at a day care center as opposed to a stranger's home or home with a stranger. Phone Post
7/22/12 5:50 AM
cakegirl
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True... I have the number of one of the carers from my daughter's old daycare as a backup in case one of my family memebers, friends or my neighbour is not available. I trust her because I know her through the centre, I know her qualifications, and I know that she and my daughter already have a good relationship from the time that my girl spent at that centre. I've never had to call her though.

We're very lucky though - both sets of grandparents are within a 20 minute drive of our house, I've got quite a few friends who are great with our girl, and our next-door neighbour is happy to pop over to our place at night and watch TV while our daughter sleeps if her dad and I both have to be out for some reason.
7/22/12 10:25 AM
RLL

cakegirl - True... I have the number of one of the carers from my daughter's old daycare as a backup in case one of my family memebers, friends or my neighbour is not available. I trust her because I know her through the centre, I know her qualifications, and I know that she and my daughter already have a good relationship from the time that my girl spent at that centre. I've never had to call her though.

We're very lucky though - both sets of grandparents are within a 20 minute drive of our house, I've got quite a few friends who are great with our girl, and our next-door neighbour is happy to pop over to our place at night and watch TV while our daughter sleeps if her dad and I both have to be out for some reason.
You are lucky. My wifes mother is the only one we trust with our daughter... rest of family are morons. Phone Post
10/22/12 11:19 PM
Breezah
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell no. Only family. And if I had to, I'd quit my job.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.