UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier may move to 205 lbs. to avoid Velasquez

7/18/12 11:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Cormier and Velasquez are close friends and teammates at American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., and Cormier has no desire to fight him.

But aside from not wanting to fight his friend, Cormier is excited by the possibility of facing UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

"I'm not saying that's what I want to do (move to light heavyweight) right now," Cormier told ESPN.com. "A lot depends on what happens between Cain and (current UFC heavyweight champion) Junior dos Santos. "

Dropping to 205 pounds "is a potential plan B if Cain becomes champion again, which I think he will," Cormier said. "Imagine that: Me and Jones standing across the cage from one another. That would be crazy because you know I'm putting him on his back."

read entire article...

7/18/12 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stu Cazzo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smart move regardless....
7/18/12 11:11 PM
allforroy
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier has the will and skill to beat Jones. Who else at 205 or close enough to drop there comes close? Phone Post
7/18/12 11:15 PM
Stu Cazzo

Mitt Romney 2012 -  After Junior makes short work of Cain again, I hope he moves to 205 regardless. Phone Post

I'm a big fan of both.  If Cain shoots for takedowns with perfect timing then this will be hell in the octagon.

7/18/12 11:16 PM
EdTheGreat

Shaq Attack - i thought he messed up his kidney or something last time he tried

this, but he is pretty chubby
7/18/12 11:17 PM
catch waves
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shaq Attack - i thought he messed up his kidney or something last time he tried
Cutting water weight before a fight and dieting down to make a new division are two completely different things man.

His kidneys will be fine if he drops enough body fat that he doesn't have a huge cut to 205 come fight time. Just might take a while to get to that stage properly! Phone Post
7/18/12 11:18 PM
BaraoKix

@dc_mma Cormier:Imagine that Me and Jones standing across the cage from one another, That would be crazy because you know I'm putting him on his back

7/18/12 11:20 PM
ABE FROMAN

2 things.

He already said he wouldn't fight Cain UNLESS the belt was an option. What happend?

Second thing. Cormier is the only fighter I could see giving Jones problems at that weight.

7/18/12 11:21 PM
RealTerry

Would rather him stay at HW. Still good fights with JDS and Overeem there. Jones should be moving up to HW soon anyway
7/18/12 11:22 PM
BaraoKix

HW needs fighters like him, it remains pretty talent-stricken...
7/18/12 11:27 PM
12SixElbow
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Cormier last week, and I canot beleive he is a HW. Guy is tiny
7/18/12 11:34 PM
RealTerry

Jones/Cormier fighting at 205 is just fucking retarded. That fight should happen at HW where neither has to worry about a weight cut. The 205 division should die, anybody at that weight who wants big fights should be at HW
7/18/12 11:35 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's why fighters should have camps.. not teams

eventually.. they'll figure it out

7/18/12 11:36 PM
RealTerry

inf0 - that's why fighters should have camps.. not teams

eventually.. they'll figure it out

<br type="_moz" />

Agreed
7/18/12 11:49 PM
Size

RealTerry - Jones/Cormier fighting at 205 is just fucking retarded. That fight should happen at HW where neither has to worry about a weight cut. The 205 division should die, anybody at that weight who wants big fights should be at HW

Better yet, lets just change the weight limits of MW, LHW, and HW based on who the best guys are at a given time! We can occasionally have a super heavyweight division too.

Oh wait, that idea is as dumb as yours.
7/19/12 12:36 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BaraoKix - @dc_mma Cormier:Imagine that Me and Jones standing across the cage from one another, That would be crazy because you know I'm putting him on his back

Gotta love the start of a rivalry Phone Post
7/19/12 12:47 AM
MMALOGIC

what a horrible career move... being able to move down is like a "get out of jail free" card... why would you use it when you're undefeated at HW?

get your money fights at HW... if you lose then move down and get more money.
7/19/12 4:23 AM
stonepony

He should fight where he is in his prime. Period. End of story.

He's small, he shouldn't Fedor himself. LHW would be appropriate.
7/19/12 4:24 AM
Musashi
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Imagine that: Me and Jones standing across the cage from one another. That would be crazy because you know I'm putting him on his back."

I'M FUCKING ROCK HARD RIGHT NOW.
7/19/12 6:48 AM
Bipolar

Cormier is the only guy I see having a legit chance against Bones at 205. That said, I seen Cormier having some good moments, but not ultimately winning that fight.
7/19/12 9:07 AM
fiercedragon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why not tell cain to move down if he loses again?
7/19/12 9:09 AM
sarcotraps

I would love to see him move down and fight bones.
7/19/12 9:32 AM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/19/12 9:34 AM
MMALOGIC -  what a horrible career move... being able to move down is like a "get out of jail free" card... why would you use it when you're undefeated at HW?

A common misconception - moving to your ideal weight class is not a "get out of jail free card", it's usually just something you should have been doing all along.

get your money fights at HW... if you lose then move down and get more money.

How much money will he lose in moving costs, the resale of his house on short notice? The disruption and costs of telling his wife to quit her job and pulling the kids out of school? The chemistry of a perfect trainining camp can be hard to replicate, this will likely slow his development and take his fighting down a notch for a while.

I think you're ignoring a lot of hidden costs to his situation as well as the price of loyalty.
7/19/12 9:57 AM
GROUNDnLB
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought DC had Kidney issues thta prevented him from cutting weight.
7/19/12 10:07 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll put Jones into a comatose.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.