UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> What is holding back our BJJ competitors?

8/16/12 10:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AndrewMcInnes
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/17/12 12:40 AM
bjjfighter19
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SayG

"It would be nice if the "provincials" we have here in Ontario made it their focus to sponsor local athletes, and funnelled all profits generated into sending the winners to international competitions. As it stands it's just another tournament.."

FYI- Provincials is sending 4 trips to the 2013 Pans Jiu Jitsu Championships

Ottawa Open in October is doing 4 trips to the 2013 Worlds.
8/17/12 10:51 AM
Jorge Britto
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/17/12 3:41 PM

8/17/12 2:12 PM
GringoBR

not related to this thread title , but related to the last comments about provincials and nationals.

Soon competitors from East Canada will have good news.

8/17/12 2:58 PM
superB

IMO the IBJJF should mofel the wordls more like judo or wrestling. Whether you agree with the way juso competitions have gone in terms of rule changes etc... you can't deny that its structure makes it very easy to get the best people in the world to the right competitions.

But to do that you have to have a system of qualification and the NON-PROFIT assocoiations and societies to take care of those qualifications.

each province has a judo association that works under judo canada. Each province has its own set of qualifications to make the provincial teams. If you make a provincial team you qualify for funding to travel to nationals wherever it may be that year. PLacing at nationals may qualify you as a development athlete for team canada. Then you get sent to some international tournies in north america. As you get better you get moved up the develpment ladder. Thereby getting to go to Major tournies and earning your chance to qualify for worlds/olympics.

But this all takes money so every association collects dues which go to the prov and nat programs. Those associations also get sponsorships and aid from various soures and government programs.

Is Ontario JJ non-profit? I have no idea.

But everybody wants these development programs and opportunities but everyone bitches when they are asked for annual membership dues. And the systems only work if EVERBODY pays into it. If you want to compete in a judo tourny you have to have a prov membership. no exceptions. It covers all the things we are talking about as well as insures these associations from liability.

BUT- until the IBJJF starts having a qualification system,
there is very little room to grow this kind of system of development.

So if you want to see this grow as a "sport" then these kinds of changes need to be made otherwise its never going to always have the elite and only the elite competing at world championships.

if you like the model right now where anyone can go fight and all belt levels can be "world Champions". And its truly an Open tourny then don't complain that nobody is helping develop you as an athlete.

you gotta give to get.

coop
8/17/12 2:59 PM
superB

fyi- i dont edit for spelling

sorry for the FRAT
8/17/12 4:04 PM
1armedScissor

Doesn't the government subsidize Judo Canada?
8/17/12 5:12 PM
superB

1armedScissor - Doesn't the government subsidize Judo Canada?

" But this all takes money so every association collects dues which go to the prov and nat programs. Those associations also get sponsorships and aid from various soures and government programs."

---
^^^
yes, it gets some help thru various government sports programs at both the provincial and federal level because it is a non-profit sporting org.
8/17/12 7:32 PM
1armedScissor

are there any other requirements for subsidies other than being non profit? how are the subsidies for sport allocated? membership base? Phone Post
8/17/12 11:12 PM
I'm Dyxeslic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe we can tell Harper that BJJ is tough on crime and totally digs oil
8/20/12 1:24 PM
Gracie Barra Vernon

Nice posts Robert.

I love the trips to compete in the ibjjf tourneys: I'm not afraid to be "exposed", I'm not worried about my age, I can't remember when I've been injury free but that's okay....

Our club has a mortgage to pay plus all other expenses that are above travel. I can't go as often because it's simply a financial thing.

"He makes outrageous inflammatory statements about other teams and instructors"

-I've had no probs with Josh but unfortunately people do that all the time, even on Facebook pages. Phone Post
8/20/12 3:06 PM
superB

1armedScissor -  are there any other requirements for subsidies other than being non profit? how are the subsidies for sport allocated? membership base? Phone Post

they get their subsidies from various sources. I am not sure what the requirements are. I think that alot of them are only available to non profit org's like judo canada. There is a lot of info on the judo canada site as well as the provincial sites. Contact somebody at Judo Ontario and ask them.

http://www.judocanada.org/the-canadian-judo-federation/

http://www.judoontario.ca/

The hierarchy of judo organizations in canada would be a good one for BJJ to mimic, but only if the IBJJF changes the way they recognize and qualify for their tournies. Its nice to have a very similar sport with a well laid out plan to use as a cheat sheet.
But once again it would mean alot of organization and the willingness of everyone at the club level to pay annual dues, whether they are competitors or not.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.