UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Bodyweight Squats for high reps=worthless??

12/27/12 4:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apologies for typos - I had to use my phone browser to use the search function Phone Post
12/27/12 9:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wiggy
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know I'm late to the party on this thread, but here's a few of my thoughts that haven't really been touched on yet...

I look at BW training the same as I do KB training or DB training or sandbag workouts.  While the tool and/or exercises being used are definitely a part of the reason why certain protocols are effective, what's more responsible for the results are the principles being employed in the first place.

By that, I mean if you think BW squats are better than barbell squats, why is that?  Simply saying b/c they're done with bodyweight isn't a good enough answer.

I can do barbell squats for 4 sets x 6 reps with a progressively heavier weight and get strong as hell.  However, if I did BW squats for 4 x 6, it would be largely useless b/c the volume wouldn't be there.

Conversely, if the notion that BW squats for high reps are a good idea, what constitutes "high reps"?  If you do 300 BW squats but I do 200 squats with an empty bar on my back and person #3 can do 100 squats with 135lbs on his back, aside from the total volume being done, is there really a difference?  Not really - the principle being employed in the same.

Tools create fanboys.  Principles create results.

Figure out which principles will lead to the results you desire and proceed from there.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.