UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Fundamental positions in newaza?

7/19/12 10:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TEOMOFE
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/19/12 10:42 AM

Settle a bet for me.

If I said "The fundamental positions in judo newaza are turtle, guard and half guard", would you agree or disagree?

Note: this is from a 'these are positions you need to know how to defend and attack, because these positions are the ones that you encounter the most, after a throw or as part of an escape' point of view.
7/19/12 4:28 PM
ASanchez83
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disagree. You need to know all of osaekomi and common submissions and possible escapes from them as well as what you have posted above. Phone Post
7/19/12 9:05 PM
judoblackbelt
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also would add flat down(prone) position. In general I kind of agree with you.I would of said "The fundamental atttack positions of judo newaza you need to learn are ......and add the prone position.
7/19/12 11:53 PM
Seong gyeong
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kesa-gatame is what came to mind when I read the title.
7/20/12 4:21 AM
TheThrill
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haven't been doing judo very long but it seems to me that most of the people in the judo class I take try to get right to side control when it hits the ground Phone Post
7/22/12 10:54 AM
judom
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its important to learn how to pin first, from many directions and how to switch between pins. I learned that by doing drills where you pin without using hands. You quickly learn the right body positions.
8/12/12 1:00 AM
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/12/12 1:01 AM
kayla-harrison came to my mind

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.