UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Passed my CISSP

7/20/12 10:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
E
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never seen so many trick questions on an exam.

Anyone else here have it?
7/22/12 12:22 AM
sicko
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats, I need to get off my ass and finally sign up to take it
7/23/12 12:36 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not I, I've been meaning to get it though. Maybe after my big project wraps up and I have some bench time. How much study was it?
7/23/12 1:13 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trick questions are the best way to assess your knowledge! *Facepalm*
7/23/12 4:09 PM
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've taken the CISSP before. I would 90% or more it doesn't even apply to real life work.
7/23/12 10:35 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tycoon - I've taken the CISSP before. I would 90% or more it doesn't even apply to real life work.

Neither does the CCIE, but you don't see me bitching when someone drops a money bomb on my bank account. ;)

Lots of gubment jobs want it and who am I to tell them it means nothing?
7/24/12 12:44 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

<----is a member of the CISSP club as of back in October. Goddamn longest six hours of my life. I didn't even have the energy to even THINK of braindumping after that thing. My only thought was "Fuck this shit! I want a hamburger." I was shocked as hell when the email came afterwards that I'd passed.

Slack: I took a two-week 8hr/day M-F bootcamp for the thing, but, retardedly enough, put in zilch as far as outside-of-class study. Would not recommend my study strategy to others. Not bragging in the least about passing without studying since it was a really retarded and irresponsible thing for me to have done despite lucking out anyway.

Alls I know is by the end of the day I decided that I someday want to have three daughters named Biba, Bella, and Padula. And maybe two sons named Graham and Denning. Maybe they'll build a chinese wall in the backyard. Yes I need help.

BTW, no matter what prep material you use, I can guarantee that you'll run into some question that makes you think, "Where the fuck did that come from???"
7/24/12 12:50 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bro-tip about the exam: A big part of what the CISSP is about is "All Hail ISC2 and how holy and important it is!" So any question about the ISC2 ethics code or what a CISSP should do in a given situation should stem from that.
8/1/12 4:19 PM
Titan Ape
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slides from a presentation at DEFCON arguing against the worth of a CISSP.

http://attrition.org/security/conferences/why_you_should_not_get_a_CISSP-public.pdf
8/2/12 1:26 AM
Buddhadev

Titan Ape - Slides from a presentation at DEFCON arguing against the worth of a CISSP.

http://attrition.org/security/conferences/why_you_should_not_get_a_CISSP-public.pdf

That pdf makes some very strong points, but that said, a better title for it should be "Why you probably don't need a CISSP" not "Why you should not get a CISSP." If your employer will pay for the exam, it doesn't hurt in the least for you to try your hand at it. A curriculum based upon the CBK is a great bridge for MBA types who want to manage geeks without feeling lost.
8/4/12 1:50 AM
mauler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have both!!!

CCIE is a lot more relevant than a CSSIP... you have to know you way around the IOS to pass the lab portion of the CCIE..
8/4/12 10:11 AM
big_slacker

mauler - I have both!!!

CCIE is a lot more relevant than a CSSIP... you have to know you way around the IOS to pass the lab portion of the CCIE..

Really? Dammit, I thought I was the only IE on here. :)

What track?

FWIW I agree with the slide deck above, but again if it's easy to pass and some employers want it then why not? I wouldn't get it INSTEAD of an IE security or even CCNP Security but if your employer will pay it's just another feather in your cap.
8/8/12 7:19 AM
asdf
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had one, but it's expired.

I saw the slideshow and agree with the points. The only real "do not take the CISSP" point is that you contribute to the certifization of the industry. All the other points are "it dosen't make that much of a difference".

One thing I respect about the CISSP is that unlike other tests, you can not get the answers to the test beforehand. At least they do that.

8/9/12 5:36 AM
Buddhadev

Edited: 08/09/12 5:36 AM
mauler - I have both!!!

"More relevant"...except if you're not (and don't want to be) a network guy. :-P

They're sort of an apples and oranges comparison. CCIE is about job skills and demonstrated depth of expertise in networking.

No one expects a CISSP curriculum to teach you job skills (at least I *hope* no one expects that!).
8/9/12 2:21 PM
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice
10/9/12 12:16 AM
PolandsFinest
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what'd you to study?
10/9/12 8:36 PM
PolandsFinest
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^use Phone Post
10/17/12 9:47 AM
NHBDaddy
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

congrats
3/18/13 2:57 PM
Buddhadev

PolandsFinest - what'd you to study?

Sorry, no one answered this, so in full disclosure, I *didn't* study. :-( Just got lucky as shit.

The Shon Harris vids and books are pretty solid, IMO. And Ms. Harris ("Shon" is a terrible name for a girl, ugh cruel parents) is kind of cute too.

Some prep books for Sec+ will also help a little bit. ISC2 has official training material as well (but they have a "Chinese wall" in between the people who write the questions and the people who make the prep material).

Do you want to self-study or are you going to take a class?

If you're going to self-study. Here's a decent plan...

- Take and pass CompTIA Security+ first (if you can't pass it, forget about CISSP) using some run-of-the-mill prep books (ie, a "for Dummies" book ain't bad).
- Watch all of the Shon Harris CISSP vids
- Read the Shon Harris CISSP prep book cover to cover
- There's great stuff on youtube as well
- GIYF
4/8/13 10:09 PM
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am confused... Did you watch the Videos and Read the book? Wouldn't that be considered studying?
4/11/13 2:35 PM
TheSergeK
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taking my CCENT in a few weeks, then CCNA. Don't you need some other Cisco certs before you take CISSP?
4/12/13 3:13 AM
Buddhadev

Edited: 04/12/13 3:13 AM
Synado - I am confused... Did you watch the Videos and Read the book? Wouldn't that be considered studying?

No, I didn't. My opinion of her stuff is from multiple people who I respect speaking well of it.

Her book *did* make for an awesome paperweight on my desk though. ;-) I might have watched 5 minutes of one of her videos.

Taking my CCENT in a few weeks, then CCNA. Don't you need some other Cisco certs before you take CISSP?

IT'S NOT A CISCO CERT GODDAMMIT!

Sorry, pet peeve. :-/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.