UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> reloading

7/18/12 8:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john76
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is it super difficult?

are there any "plug and Play" sets you can buy?

cabelas has kits by Hornady and RCBS... are they the right direction?

tips appreciated

i want to reload .223 and 9mm
7/19/12 10:48 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, a lot of reloading choices are personal preference. RCBS and Hornaday make good equipment, but Dillon has been the Cadillac workhorse for reloading circles. Especially the competition shooters who crank out high volumes of rounds.

Reloading is quite easy. Anybody can do it if they can read a reloading manual for powder recipes.

The best thing you can do if go to a gunshop or get online and order some reloading manuals. Read up and figure out what equipment you're going to need to reload the ammo you want to, and then dig around for reviews. Lee's book is especially good for novice reloaders. Then dig around for pet loads people like, powders, bullets, etc. You'll spend a lot of time experimenting with primers, powders, bullets, charge weights, seat depth, etc.

Most of the manufacturers make kits that come with the things you'll need for a specific caliber (Lee and Dillon come to mind immediately).
7/21/12 12:03 AM
john76
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff

thanks

how many times can cases be re-loaded?

from what i've read it seems like they get used until there are visible defects?

seems kinda iffy... lol
7/21/12 10:51 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I mostly reload handgun rounds. My father in law shot competition for years, and he still has 1911 brass that's stamped 1974. He's loaded them up quite a bit.

When you go to reload them, if it has a crack or bulge, toss it in the trash or a recycle bucket. If it doesn't, load it up and fire away until it does.

Rifle brass usually doesn't get many loadings due to the neck on the cartridge wearing out.
8/2/12 11:32 AM
Dark Knight
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought a lee turret reloader. Within 30 minutes I was reloading. It was the kit so had almost everything.

I then bought a couple other turrets (The top of the machine) and set up the dies and powder feed for different calibers. In about 10 seconds I can go from one caliber to another.

The Turret is pretty fast, a progressive would be much faster.

I have run across guys that do single stage so they get the full feeling o reloading. I want a couple hundred rounds for the weekend and like speed.

I buy my lead from http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx

I buy my powder and primers from a gun show or a locl shop.

Reloading is pretty easy. BTW, buy digital caliber (Lowes) right away. (first lesson for me)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.