UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Just built my PC (pics)

7/23/12 10:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slugshot331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - 
slugshot331 -
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -  I'm gonna have to build my own Gaming PC to play DayZ soon. Not looking forward to it lol. Phone Post
Why not?  It's a fun process.  And it's a lot better than buying one already built (cheaper too).

Yea the only reason I'm deciding to build my own is because it is much cheaper.

I just can't be bothered with the hassle, and if I fuck up then I would have to start all over again. Plus there are still 1 or 2 things I need to learn about building PC's before I attempt my own. Phone Post
I had a friend of mine help me build mine, he's a computer freak and loves building them.  If you're not comfortable building it yourself (I wasn't-too much risk), it's a good start.  The worst thing is buying all the parts and having one of them be DOA.

7/23/12 12:21 PM
disbeliever
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I haven't built a PC in over 10 years lol It was fun, maybe I'll have to do another one
7/23/12 2:03 PM
slugshot331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - I haven't built a PC in over 10 years lol It was fun, maybe I'll have to do another one
Well I hope this thread inspires you sir. Phone Post
7/24/12 12:11 AM
NiteProwleR
1028 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so jealous
7/24/12 12:38 AM
ShadowPM
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Built mine last September. Overall a great experience. Much more difficult to manage from a trouble shooting and management aspect.

For example, I completed the build, installed windows and had some odd periodic issues updating and patching. Had literally no idea what was wrong. Went step by step troubleshooting components until I identified I had bad ram. Since my CPU has 16gb I had to go stick by stick, memory slot by memory slot to isolate and fix.

Anyone who is looking to build post your questions ! We will help. Phone Post
7/24/12 12:42 AM
slugshot331

ShadowPM -  Built mine last September. Overall a great experience. Much more difficult to manage from a trouble shooting and management aspect.

For example, I completed the build, installed windows and had some odd periodic issues updating and patching. Had literally no idea what was wrong. Went step by step troubleshooting components until I identified I had bad ram. Since my CPU has 16gb I had to go stick by stick, memory slot by memory slot to isolate and fix.

The problem I ran into was faulty ram slots on my motherboard.  Once everything was hooked up, everything worked fine EXCEPT the RAM.  We tried every pssible combination of slots and the memory would not post.  Exchanged the motherboard and was lucky enough to get a working one.  So far so good.  The only problem I have now is if I try to overclock the CPU or GPU past a certain point, I get blue screens or my games black screen and I have to lower the clocks.  One thing I'm not good at is overcloacking and messing with the voltages because I'm too scared to risk frying either of them lol.

7/24/12 2:02 AM
ShadowPM
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slugshot331 -
ShadowPM -  Built mine last September. Overall a great experience. Much more difficult to manage from a trouble shooting and management aspect.

The problem I ran into was faulty ram slots on my motherboard.  Once everything was hooked up, everything worked fine EXCEPT the RAM.  We tried every pssible combination of slots and the memory would not post.  Exchanged the motherboard and was lucky enough to get a working one.  So far so good.  The only problem I have now is if I try to overclock the CPU or GPU past a certain point, I get blue screens or my games black screen and I have to lower the clocks.  One thing I'm not good at is overcloacking and messing with the voltages because I'm too scared to risk frying either of them lol.

Right there with you on the video card over clocking. Are you using your Own tool or a catalyst manager Phone Post
7/24/12 2:06 AM
slugshot331

ShadowPM -Right there with you on the video card over clocking. Are you using your Own tool or a catalyst manager Phone Post

MSI Afterburner
7/24/12 12:51 PM
Diaz 3:16
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys it litreally takes 20-40 minutes to assemble the PC, that includes unboxing. The hard part is the research beforehand and wondering if you should spend $20 or $40 extra here or there lol :p
7/24/12 1:20 PM
Granpa
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just realized my PC is over 4 years old now, with the exception of my video card which I upgraded last year. But damn, I used to upgrade every year. It's been almost 5 years since my last upgrade. I'm still able to run everything I throw at it, not all at max settings, but still looking better than consoles.
7/26/12 9:36 PM
Trombles
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slugshot331 - Thanks man!

part list (everything but the processor and mobo are from newegg.com
CPU: i5 3750k - $189.99 @ Microcenter
MOBO: Asrock z77 Extreme4 - $89.99 w/ cpu bundle @ Microcenter
GPU: MSI GTX 680 Lightning - $600
PSU: OCZ ZX1000w - $189.99
SSD: Corsair Force GT 240gb -$240
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $99
CASE: NZXT Phantom full tower - $129.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb - $46.99
Optical: Asus DVD burner 24x - $16.99
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 - $114.99

Still gotta buy a 120hz monitor and another video card for sli, but that will be further down the road
Sweet machine dude. I've got the black case Phone Post
7/26/12 9:52 PM
slugshot331

Thank you. One thing that surprised me was the size of the case. It's massive. Phone Post
7/27/12 1:06 AM
TheMountain
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet rig, stellar cable management! Phone Post
7/27/12 1:19 AM
slugshot331

TheMountain -  Sweet rig, stellar cable management! Phone Post
Thanks.  That's another reason I picked this case, tons of room and has great cable management.

7/27/12 2:26 AM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

money is an illusion. 10fps is real
7/29/12 4:57 PM
slugshot331

Diaz 3:16 - money is an illusion. 10fps is real

Lol except in my case, I actually went from 10fps on my old pc to 100-200fps in this one :)
7/30/12 12:44 AM

Nice buddy. I run with vsync on, so I keep most games pinned at 60mhz. Although atm im only playing Dayz and some league of legends.
7/30/12 1:30 AM
slugshot331

Yea I am getting a 120hz monitor this week.  Well worth the money IMO.
7/30/12 8:33 AM
UGCTT_Jobe Watson's Butler
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is it that makes building your own pc cheaper than buying one? Phone Post
7/30/12 8:54 PM
slugshot331

UGCTT_Jobe Watson's Butler -  What is it that makes building your own pc cheaper than buying one? Phone Post
I got to mix and match parts and got discounts/rebates on certain pieces (motherboard/cpu combo from Microcenter, 30$ rebate for my PSU and 40$ rebate for my SSD) and I got windows 7 ultimate for free.  That totaled about 1650$.  A standard Alienware desktop would run you that much BEFORE you choose any upgrades etc (give or take a few bucks).

7/31/12 1:40 AM
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slugshot331 -
UGCTT_Jobe Watson's Butler -  What is it that makes building your own pc cheaper than buying one? Phone Post
I got to mix and match parts and got discounts/rebates on certain pieces (motherboard/cpu combo from Microcenter, 30$ rebate for my PSU and 40$ rebate for my SSD) and I got windows 7 ultimate for free.  That totaled about 1650$.  A standard Alienware desktop would run you that much BEFORE you choose any upgrades etc (give or take a few bucks).

Thanks. I'm moving in less than 2 weeks and I'm wanting to build my own pc. Thankfully, I have a friend who's good with computers helping me out. Phone Post
7/31/12 2:24 AM
slugshot331

No problem. Good luck with that and let us know how the build goes! Phone Post
7/31/12 2:42 AM

slugshot331 - No problem. Good luck with that and let us know how the build goes! Phone Post
I'll be sure to do so! Phone Post
8/5/12 2:01 PM
Meohfumado
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just dumped a bunch of cash on upgrades myself. Can't wait to get them in my rig.

Getting:
i7 Six-core 3.8 Ghz CPU
Rosewill Lightning 1300W Power Supply
ASRock x79 Extreme LGA 2011 Mobo
64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws Z-Series Ram
And another 580 GTX so I can finally SLI
8/5/12 4:43 PM
slugshot331

Meohfumado - Just dumped a bunch of cash on upgrades myself. Can't wait to get them in my rig.

Getting:
i7 Six-core 3.8 Ghz CPU
Rosewill Lightning 1300W Power Supply
ASRock x79 Extreme LGA 2011 Mobo
64 GB G-Skill Ripjaws Z-Series Ram
And another 580 GTX so I can finally SLI
Well worth it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.