UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Secret to Growth – Get Naked

7/19/12 9:28 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Underground Blogger David Avellan, along with his brother Marcos, founded South Florida's Freestyle Fighting Academy (FFA) in 2001, and has trained fighters for the UFC, WEC, Bodogfight, EliteXC, Strikeforce, among many other promotions.

Most people spend their life avoiding uncomfortable circumstances.
·Talking to your neighbor about their dog barking that is keeping you up at night
·Confessing to your friend a lie you told them
·Breaking up with your boyfriend/girlfriend
·Asking a “dumb” question that you need an answer to
·Going to the beach as an overweight person
·Working out at the gym, LOL!
·Insert your uncomfortable situation

It is a natural phenomenon of animal behavior.

Avoid pain, seek pleasure – in that order.

There is one problem with that: to attain our greatest pleasures we must go through pain.

You cannot win a fight without stepping into the age and taking a few punches in the face.

You cannot get into great shape without doing intense work outs.

I am not telling you anything revolutionary here.

No pain, no gain.

The revelation that most people don’t realize is that this concept is also true on an emotional level.

Many people avoid confrontations with people (friend, co-worker, boss, spouse) because they don’t want to deal with the emotional pain that will come with it.

But to develop yourself and create more character, you need to feel the pain and embrace it.

Deep down, we all know this too. But we try to delay the inevitable just because the fear of pain.

We try to cover ourselves up and shield ourselves, rather than to be naked and exposed.

The conclusion is simple:

If you don't push yourself beyond your comfort zone, you will never grow.

When you are comfortable, there is no need to grow. You are already doing everything good enough to your satisfaction. This is why most people stay in the same place for their whole lives.

It is only once you get uncomfortable that you start to make changes.

For example, we all at some point have caught a pebble in our shoe and kept walking. A slight annoyance is acceptable. Only until that pebble jabs you in the right spot and makes you uncomfortable do you make the effort to remove it.

Physically and emotionally we change under the same conditions.

What does this mean to you in terms of MMA training?

If you train and are only going at 50%, you will never make significant improvements to your conditioning. Your cardio will not be tested, so your body won't get tired. As a result, your cardiovascular system will have no need to improve. It will be easy to do, but accomplishes nothing.

Dan Gable set the benchmark for training. His goal was to be so exhausted that he could not walk out of the training room.

For him, training was infinitely harder than any competition he entered, which is why he has excelled at everything he has done.

This is easier said than done.

Pushing yourself to the breaking point takes a great deal of discipline and courage.

You have to embrace the pain and everything that comes with it.

It is a trial by fire.

Just getting close to it can be enough to scare off the timid as the heat rushes through your body. Everything that is weak burns painfully, creating a foul stench that only a strong will can endure.

There will come a point where it becomes unbearable and you will want to flee but fear not - for that is the moment you have been waiting for.

Much like how a wounded lion fights fiercely, so does weakness. That peak in pain is the last effort of a desperate ego. Persist a little further, and you will have completed the trial and be reborn.

The new you has new limits, ideas, and self concepts that will make you a better person.

Going through such a trial once is challenging.

A champion goes through them every training session.

Road Map to Success:
·Set your Goals
·Tap into your Motivation so you can pursue your Goals with Discipline
·Push yourself beyond your limits and embrace
change

Believe and Achieve,

David Avellan
http://www.DavidAvellan.com

P.S. > For a quick motivational pump covering exactly what I was talking about here, check this video out:

http://www.DavidAvellan.com/grind

7/19/12 10:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
deepu
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article!
7/19/12 10:07 AM
2JupitersTooMany
1574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have found that it is difficult to grow when I am wearing pants.  That's why I sleep in a pair of loose boxers every night, to avoid a 6am injury.
7/19/12 10:27 AM
DavidAvellan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get FREE MMA Instructional Videos, Click Here To Watch!
2JupitersTooMany - I have found that it is difficult to grow when I am wearing pants.  That's why I sleep in a pair of loose boxers every night, to avoid a 6am injury.
ROTFLMAO!

7/19/12 10:55 AM
bknumber1
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article and spot on. Phone Post
7/19/12 11:59 AM
ranier wolfcastle
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive been nude all morning, but i am still the same height
7/19/12 12:21 PM
Tahiti Bo
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pics or GTFO
7/19/12 1:01 PM
MRG1
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good read.
going through something similar now. meaning change in life.
7/19/12 1:08 PM
Looky

Oh, a motivation pump. Genius!
7/19/12 1:17 PM
roperninja
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looky - Oh, a motivation pump. Genius!
! Phone Post
7/19/12 1:34 PM
Edgard Plazaola

Great article, Thank you Master Davie

TTT
7/19/12 2:03 PM
superChaelo

i can relate to this article. i once had a pebble in my shoe for 3 whole years before I realised that it was a pebble in my shoe. It was hard to walk and i was always in pain. then i took it out and everything was better. so yes i agree with your viewpoint
7/19/12 2:09 PM
crowbar
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Females around the world have mastered this philosophy.
7/19/12 2:16 PM
Posty Magee
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/19/12 2:17 PM
crowbar
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Example shown below.

7/19/12 2:58 PM
RockyBullwinkle
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good article but honestly dissapointed in the lack of nudity.
7/19/12 3:16 PM
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They have a saying in Iowa, "Michael Jordan is the Dan Gable of basketball."
7/19/12 3:22 PM
superChaelo

ender852 -  They have a saying in Iowa, "Michael Jordan is the Dan Gable of basketball."

we have a saying here in mexico that "juan manuel marquez is the larry king of baseball." which is strange as juan manuel is a boxer not a basebll player.
7/19/12 3:37 PM
DavidAvellan

superChaelo - 
ender852 -  They have a saying in Iowa, "Michael Jordan is the Dan Gable of basketball."

we have a saying here in mexico that "juan manuel marquez is the larry king of baseball." which is strange as juan manuel is a boxer not a basebll player.
LOL that is awesome!

Going to have to use that one :)

7/19/12 5:01 PM
BrianGassaway

I don't post on here much but I have to say David you have a uncanny ability to put in words a process that is not so easily described.

Telling someone the proper way to throw a punch is one thing, but to touch on the personal journey and transformation you go through when you throw 5000 punches, 10000 puches etc is something that needs to be noted and respected.

Keep up the good work!!!
Brian Gassaway
7/19/12 5:31 PM
kevsh
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading many years ago in an article about bodybuilding that you have to go to your limit and then a little beyond. That little extra you do is where you get something like 90% (don't remember the exact figure) of your improvement.

I think this clearly applies to training in general, but as David pointed out, also in many things in life. Thanks for posting.
7/19/12 5:40 PM
MushroomHead
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
7/19/12 5:44 PM
MushroomHead
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
7/19/12 7:28 PM
BZLJJ
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of the best things that I have read in a long time (and I read a LOT)! :) Great job, Mr. Avellan!
7/19/12 8:48 PM
DavidAvellan

BrianGassaway - I don't post on here much but I have to say David you have a uncanny ability to put in words a process that is not so easily described.

Telling someone the proper way to throw a punch is one thing, but to touch on the personal journey and transformation you go through when you throw 5000 punches, 10000 puches etc is something that needs to be noted and respected.

Keep up the good work!!!
Brian Gassaway
Thanks Brian! Means a lot coming from an experienced veteran of the fight game like yourself. Osu! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.